Enjoy Terror

2018-19 Offseason Tracker

Interesting tidbit of information:

Sharlon Schoop was originally signed out of Aruba in 2005 by the Giants, making him the only player in AAA to have 13 minor league seasons under his belt without a call up. He was briefly brought up on a taxi squad last year but didn't actually get purchased.

Only Allen de San Miguel of the Royals has more time, taken out of Australia in 2004, BUT, did not play in 2014 or this year (though he is on the Omaha roster) giving him only 12 seasons.

Francisco Diaz (NYY) and our own Garabez Rosa were each originally signed in 2006 and also have 12 seasons in the minors without a call up. Joel Polanco, bullpen catcher for the Tides, was also a 2006 signing by the Birds but has not played since 2011.

There are five other players signed in 2007 that haven't been called up, and four in 2008, before it opens up to 17 from 2009.

• Upvote 2

Orioles have released the following Minor Leaguers:

Alirio Negrette
Patrick Baker
Mike Burke
Max Hogan
Lucas Humpal
Alex Katz
Matt Trowbridge
Christian Turnipseed
Jose Diaz
Manuel Dominguez
Milton Ramos
Nick Vichio
Jaime Estrada

5 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

I had high hopes for Turnipseed.

I dunno why but his “career” arc reminds me of Ryan Berry or Cam Coffey. Haven’t thought about either in years, but Turnipseed dragged em out.

On 10/19/2018 at 4:10 PM, Enjoy Terror said:

Orioles have released the following Minor Leaguers:

Alirio Negrette
Patrick Baker
Mike Burke
Max Hogan
Lucas Humpal
Alex Katz
Matt Trowbridge
Christian Turnipseed
Jose Diaz
Manuel Dominguez
Milton Ramos
Nick Vichio
Jaime Estrada

Thank you for posting this list.  I'm not too surprised by the names.  Many  had injury issues (Negrette, Baker, and Turnipseed) while others performed poorly.  I'm a tad surprised by Dominguez, since he did rather well and was promoted to Aberdeen at the very end of the season.  Still, he was 24 and just tasting the NYPL.  To me the biggest surprise is Vichio, who pitched to a 2.97 ERA with a 1.062 WHIP at Aberdeen and a 27K/7BB ratio.  I realize he was 23, but you can only perform where they put you.  To me, he couldn't so much more and there are certainly others of the same age and level that did not perform as well.

3 hours ago, Oldorioles said:

Thank you for posting this list.  I'm not too surprised by the names.  Many  had injury issues (Negrette, Baker, and Turnipseed) while others performed poorly.  I'm a tad surprised by Dominguez, since he did rather well and was promoted to Aberdeen at the very end of the season.  Still, he was 24 and just tasting the NYPL.  To me the biggest surprise is Vichio, who pitched to a 2.97 ERA with a 1.062 WHIP at Aberdeen and a 27K/7BB ratio.  I realize he was 23, but you can only perform where they put you.  To me, he couldn't so much more and there are certainly others of the same age and level that did not perform as well.

Maybe another team will pick up Vichio and the O's can trade a bunch of international money for him.