wildcard

Top President / EVP Candidates?

I wish they'd made Duquette president. We didn't know at the time of the firings of Dan and Buck that they were going to hire a president and a GM. I don't know if there are better candidates for the job of president than Duquette.

Well end of week and end of World Series might only be a few days at best.

Roch:

An industry source said yesterday that a top executive could be named later this week, but it hasn’t been confirmed and the process might drag through the World Series. (I realize that isn’t much help, but updates are scarce.)

The Orioles are keeping the interview process private, going off-campus at times, and they don’t figure to change their tactics while filling the other vacancies. Names won’t be laid out before the media and a press conference won’t be arranged until a hire is made.

http://www.masnsports.com/school-of-roch/2018/10/memories-of-managerial-searches.html

• Upvote 1

The MLB hates Us Conspiracy Theory (ie completely ridiculous and not to be taken seriously):

The Orioles have a choice for president, and GM.  They go to MLB and say we are going to announce these choices and think people will respond psoitively.  MLB says the news is too big and will upstage the playoffs/world series. 

Orioles lose VVM.  MLB "not yet." 

Orioles lose Gaston.  MLB "not yet."

Angels announce Ausmus.  MLB "not yet."

Meta announce...MLB "not yet."

WS Ends...MLB "we would still like you to hold off."

Free Agency...MLB "you weren't planning to spend money anyway, right?  So it's cool if you wait a bit."

I think it maybe someone from the Red Sox or Dodgers franchise.  They are still playing so it would make sense for MLB to want to wait for their season to end.  I know in the NFL that teams dont usually hire a guy that teams is still in playoffs or Super Bowl until that teams season is over.

On 10/20/2018 at 11:22 AM, Camden_yardbird said:

This hiring needs to happen soon.  Presume 2-3 weeks after the hiring to interview and hire a GM, and that gives the GM only a couple of weeks to evaluate talent before the Winter Meetings.  Couple this with the need to square up the 40 man roster and this hiring needs to happen post haste.

The truth is, 2019 is going to be a horrible year on the field regardless of who we hire and exactly when.   The job this winter is to start getting the infrastructure in place to bring this team back to relevance over the next 3-5 years.    But the winter meetings are almost irrelevant.  

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Frobby said:

The truth is, 2019 is going to be a horrible year on the field regardless of who we hire and exactly when.   The job this winter is to start getting the infrastructure in place to bring this team back to relevance over the next 3-5 years.    But the winter meetings are almost irrelevant.  

The winter meetings might be irrelevant but hiring good people before they are under contract to other teams isn't.

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I Strongly disagree.  They may not do anything at the winter meetings but they have to prepare for opportunities, they have to establish relationships with other clubs, they have to convince other GMs that this isn't the same old structure where dozens of hours of trade talks will get flushed by the owner veto.  

From a personnel standpoint they have to lay the foundation of future trade whether that's trading away someone like Villar, Bundy or Givens or gauging value on players they may covet in other organizations as new GMs are known to do.

You can't give up on any opportunity to improve, especially if you want that rebuild to be closer to 3 years than 5.

11 minutes ago, Camden_yardbird said:

I Strongly disagree.  They may not do anything at the winter meetings but they have to prepare for opportunities, they have to establish relationships with other clubs, they have to convince other GMs that this isn't the same old structure where dozens of hours of trade talks will get flushed by the owner veto.  

From a personnel standpoint they have to lay the foundation of future trade whether that's trading away someone like Villar, Bundy or Givens or gauging value on players they may covet in other organizations as new GMs are known to do.

You can't give up on any opportunity to improve, especially if you want that rebuild to be closer to 3 years than 5.

Agree.  I'm hoping they make some reasonable free agent signings.  The reality is that some of these kids just are not ready for the show so why bring them up and destroy their confidence or develop bad habits?  It will be hard to sell a rebuild to a free agent but some FAs slip through the cracks every year.  

Being the worst team in baseball is one thing, being lower than AAA quality is another.

4 hours ago, mdbdotcom said:

I wish they'd made Duquette president. We didn't know at the time of the firings of Dan and Buck that they were going to hire a president and a GM. I don't know if there are better candidates for the job of president than Duquette.

Neither Dan nor Buck has been fired, both are under contract until the end of Oct.

They were told that their services would not be required after their contracts were over.

1 hour ago, Can_of_corn said:

The winter meetings might be irrelevant but hiring good people before they are under contract to other teams isn't.

Can’t argue with that.   And that includes the folks that the president and GM would hire.   

A competent owner of an MLB franchise (and John and Lou Angelos appear to be acting as the owners, though I have my suspicions that their father somehow is continuing to contribute to screwing things up) should understood the importance of not having the position of the organization's top baseball person vacant for a significant amount of time. And a competent owner who intends to change the direction of a team should understand the only-slightly-more-subtle disadvantages of having that spot occupied by a lame duck who is not going to be around for the rebuild, or by promoting a holdover employee to serve in that position on an interim basis.  

One of the reasons for avoiding a vacancy, or keeping it as brief as possible, wasn't obvious to me. Much of the baseball calendar is predictable: trade deadlines, amateur draft, signing period for international free agents, winter meetings. But some things pop up independent of that calendar. A trade opportunity, or a shot at a significant international signing, might come up unexpectedly, and the time to act may be short. You really want to have the leader of your front office, your future decision-maker, in place in case something like that comes up.

A competent owner would have seen by the end of 2017 that this team was going to have to undergo a rebuild of some sort. (I hope we're in agreement that the term "competent owner" does not include Peter Angelos.) I'm not clear when John and Lou Angelos acquired the power to make decisions on the direction of the Orioles, but some time no later than, say, June of this year, they should have been planning for the team's future, meaning a rebuild of some kind.

At that point the Angeloses had a few options: They could have decided to stick with Duquette for a few years, either by renewing his contract or by promoting him and bringing in a new GM to serve under him, and staying out of his or their way. They could have fired Duquette and replaced him in mid-season, before the heavy trading of their few valuable assets began. Or they could have decided not to renew Duquette and started identifying potential replacements, so that the process could be concluded and a new leadership team in place promptly after the season ended. (Slight digression: if the Angeloses want to keep control of the team after their father's death, in looking toward gaining approval for a transfer they would be wise to have been consulting, and following suggestions by, Mighty Manfred and other MLB officers. Maybe they've done that.)

It looks like the Angeloses did none of these things. Instead, they appear to have deferred the decision on Duquette almost to the expiration of his contractle and to be moving slowly as well as belatedly in bringing in new leadership. I don't know that to be the case, but that's the way it looks. I find that disappointing, to put it mildly, for four reasons.

First, it's just sound management to avoid, or minimize the duration of, a vacancy in leadership and uncertainty about future leadership. We'll never know whether the Orioles might have signed one or more of the Three Amigos if they had a President and/or GM in place, but it sure wouldn't have hurt to have had someone who could tell them and their people, "I'm going to be running this team for the next few years. I'm going to build a winner, and here's how I see _______ fitting in."

Second, there's an awful lot of of work for a person coming from outside the organization. Front office, scouting, playing and coaching/instructing personnel to evaluate and make hiring/firing/promotion/salary decisions on. Planning for the 40-man roster and whom to non-tender. Organizational elements to study and retain, alter or discard. Budgets to prepare. An analytics group to augment, orient and expand. I just assume that all those decisions will be made better, and improvement will come sooner, if there's more time to make them. 

Third, according to everything I've read, one of Peter Angelos's many shortcomings was a chronic inability to make prompt decisions. When his sons seem to display the same inability, as well as to continue Peter's frustrating unwillingness to talk to the media or directly to the team's fans about what is going on, that fuels my fears that the new bosses may turn out to be the same as the old boss in important and destructive ways. (A related but separate point. One of the Orioles' problems in recent years has been the lack of clarity, to other teams with which they might make deals and to their own disillusioned fans, as to who was in charge -- Peter? Duquette? Brady? Brady and Buck? Peter and John? Brady and Peter? That situation has changed, but it remains as murky as ever. Part of the problem is the consistent suggestion that John and Lou are in control. How does that work if they disagree? That division of authority won't fly under the MLB Constitution and practices, and MLB reportedly has told the Angeloses to vest final authority in a single person.)

Fourth, and I hadn't realized this until this week, I retain enough optimism that I look to the signing of a President (and, to a lesser extent, a GM) for reassurance that the Angeloses are honest and credible when they say the new hire(s) will have full authority for the rebuild, without their meddling, and that the Orioles are going to invest significantly more resources  in international free agents, scouting and analytics. I believe the Angeloses are telling candidates that, but I have concerns, to put it mildly, that those candidates will take their word for it. Given the Orioles' history, and John and Lou's lack of a track record of spending on those things or deferring to baseball experts (other than complicity in and silence about their father's quarter-century of meddling), why should they?

I'm hoping, maybe naively, for the hiring of a President and/or GM with a sterling reputation, who should have other current or near-term options to run an MLB team, as a sign that the Angeloses have convinced at least one or two discerning people that they intend to, and are likely to, live up to the promises of non-interference and investment in international talent, scouting and analytics. On the other hand, the slow progress that's being made makes me concerned that some very strong candidates aren't buying those promises, or that they're being made half-heartedly. Not a good sign.

I hope I'm wrong about almost all of this. Maybe there will be a great hire(s) announced tomorrow (a World Series travel day), and he or she will start re-making the Orioles right away. And maybe Chris Davis will make a big comeback in 2019.

• Upvote 4

1 hour ago, Redskins Rick said:

Neither Dan nor Buck has been fired, both are under contract until the end of Oct.

They were told that their services would not be required after their contracts were over.

Yeah, they were fired.

7 minutes ago, spiritof66 said:

A competent owner of an MLB franchise (and John and Lou Angelos appear to be acting as the owners, though I have my suspicions that their father somehow is continuing to contribute to screwing things up) should understood the importance of not having the position of the organization's top baseball person vacant for a significant amount of time.

Disagree on much of this.  Most teams will not allow employee's to interview during the year.  So by firing your GM during the season, you're largely limited to candidates that are currently unemployed.  I don't really have a problem with waiting until the season is over to let either Buck or Dan go and they did it fairly quickly once the season was over.  Also, they appear to be moving forward on the hire of a team president in a systematic way and I think it's much more important that they pick a good candidate than that they do it quickly, within reason.

9 minutes ago, mdbdotcom said:

Yeah, they were fired.

I do not agree

Baltimore Orioles manager Buck Showalter and general manager Dan Duquette will not return next season, the team announced Wednesday

Showalter and the Orioles posted a 47–115 record this season, which put them at the bottom of the American League East standings. Both Showalter and Duquette are currently completing contracts that conclude at the end of the month.