scOtt

Sandy Gaston (Orioles miss out)

3 minutes ago, Redskins Rick said:

Its also not money different from their operating budget money, just a set limit they can spend out of their pocket.

Right.

Not sure what your point is but that is indeed how it works.

Wow - not sure I've ever seen this level of venom spewed at our front office/ownership in 15 plus years at the OH.  Lots of it deserved and much of it falls into the "ownership brought this on themselves" category.

I will only point out the following:

- the most important decision in front of this team is the hiring of a new GM.  It might come sooner, maybe later, but it is most important that we get a good one.  Considering the other vacancies have not been filled, I don't consider our ownership running the team (the Angelos brothers) to be late in making this decision.  I realize the brothers have had some time to compose a good list, but the ownership of the other vacancies also had time to prepare a list.  Historically speaking, I would not consider today or this week to be "late" in selecting the new GM.  Perhaps a top candidate is with a team in the WS.  

- I have heard mention that there may be folks in the warehouse who don't know if they will be retained or not.  So what?  Most here would say a good cleansing in the warehouse is long overdue, but, regardless, businesses go through changes and there are periods where employees are let go.  I had a major bank acquire the business I was a divisional CFO for and six years later most of the management was let go.  I have survived layoffs and not survived layoffs.  These things happen.  The good news is that the economy doing very well right now and it might be as good a time as any in the past 30 years to be looking for a job.

- we lost out on the young Cubans because they probably wanted to land in Florida and Florida teams found the $ to land them.  Not a surprise.  I will say that we put our name in the hat and had competitive bids.  That's about the best the Os could have done in the process, IMO, folks dreaming up power negotiating tactics that might only work on the folks that dream them up!  Getting a good international presence together is going to take years and there was an opportunity in front of the Os and it didn't work out.  So, either you can now go pout about the Gausman trade not working out or you can say that we tried.  Sometimes, those risks don't pan out but you take them anyway.  I am fine with that.  I am fine with not overpaying for Gaston by $1M as some have suggested.

Let's keep our eye on the prize and hire a good GM!  It is order of business number 1!

• Upvote 3

The Braves are in the penalty phase as well so I don't see how the Orioles were harmed. The hard cap will do away with the penalty phase soon enough.

2 minutes ago, hoosiers said:

Wow - not sure I've ever seen this level of venom spewed at our front office/ownership in 15 plus years at the OH.  Lots of it deserved and much of it falls into the "ownership brought this on themselves" category.

I will only point out the following:

- the most important decision in front of this team is the hiring of a new GM.  It might come sooner, maybe later, but it is most important that we get a good one.  Considering the other vacancies have not been filled, I don't consider our ownership running the team (the Angelos brothers) to be late in making this decision.  I realize the brothers have had some time to compose a good list, but the ownership of the other vacancies also had time to prepare a list.  Historically speaking, I would not consider today or this week to be "late" in selecting the new GM.  Perhaps a top candidate is with a team in the WS.  

- I have heard mention that there may be folks in the warehouse who don't know if they will be retained or not.  So what?  Most here would say a good cleansing in the warehouse is long overdue, but, regardless, businesses go through changes and there are periods where employees are let go.  I had a major bank acquire the business I was a divisional CFO for and six years later most of the management was let go.  I have survived layoffs and not survived layoffs.  These things happen.  The good news is that the economy doing very well right now and it might be as good a time as any in the past 30 years to be looking for a job.

- we lost out on the young Cubans because they probably wanted to land in Florida and Florida teams found the $ to land them.  Not a surprise.  I will say that we put our name in the hat and had competitive bids.  That's about the best the Os could have done in the process, IMO, folks dreaming up power negotiating tactics that might only work on the folks that dream them up!  Getting a good international presence together is going to take years and there was an opportunity in front of the Os and it didn't work out.  So, either you can now go pout about the Gausman trade not working out or you can say that we tried.  Sometimes, those risks don't pan out but you take them anyway.  I am fine with that.  I am fine with not overpaying for Gaston by $1M as some have suggested.

Let's keep our eye on the prize and hire a good GM!  It is order of business number 1!

Word from Roch is both the Rays and Marlins offered more money.  Not sure how offering less than the Florida teams counts as making competitive bids.

7 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Word from Roch is both the Rays and Marlins offered more money.  Not sure how offering less than the Florida teams counts as making competitive bids.

Unreal but we are fully used to this bs.  Is there any reason for we hardy denizens of this site to actually care about current ownership?  Oh well, other than to constantly be amazed at the incompetence they continually display.

16 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Why did the Marlins rush out and  trade for more cap space?

3 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

The agent for the Mesa brothers did a nice job?

Es un hombre sincero de donde crece la palma .....oh yeah - he's that singer

2 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

The agent for the Mesa brothers did a nice job?

The Marlins bid against themselves? Not likely . Another team obviously had a bid on the table that the agent used as leverage.  

1 minute ago, Whammer said:

The Marlins bid against themselves? Not likely . Another team obviously had a bid on the table that the agent used as leverage.  

If I'm the agent I'm telling the Marlins that the O's are all in with their slot money but that the Mesa brothers want to play in Miami so if they can max out their cap room they will sign with the Marlins.

How do the Marlins know what the Orioles' top bid is?  They knew pretty much how much slot room the O's had left.

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2018/10/orioles-face-uncertainty-on-international-market.html

It’s a tad ironic to say to Baltimore, a team long mired behind their big-spending rivals in Boston and New York, that money won’t buy the top players in the market. But the fact remains that, in this case, the O’s had the ability to outspend just about anyone on the market, only to find that said financial firepower just wasn’t enough.

The Baltimore Sun’s Jon Meoli points out that, in and of itself, losing out to a team with deep Cuban roots who spent the last month accumulating enough pool money to compete with Baltimore’s league-leading sum doesn’t even rank on the scale of the organization’s recent disappointments. Still, the Orioles’ longstanding failures and disinterest in developing Latin American players suggests a deleterious operating procedure that’s becoming an unfortunate trademark of the organization.

Ghiroli, Meoli and Connolly all touched on a similar sentiment: the optics here are bad for Baltimore, at a minimum. Casting final judgment on the Orioles’ use of their international pool money, at this stage, is premature. The international signing period is not yet done, and the O’s may, theoretically, still have a plan. But in a year when they lost 115 games, bid adieu to their franchise player, and oversaw massive organizational upheaval, the Orioles sure needed a win, and the international market seemed like the place to get it. Now, that avenue carries far less certainty.

Taiwanese slugger Wang Po-Jung will reportedly be posted for MLB teams, though despite his otherworldly production in the Chinese Professional Baseball League, there’s not much reason to think he’s the sort of player that would headline an international class. Perhaps there will be a bonus-restricted amateur unexpectedly posted from Nippon Professional Baseball or the Korea Baseball Organization who gives the Orioles a mulligan to take advantage of their financial firepower, but right now it seems hard to envision them capitalizing on their considerable bonus pool.

4 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

If I'm the agent I'm telling the Marlins that the O's are all in with their slot money but that the Mesa brothers want to play in Miami so if they can max out their cap room they will sign with the Marlins.

How do the Marlins know what the Orioles' top bid is?  They knew pretty much how much slot room the O's had left.

For standard in-demand free agents, how do any teams know how much other teams are bidding?  Its all a big secret and everybody essentially bids against themselves?  Don't think so.

4 hours ago, baltfan said:

Ridiculous they can trade away slots that they can't use.  Undermines the punishment.

No, they can use the money, but they can only spend so much for one player, which is $300k.  They could use all of it for players, they just can't go over that amount for one guy.  

Now, the Braves with their penalty will also fall under that rule for years, but this year, they couldn't use it at all, but could still trade it away.  That should not have been allowed to happen.  

3 hours ago, NCRaven said:

Brach - $250k

Barraclough - $1mil

Seems like DD didn't do too well there, either.

Barraclough has three more years of team control, whereas Brach was struggling and was a rental piece.