connja

Top Manager Candidates

4 hours ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

Girardi is holding out for a team that is ready to win or get overpaid like Gruden did with the Raiders.  

Sure. I agree. I’m hopeful Cincy is just too much of a mess. They’ve been one of the worst teams for years. I have held we should at least interview him. It’s embarassing if the Reds can get to the point of an offer and we can’t get a call. I know we are bad and will be but still AL east, have money, a real manager would be a sign of a competent proper quick as possible rebuild.  

I lnow know we will end up with Dempsey or worse but I can have my hopes! 

7 hours ago, MikeAD said:

Still think the best case scenario is Girardi.  Would actually be a sign the team is serious about righting the ship and going big.  If he wants 5 million, great.  He's clearly worth one million more than Buck.  I know it won't happen and we won't even interview him but im still hoping.  

I wouldn't sign him for numerous reasons, the first being he likes to waste peoples time.

I'm still leaning toward Ron Johnson but we'll see what the new FO thinks.

Just now, MemorialStadKid said:

Angels just hired Ausmus. 

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/mlb/2018/10/21/brad-ausmus-manager-los-angeles-angels/1721181002/

You know when we'll know when the Orioles FO is functioning properly? 

When things get done swiftly and correctly. 

Right now, we don't get either. 

MSK

Not really enamored with Ausmus (not enamored with anyone, really) but I agree with the rest.

11 minutes ago, MemorialStadKid said:

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/mlb/2018/10/21/brad-ausmus-manager-los-angeles-angels/1721181002/

MSK

We're hiring the GM and letting him/her hire the manager.  That is the correct way. 
Cinci has interviewed 12 for the job and have hired none to date.  The Twins, Blue Jays, and Rangers all have openings. 

As long as the Orioles make a good hire, I don't care if it's now or 2 or 4 weeks from now.  The team needs to get this right.

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, TonySoprano said:

We're hiring the GM and letting him/her hire the manager.  That is the correct way. 
Cinci has interviewed 12 for the job and have hired none to date.  The Twins, Blue Jays, and Rangers all have openings. 

As long as the Orioles make a good hire, I don't care if it's now or 2 or 4 weeks from now.  The team needs to get this right.

Only two teams need a manager at this point in the season.

29 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Only two teams need a manager at this point in the season.

I missed the Bell hiring in Cinci.  Who did the Rangers, Twins, and Blue Jays hire?

1 hour ago, MemorialStadKid said:

MSK

President/GM searches tend to take some time.   Giants and Mets haven't filled their vacancies yet either.

44 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

I might support Bordick purely to get him out of the broadcast booth.

How about Joey Cora? Think he'd like a chance to manage against his kid brother?

While I completely agree with the reason behind this line of thinking, this is not the rationale I am hoping to see from the crewe selected to rebuild this franchise. 😜

On 10/21/2018 at 10:19 AM, Moose Milligan said:

Not really enamored with Ausmus (not enamored with anyone, really) but I agree with the rest.

Definitely not trying to be negative or anything like that. I want to see the Orioles succeed and I am legit scared for the future of this franchise. 

It seems bleaker than I remember as we don't have a decent farm and no actual direction for the next few years. I know we need a GM/president first so we can determine a direction, but the lack of forward momentum right now is troubling. 

One of the things I've consistently been concerned with is the glacial pace of the FO decisions while other teams work to improve. This was a major cause of contention on this board (especially between 2006 - 2009).

The Marlins singing the Mesas was tough to swallow but we can't make moves like that without a leadership apparatus in place. I don't believe we should "make signings for signings sake" but it would be nice to see *something* happening behind the scenes. 

As I've mentioned in the past, I was a former journalist in Boston and I have connections within the newspaper biz which includes multiple sports desks in various regions. The things my sports writer friends share with me about the Orioles FO is just plain awful and they tell me things have gotten worse since the end of the season. I don't share these things here for many reasons but it isn't pretty folks. 

I'm praying for a silver lining. That's all I want. 

To feel like I did at the beginning of the 2012 postseason. 

MSK 

On 10/21/2018 at 1:27 PM, TonySoprano said:

I see your point, but to his point exactly how many people have the Orioles interviewed for the GM job? Because I've heard nothing. 

9 minutes ago, wildbillhiccup said:

I see your point, but to his point exactly how many people have the Orioles interviewed for the GM job? Because I've heard nothing. 

No great hurry to hire a manager, as far as I'm concerned, though the sooner the better in terms of giving the new guy a chance to evaluate and have input on coaches. 

But a President or GM or whatever (or one of each) has a lot to do between now and spring training. If that person or persons aren't on board by a day or so after the WS ends, I will take it as a negative indication of the Angeloses' ability to make important decisions on a timely basis. 

24 minutes ago, wildbillhiccup said:

No one knows which is why I am not going to make assumptions about it, positive or negative.  I am hoping the Angelos boys have learned from the mistakes of their father.