wildcard

Top President / EVP Candidates?

1 hour ago, Moose Milligan said:

I think the Mets job is probably better than the Orioles job by a good stretch.  

The Mets GM job might pay more. That's for sure. The only person that is meaningful in this process is the person who is chosen to manage the rebuild, the team president of baseball operations. 

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, weams said:

Chaim Bloom is not a finalist for the Orioles Presidency. That person will make all of the other hires. Chaim was being considered as a GM only. Perhaps the new boss of the Orioles will offer him an interview. 

Has this been reported somewhere?

31 minutes ago, weams said:

The Mets GM job might pay more. That's for sure. The only person that is meaningful in this process is the person who is chosen to manage the rebuild, the team president of baseball operations. 

Can't wait until tomorrow to find out who it is!

At the very least, we can assume that an announcement is coming no later than Thursday, which is the day after the World Series ends if it goes 7 games, which is unlikely at this point.  Based on the moves announced yesterday that several of Duquette’s hires would not be retained, it’s very possible that the President of Baseball Ops is already in place but hasn’t been announced yet.  It’s not clear if a GM is in place yet it not, but it’s reasonable to think one could be, or at the very least the President knows who they want to hire.

One thing we may want to keep in mind with all of this is the possibility that the Angelos family may be preparing to sell the team, considering Peter is in poor health and there are major estate taxes due upon his death as the owner of the team.  I would think that if they are in fact planning to sell (which could be sooner than we all think) that this likely has come up in interviews with President candidates, and we don’t know if or how this may have affected interest in the job, considering all the uncertainty.  That could also have something to do with the secretiveness of the whole interview process, and the fact that no one seems to have any idea what the Orioles are doing.  This is all purely speculation on my part, but I think we have to at least consider the possibility of it.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, raypetty said:

Ned Colletti

I'm sure this is your opinion only and a pretty good chance it happens once the series is over....but you should provide more detail that it is indeed your opinion or add a source.

Just now, Roll Tide said:

I'm sure this is your opinion only and a pretty good chance it happens once the series is over....but you should provide more detail that it is indeed your opinion or add a source.

Sorry Roll but it's my opinion.  If I had evidence I would provide a link, I assure you. :)

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Roll Tide said:

I got a feeling that Weams knows though and am guessing that Colletti will be our new President of Operations.

11 minutes ago, raypetty said:

I got a feeling that Weams knows though and am guessing that Colletti will be our new President of Operations.

I don’t think Weams knows who it is.  I think he’s just speculating that Bloom wasn’t being considered for the President job, and that’s a reasonable assumption considering he has been only a co-GM (really 2nd in command to Neander) for a short period of time.

All I will say is this.  If Colletti is the pick for President, I will be very disappointed.  While he may have the track record and experience for that role, I just don’t think he’s the best choice.  I would much rather have Cherington, if it was a choice between the two of them.

1 hour ago, Obando said:

I don’t think Weams knows who it is.  I think he’s just speculating that Bloom wasn’t being considered for the President job, and that’s a reasonable assumption considering he has been only a co-GM (really 2nd in command to Neander) for a short period of time.

All I will say is this.  If Colletti is the pick for President, I will be very disappointed.  While he may have the track record and experience for that role, I just don’t think he’s the best choice.  I would much rather have Cherington, if it was a choice between the two of them.

If Colletti is hired, I'll be both disappointed that we didn't get someone more likely to be innovative and creative, and relieved we did get an experienced professional to take the job and can move forward. It could be a lot worse.

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, spiritof66 said:

If Colletti is hired, I'll be both disappointed that we didn't get someone more likely to be innovative and creative, and relieved we did get an experienced professional to take the job and can move forward. It could be a lot worse.

I think the GM hire is the place to really make the big impact. It's fine to go with Colletti or someone similar to oversee the entire operation. I'm hoping he has identified the next hot shot baseball executive to be his GM.