mdbdotcom

Roch: Showalter met with an ownership representative and should already know his fate.

2 hours ago, atomic said:

How does out reporting have to do with anything. They quote both Buck and DD.  You think the Baltimore Sun reporters are lying?  That is ridiculous.  What would they have to gain?

Yes, the Sun reporters quoted Buck and DD.  That doesn't mean that Buck and DD were up front about everything they said.  I am sure Buck knows, but for a reason or reasons did not want to say everything at that point.

Just now, ORIOLE33 said:

Why do I get the feeling that this is going to drag on?

Because you’ll have that feeling so long as it’s dragging on.    Which, at present, it is.   I’m surprised we haven’t had an announcement about at least Buck.    

1 minute ago, Frobby said:

Because you’ll have that feeling so long as it’s dragging on.    Which, at present, it is.   I’m surprised we haven’t had an announcement about at least Buck.    

He is under contract through the end of October, right?

I think Roch said, they said a decision would be announced by the end of the week.

I dont think any OP is happy with the speed of the Oriole FO during the off-season, and I suspect this season, will be magnified.

2 minutes ago, ORIOLE33 said:

Forget it, Jake, it's Oriolestown.

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Why would you be surprised?   Didn't you post that history shows the 7th or 8th would be about normal for the O's?

3 minutes ago, wildcard said:

Why would you be surprised?   Didn't you post that history shows the 7th or 8th would be about normal for the O's?

I didn’t go back to look at how many days elapsed after the end of the season.   I feel like it’s usually pretty short.   Sept. 30 is a bit on the early side for the final day of the season.   

23 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I didn’t go back to look at how many days elapsed after the end of the season.   I feel like it’s usually pretty short.   Sept. 30 is a bit on the early side for the final day of the season.   

At least not until the WS is underway, do you really hear anything, and I think they cant formally announce new hires until after the WS.

It is unfortunate there was no formal announcement for Buck, but once it was decided he would manage the full season, there really was no reason to announce that before yesterday.  That said, someone is in charge and someone has approved what has been termed a rebuild.  That announcement was very well received even if there was/is some debate on the value of the trades that dismantled a team that was going for it and included one of the best position players in team history.  The team also announced it was making some changes including its views on the international market and investing assets in infrastructure of the franchise.  All of that is welcome news, but none of it changes the fact that in 2018, the Baltimore Orioles lost a half a million fans, it's best player, closer, best pitcher, starting second baseman, and more and now also face the expiring contracts of the face of the franchise, it's manager and GM all after losing a franchise record 115 games.  

It would seem, that in the ensuing months, whoever was in charge would be lining up to start this new project.  Excitedly.  If for no other reason to immediately turn the attention from the stench of 2018.  It would not have surprised me at all, if there had been a press conference yesterday with one of the Angelos son's speaking.  Doing so would be a sign to fans that the stated change was real, it would also signal to MLB that the franchise was being operated as a going concern.  And it would have marked the moment allowing attention to be focused and looking forward. Of course longtime fans of Orioles baseball have learned that timetables and standards are so much poppycock and are insignificant to the smartest man in sports, Peter Angelos.  We can hope that his receding from control and the emergence of his son(s) will mark a new and positive era.

It says here, that every single day that announcements go unmade and the status quo remains, is a reminder why so many people believe the franchise has very little forward vision and very little respect for how people view the franchise.  And I don't want to be hyperbolic even though the above certainly looks it.  The off season, or the rebuild started yesterday and all future hope of Oriole success under the Angelos family did not end because news from the Warehouse was absent.  That announcement could come later this week, or next...or later.  Regardless of when it starts, it's going to take time to assemble a competitive team and that includes the very uncomfortable position of figuring out how to handle the 4 years remaining for the player who just had perhaps the worst season of any Oriole, or any MLB player, in any league, in any year.  For all time.

But there is a clock ticking, I do not know when he bell tolls. But if I wanted to show MLB or the fans of the Baltimore Orioles that meaningful changes were in fact on the way, there would be a sense of urgency and it would be palpable.  Tick tock. Tick Tock.

1 hour ago, Redskins Rick said:

At least not until the WS is underway, do you really hear anything, and I think they cant formally announce new hires until after the WS.

Molitor was let go by the Twins today.   

2 hours ago, ORIOLE33 said:

Exactly. It's like the team doesn't care about the fans sometimes. Like, tell us something. 

It could even be this, "We plan to make a decision on the manager position by XX date. We plan to make a decision on the GM position by XX date." Keeping fans constantly in the fog is freaking annoying. Sucks to be an O's fan right now. 

1 hour ago, foxfield said:

It is unfortunate there was no formal announcement for Buck, but once it was decided he would manage the full season, there really was no reason to announce that before yesterday.  That said, someone is in charge and someone has approved what has been termed a rebuild.  That announcement was very well received even if there was/is some debate on the value of the trades that dismantled a team that was going for it and included one of the best position players in team history.  The team also announced it was making some changes including its views on the international market and investing assets in infrastructure of the franchise.  All of that is welcome news, but none of it changes the fact that in 2018, the Baltimore Orioles lost a half a million fans, it's best player, closer, best pitcher, starting second baseman, and more and now also face the expiring contracts of the face of the franchise, it's manager and GM all after losing a franchise record 115 games.  

It would seem, that in the ensuing months, whoever was in charge would be lining up to start this new project.  Excitedly.  If for no other reason to immediately turn the attention from the stench of 2018.  It would not have surprised me at all, if there had been a press conference yesterday with one of the Angelos son's speaking.  Doing so would be a sign to fans that the stated change was real, it would also signal to MLB that the franchise was being operated as a going concern.  And it would have marked the moment allowing attention to be focused and looking forward. Of course longtime fans of Orioles baseball have learned that timetables and standards are so much poppycock and are insignificant to the smartest man in sports, Peter Angelos.  We can hope that his receding from control and the emergence of his son(s) will mark a new and positive era.

It says here, that every single day that announcements go unmade and the status quo remains, is a reminder why so many people believe the franchise has very little forward vision and very little respect for how people view the franchise.  And I don't want to be hyperbolic even though the above certainly looks it.  The off season, or the rebuild started yesterday and all future hope of Oriole success under the Angelos family did not end because news from the Warehouse was absent.  That announcement could come later this week, or next...or later.  Regardless of when it starts, it's going to take time to assemble a competitive team and that includes the very uncomfortable position of figuring out how to handle the 4 years remaining for the player who just had perhaps the worst season of any Oriole, or any MLB player, in any league, in any year.  For all time.

But there is a clock ticking, I do not know when he bell tolls. But if I wanted to show MLB or the fans of the Baltimore Orioles that meaningful changes were in fact on the way, there would be a sense of urgency and it would be palpable.  Tick tock. Tick Tock.

Extremely well put. 

• Thanks 1

Someone at work speculated that maybe the Orioles have offered Buck another position with the Orioles, like head of scouting or something other than the GM position and he is thinking about it before they announce anything.  It makes some sense to me.  If they have already told him he isn't returning as manager it would make no sense what they are waiting for to announce something.  Based on Roch's article it is a safe bet he knows already.  If he turns them down we may never know.

2 minutes ago, accinfo said:

Someone at work speculated that maybe the Orioles have offered Buck another position with the Orioles, like head of scouting or something other than the GM position and he is thinking about it before they announce anything.

944c7a1df4b237175f73b5b1a37195f7_no-no-n