Jump to content
Bahama O's Fan

When will the Orioles Announce hirings?

Recommended Posts

18 hours ago, luismatos4prez said:

A few notes from Keith Law's Q&A about the Orioles:

Q: Jomar Reyes had a good finish to 2018.  Still a rising prospect for O’s?

A: No, that ship has probably sailed

Q: Keith, where do the Orioles go next?

A: I'm very curious to see where they go; I thought Showalter had to go, but Duquette had to do that job with one hand tied behind his back, and there was a credible argument that he should stick around to get to fully execute his vision with a manager of his choice who wouldn't work at cross purposes to his own. I can certainly think of a few names of GM candidates who'd be great fits.

Q: Does Ryan Mountcastle have enough of an arm to stay at 3B?  Does Grenier have enough of a bat to be a regular SS?

A: Probably not, probably yes, in that order.

Q:  Does Brady Anderson's continued presence hinder the Os from getting a good GM candidate to consider taking the job?

A: One of the questions any candidate should ask in the interview is whether Anderson will report to the new GM or to ownership. The only acceptable answer is the former. The latter is a dealbreaker

Respectfully disagree with the last one. The question should be "does Anderson report to HR, collect his final paycheck, and sail off into the sunset". 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Based on needs, I tink Kim Ng as President and Jason McLeod as GM would do the organization a world of good. They both have their own niches where they've independently very strong and McLeod already has experience in doing exactly what it is Baltimore is wanting to do. Up until this year I would have said he wasn't available, as he has turned down every promotion offered since coming to the Cubs, but I think the mystique is wearing off after this disappointing season.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, wildbillhiccup said:

Respectfully disagree with the last one. The question should be "does Anderson report to HR, collect his final paycheck, and sail off into the sunset". 

Glad you are the final authority on all things Orange! :):):)

I do not believe any of us on OH, can rightfully say if Brady needs to stay or go.

None of us have any knowledge of the inside situation.

I will leave it for the new GM, the new President and ownership to sort out.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Redskins Rick said:

Glad you are the final authority on all things Orange! :):):)

I do not believe any of us on OH, can rightfully say if Brady needs to stay or go.

None of us have any knowledge of the inside situation.

I will leave it for the new GM, the new President and ownership to sort out.

...and now I have "Should I Stay or Go" by the Clash stuck in my head now!

Seriously though, it has less to do with Brady's ability and more to do with the autonomy he's been given. Even if they hire someone and tell Brady that he needs to report to that person I think it's just a matter of time before he circumvents the chain of command, bypasses his boss, and goes straight to ownership. We all suspect that he's done it before and I don't think you can close Pandora's box once it's been opened. Whomever they hire needs to be given full control and allowed to select his/her entire team. So even if the Orioles don't fire Anderson, the new GM and/or President of Baseball Operations needs to have the ability to fire him. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, wildbillhiccup said:

...and now I have "Should I Stay or Go" by the Clash stuck in my head now!

Seriously though, it has less to do with Brady's ability and more to do with the autonomy he's been given. Even if they hire someone and tell Brady that he needs to report to that person I think it's just a matter of time before he circumvents the chain of command, bypasses his boss, and goes straight to ownership. We all suspect that he's done it before and I don't think you can close Pandora's box once it's been opened. Whomever they hire needs to be given full control and allowed to select his/her entire team. So even if the Orioles don't fire Anderson, the new GM and/or President of Baseball Operations needs to have the ability to fire him. 

I am sure, this will be a concern of the future GM and.or President of Baseball, during their interviews, asking about Brady and finding out the inside reality, vs the outside perception, and yes, if he stays, they need to have total authority, which is something that I believe I heard that the sons want to provide the GM and POB.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Brady holds too much sway with the Angelo's brothers to be kicked out. My guess is, just like we had to settle for DD because everyone was concerned with meddling from PA, we will have to settle for a new GM who is lacking for fear of meddling from Brady. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
53 minutes ago, Redskins Rick said:

Glad you are the final authority on all things Orange! :):):)

I do not believe any of us on OH, can rightfully say if Brady needs to stay or go.

None of us have any knowledge of the inside situation.

I will leave it for the new GM, the new President and ownership to sort out.

No authority here..but I don't agree.  Personally I think he has to go, but should he stay, it almost has to be at the top.

And while that could very well work, I would point out that both windows of success in Baltimore under Angelos included highly professional widely known and respected leaders at the top of the FO and in the dugout.  Pat Gillick/Davey Johnson and Buck/DD.

Obviously it doesn't have to be that way, but 25 years of mostly failure should not scream to anyone that the Orioles should promote from within.  To think otherwise is almost certainly wishful thinking based on the part of folks who remember Brady fondly and want him to succeed.  

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, foxfield said:

No authority here..but I don't agree.  Personally I think he has to go, but should he stay, it almost has to be at the top.

And while that could very well work, I would point out that both windows of success in Baltimore under Angelos included highly professional widely known and respected leaders at the top of the FO and in the dugout.  Pat Gillick/Davey Johnson and Buck/DD.

Obviously it doesn't have to be that way, but 25 years of mostly failure should not scream to anyone that the Orioles should promote from within.  To think otherwise is almost certainly wishful thinking based on the part of folks who remember Brady fondly and want him to succeed.  

I made not one iota bit of information to imply that I wanted Brady to get promoted.

I want the new GM and the POB to have authority over Brady and the decision to retain or not to retain should be there.

If they chose to keep him on in the executive office, then so be it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'd love to see us install Cherington. 

He oversaw the build of Boston's 2013 WS Championship team. 

He's got deep roots in scouting, development, etc. 

He's young, and he's never REALLY had a chance to run a baseball team. In Boston, he was constantly being undermined... and finally resigned when they brought in Dombrowski (again, Boston ownership forced him to hire Bobby Valentine, for example, who sucked. And then they pushed Cherinton aside when Dombrowski came in! 

I bet he's hungry as hell. He knows the AL East. And he's a modern baseball mind, in terms of analytics, etc.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Bradysburns said:

I'd love to see us install Cherington. 

He oversaw the build of Boston's 2013 WS Championship team. 

He's got deep roots in scouting, development, etc. 

He's young, and he's never REALLY had a chance to run a baseball team. In Boston, he was constantly being undermined... and finally resigned when they brought in Dombrowski (again, Boston ownership forced him to hire Bobby Valentine, for example, who sucked. And then they pushed Cherinton aside when Dombrowski came in! 

I bet he's hungry as hell. He knows the AL East. And he's a modern baseball mind, in terms of analytics, etc.

His wife does marketing for the Yankees. Maybe a twofor deal.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Tryptamine said:

Based on needs, I tink Kim Ng as President and Jason McLeod as GM would do the organization a world of good. They both have their own niches where they've independently very strong and McLeod already has experience in doing exactly what it is Baltimore is wanting to do. Up until this year I would have said he wasn't available, as he has turned down every promotion offered since coming to the Cubs, but I think the mystique is wearing off after this disappointing season.

Kim Ng would also bring a lot of credibility with MLB Central and Commisioner’s office and might help repair some of the the hostility between the senior Angelos regime and MLB. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, Larry18 said:

His wife does marketing for the Yankees. Maybe a twofor deal.

Good idea -- we could use an improvement over "This is Birdland."

Birdland is a jazz club, for pete's sake. And it's in NYC.

How about a new slogan, like: "We're gonna suck for awhile! But tickets are cheap!"

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, Bradysburns said:

Good idea -- we could use an improvement over "This is Birdland."

Birdland is a jazz club, for pete's sake. And it's in NYC.

How about a new slogan, like: "We're gonna suck for awhile! But tickets are cheap!"

I think Birdland gets pushed a lot by MASN.

Quote

It’s both in a way. Oriole Park at Camden Yards is certainly “Birdland.” It’s the city center of all that is Oriole fandom, but Birdland is bigger than merely the Yard.

Birdland reaches to wherever you take your Oriole fan pride, and the Where is Birdland?” photo galleries on Orioles.com encourage fans to share exactly where they’ve taken the Orioles name and logo with them around the globe

http://www.masnsports.com/orioles-buzz/2009/10/where-is-birdland.html

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/4/2018 at 1:59 PM, Greg Pappas said:

The following are my current favorite GM candidates, but I'd love to get everyone's thoughts on who they'd like, and why:

Jason McLeod, SVP of Player Development/Scouting, Cubs
Yet another Epstein disciple, McLeod has been part of the Cubs' brain trust since November 2011 as the club's senior VP of player development and amateur scouting. McLeod has been considered a future GM for a few years, though he signed an extension with the Cubs that runs through 2021. During his time in Chicago, he's overseen the selection of first-rounders Albert Almora Jr., Kris Bryant and Kyle Schwarber in consecutive years.

Jared Porter, Assistant GM, D'backs
As part of the Theo Epstein tree that has produced a wealth of front-office talent, Porter has been a part of four World Series championship clubs with the Red Sox and Cubs. Porter joined Diamondbacks GM Mike Hazen (another Epstein disciple) in Arizona in November 2016, taking over as the D-backs' senior vice president and assistant GM. Porter is well-respected among scouts, coaches and player development folks, his experience in several areas making him an ideal GM candidate.

Amiel Sawdaye, Senior Vice President & Assistant General Manager, D'Backs
The 41-year old Baltimore native graduated from the University of Maryland in 1999 with a degree in decisions information systems and has an affinity for analytics.  He currently oversees the D'Backs' amateur and international scouting and assists GM Mike Hazen on all facets of baseball operations. He is a former Red Sox Vice President of International and Amateur Scouting and drafted such talent as include Jackie Bradley Jr., Mookie Betts, and Andrew Benintendi, and was part of three world championship teams during his tenure. Here's an in-depth interview, wherein he discusses a multitude of job-related topics: 

Chaim Bloom, Senior Vice President of Baseball Operations, Rays
A finalist for GM openings in Milwaukee and Philadelphia, Bloom has established a stellar reputation during his 13-year run with Tampa Bay. When Andrew Friedman left for Los Angeles in 2014, Bloom was promoted to the Rays' VP of baseball operations, adding the senior VP title in '16. Erik Neander holds the GM title, though the duo works in concert when it comes to the club. For Bloom, the opportunity to run his own team -- especially a big-market club in close proximity to his native Philly -- would be an interesting possibility.

Tim Naehring, VP of Baseball Operations, Yankees
One of Brian Cashman's most trusted lieutenants, Naehring has developed a reputation as one of the best talent evaluators in the game. The former Red Sox infielder would join Jerry Dipoto as the only former big league players in a GM position, though it remains to be seen whether Naehring would even be interested in leaving the Bronx after spending more than a decade working for Cashman.

This is a nice list.  I would add Mike Elias of the Astros to it:

http://houston.astros.mlb.com/hou/team/exec_bios/elias_mike.html

I am not a Cherington fan.  The Panda and Hanley Ramirez trades kind of soured me on him.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


Orioles Information


Orioles News and Information

Daily Organizational Boxscores

News

Tony's Takes

Orioles Prospect Information

2018 End of Season Top 30 Prospects List

Prospect Scouting Reports

Statistics

2019 Spring Training Stats

Baseball Savant Stats

Minor League Stats







×
×
  • Create New...