Sign in to follow this  
Frobby

Internal manager candidates

1 hour ago, weams said:

I believe Boddy Dickerson will get poached if not offered a promotion. He made Manny. 

Manny made Manny.    God given talent.   Even Dickerson would tell you that (and has).    Which isn’t to say that Dickerson didn’t help refine his natural skills.    

“A lot of guys will come out and absolutely kill themselves trying to figure something out and work all day every day.    Manny is just a super talent.   You give him some information, he applies it immediately.   He sees things pretty quickly on a baseball field, so the transitions have been pretty easy for him.”

http://www.masnsports.com/school-of-roch/2018/07/orioles-move-into-second-half-without-machado.html

6 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Manny made Manny.    God given talent.   Even Dickerson would tell you that (and has).    Which isn’t to say that Dickerson didn’t help refine his natural skills.    

“A lot of guys will come out and absolutely kill themselves trying to figure something out and work all day every day.    Manny is just a super talent.   You give him some information, he applies it immediately.   He sees things pretty quickly on a baseball field, so the transitions have been pretty easy for him.”

http://www.masnsports.com/school-of-roch/2018/07/orioles-move-into-second-half-without-machado.html

I think the Platinum glove came as a result of Manny listening to Bobby. And not his agent.  No end to his skills. 

Doesn't matter to me one bit just as long as they don't abuse anybody's arms/playing time and provide a solid example to the players....and don't play any veterans over future centerpieces for the club unless absolutely necessary (health, for example). Otherwise, if the team is going to royally suck, it doesn't matter what name you put out there. 

Does everyone forget all the work Manny put in at 3B before games while he was at Bowie?  That was going on for months secretly.  

Whoever gets the job will be a sacrificial lamb and given no chance to succeed and then likely be disposed of before any real success might be seen with this rebuild, which isn’t guaranteed to work.  And it has to be a good teacher on board with analytics apparently.

Dickerson, Kendall, and Johnson could be that guy.  They all know the game.  But who knows if they fit right in the direction this team supposedly wants to go.  

IMHO the ability of the coaching staff to share data with players in ways that help them improve their individual performances will be key to the rebuild and how long it takes to produce positive results. It's also one of the differences between clubs managed by old-school guys and the new breed of manager.

Whoever gets the job might be a fall guy in a few years, but he and his coaches will need excellent communications skills and the ability to translate data into action plans for players. Are there any internal candidates who fit the bill?

We need a fresh voice from outside the organization. We’re either going to have to go the retread route or a first time manager that isn’t going to be the top candidate. 

This has to be a DD hire all the way. 3 year deal. Who does he have ties to?

If they'd consider a rookie manager, I'd still be intrigued by Bordick.

Whoever it is, I wonder if he might consider promoting Griffin to the parent club. (If it's Johnson in particular, I imagine there's a decent chance of that happening.) Although I vacillate between wanting Griffin to just stay put continuing to develop guys down there and wanting him to get a shot on the top level.

Of course, this is contingent upon Buck actually not returning; I remain hopeful, if not optimistic, that he will. 

Edited by Curse of the Bamdino

On 9/22/2018 at 2:05 PM, weams said:

I believe Boddy Dickerson will get poached if not offered a promotion. He made Manny. 

Manny made Manny. Ok, to be more exact, Manny's parents made Manny. Dickerson helped him in the conversion to third base, but let's not act like Dickerson made Manny into a superstar. Manny's talent made him into a super star.

For me, Kendell, Johnson and Britton are the internal standouts in my opinion. Kendall never played proball, but he's well respected as a manager and talent evaluation.

On 9/22/2018 at 3:19 PM, weams said:

I think the Platinum glove came as a result of Manny listening to Bobby. And not his agent.  No end to his skills. 

Mike Bordick and Denny Hocking worked a lot with Manny and Schoop as well. I'm sure the coaching they got helped, but let's be very clear, Manny's talent is what made him a super star,

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, Tony-OH said:

Mike Bordick and Denny Hocking worked a lot with Manny and Schoop as well. I'm sure the coaching they got helped, but let's be very clear, Manny's talent is what made him a super star,

It is valuable to hear your perspective on this. Bobby gets a lot of hype.