Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Chavez Ravine

Transportation Rants

Recommended Posts

I think this is deserving of it's own rant category.

I used to drive through LA traffic to work. Then I took the bus. Then I moved away and decided it was safe enough to bike to work. Most recently I have been walking. I have ranted about each of those! Although walking is by far the most sane, calm, happy way to get to work, it is not without a strangely high level of stress....even though I live in a modestly sized town. I swear that people have gotten more freaky about driving. Not to mention the decrepit state of the other parts of our transportation system like trains.

This morning I was walking to work past my  local elementary school. The crossing guard was out with blaze yellow vest and flag. A young lady and her two young charges were waiting at the opposite end of the crosswalk. The light for the cross traffic turned yellow. Halfway down the block a fully loaded logging truck (we have such things in Oregon) took the yellow as a challenge to try and blow through the light (in a school zone, during the prime time for children). It was so far away from the intersection I audibly said "no!!"  By the time the logging truck reached the intersection it was going about 50 mph. It blew through the intersection a good 3 seconds or so after the light had turned red. I think the fact that the two kids had an adult with them and the truck took so long to loudly accelerate before blowing through the red light were the only reasons that the pedestrians had time to realize what was happening and thus avoid tragedy. Still, I spent the whole day trying to decompress form thinking about what might have been. I was so shocked I failed to get a license number (the first thing my wife asked).

Chill out people!

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The proliferation of bikes and motorized scooters is very rampant in DC.    Great for the environment but very annoying to drivers, especially since they don’t follow any consistent set of rules.   You’ve got bikes riding with traffic, against traffic, in lanes, between lanes and on sidewalks, and they don’t believe stoplights apply to them.    The scooters are a little more consistent, but impossible to see when they’re in your blind spot.   It’s nerve wracking.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I picked my daughter up from school the other day and I got 2 speeding tickets in the 2 1/2 mile drive.  First one I will give you I was doing 50 mph in a 30 mph zone but second one was 37 mph in a 25 mph zone.  I don't think I was doing 37 mph and it is a 6 lane road. Why the heck is the speed limit 25 mph.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Another gig for our times, "pedestrian manager":

https://nyti.ms/2GHIaAp

Quote

While school crossing guards have long shepherded children across the street, the city’s traffic has become so perilous that now even grown-ups need crossing guards. Officially known as pedestrian safety managers, they are vigilant escorts across some of the city’s busiest intersections.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/25/2018 at 7:53 PM, atomic said:

I picked my daughter up from school the other day and I got 2 speeding tickets in the 2 1/2 mile drive.  First one I will give you I was doing 50 mph in a 30 mph zone but second one was 37 mph in a 25 mph zone.  I don't think I was doing 37 mph and it is a 6 lane road. Why the heck is the speed limit 25 mph.  

called a school zone, why is the school 1 1/2 miles away, they call that a money maker for the tax coffins.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Folks weren't exactly happy, but it was surprising how little ranting went down when the Seattle to LA Amtrak got stuck in a blizzard outside of Eugene. I suppose if you are on an Amtrak train you have a different perspective on time and things.

https://www.cnn.com/2019/02/26/us/oregon-train-passengers-stranded-trnd/index.html

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

B-W Parkway speed limit of 40 MPH between 197 and 32. Ridiculous, Ludicrous, just bloody stupid.

Granted doesnt impact that many OHers, but it does impact some of us, even our lovable Tony-OH was complaining on FB about how stupid the federal government is and their handling of this stretch of road.

Note: This is not a political rant, just government incompetency of the department of the interior and their road mismanagement,  that has existed for decades on this road.

@Tony-OH

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Redskins Rick said:

B-W Parkway speed limit of 40 MPH between 197 and 32. Ridiculous, Ludicrous, just bloody stupid.

Granted doesnt impact that many OHers, but it does impact some of us, even our lovable Tony-OH was complaining on FB about how stupid the federal government is and their handling of this stretch of road.

Note: This is not a political rant, just government incompetency of the department of the interior and their road mismanagement,  that has existed for decades on this road.

@Tony-OH

Haha, no doubt. Are you on my Facebook? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

Haha, no doubt. Are you on my Facebook? 

No, I was bored and reading the wife's facebook account and I saw your post on Anne Arundel First Alert, jump out at me. Like, heck, I know that famous person. :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Redskins Rick said:

No, I was bored and reading the wife's facebook account and I saw your post on Anne Arundel First Alert, jump out at me. Like, heck, I know that famous person. :)

Haha, well I don't know about famous, but I've been known to comment around Facebook on things. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/4/2019 at 1:07 PM, Tony-OH said:

Haha, well I don't know about famous, but I've been known to comment around Facebook on things. 

I had to laugh, sitting on the parkway, and crawling, the portable screen sigh was blank, because none of us was over 40, or near it for that matter. :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

Orioles Information


Orioles News and Information

Daily Organizational Boxscores

News

Tony's Takes

Orioles Roster Resource

Orioles Prospect Information

2018 End of Season Top 30 Prospects List

Prospect Scouting Reports

Statistics

2019 Orioles Stats

2019 Orioles Minor League Stats

Baseball Savant Stats







×
×
  • Create New...