Luis Ortiz - RHP - 2018 #12 Prospect

2 hours ago, Camden_yardbird said:

Sid Fernandez 

Livan Hernandez

David Wells

Fernando Valenzuela 

Bartolo Colon

Brad Penny

All fairly recent outside of Sid and Fernando. There are a large number of large relievers who have had good careers as well.

mlb_1903worldseries_800.jpg

On 11/13/2018 at 9:23 PM, Frobby said:

Of course, it depends how you define no. 3 starter.    But I’d say Aaron Harang or Carlos Zambrano fit the bill.   CC was better than a 3, Obviously.  

CC is the best example of a guy who has really suceeeded.   Bartolo’s build when he was young was more similar to Bundy’s now.  

On 11/13/2018 at 10:08 AM, Frobby said:

Interesting guy.    He seems like someone who could make a jump if he puts in the work on his conditioning, but it’s not clear if he will.   2019 seems like a make or break season for him.  

I wonder if he is a guy that the new executives might be able to help make the jump.

Matt Albers is a good MLB pitcher.  With prospects, this is what they are shooting for. To get paid MLB money for a bit. Most none of them will have average careers. 

o

(JUNE 14th, 2019)

Luis Ortiz has been called up from AAA-Norfolk to start tonight's game against the Red Sox, in place of Andrew Cashner (blister on his finger.)

Ortiz is 2-6 with a 7.01 ERA and a 1.633 WHIP in 11 starts for the AAA-Tides so far this season, but ........ Ortiz is on normal rest, Bundy had an extended bullpen session yesterday and subsequently isn't available, and Hyde had to use too many relievers last night to cover last 5 innings to do a proverbial bullpen game.

SOURCE: ) Roch Kubatko

https://twitter.com/masnRoch/status/1139589034852921344

o

9 minutes ago, OFFNY said:

o

(JUNE 14th, 2019)

Evan Phillips has been called up from AAA-Norfolk to start tonight's game against the Red Sox, in place of Andrew Cashner (blister on his finger.)

Phillips is 2-6 with a 7.01 ERA and a 1.633 WHIP in 11 starts for the AAA-Tides so far this season, but ........ Ortiz is on normal rest, Bundy had an extended bullpen session yesterday and subsequently isn't available, and Hyde had to use too many relievers last night to cover last 5 innings to do a proverbial bullpen game.

o

Roy, think you have a minor mistake here.

• Thanks 1

On 11/14/2018 at 7:48 AM, Tony-OH said:

You are entitled to your opinion, but I disagree. First, he's higher on our list than Tate so we obviously like him more. 

He's rated where he is because of how we see him, and that's a back of the rotation starter who's best role may be in the bullpen. It has nothing to do what system he came from or his pedigree, but based on our analysis from our own scouting of him, our talks with scouts in and out of the organization, and player development people.

Saying he's the best SP talent who made their ML debut with the Orioles since Bundy is not saying much considering the guys who have come after him. Some of the concerns about Ortiz does come from his inability to get and keep himself in shape, but also because he doesn't miss a ton of bats, and his changeup needs to improve.

There is talent in there and there is some ceiling that could make him valuable as a starter still, but the guys above him are just guys we would rather have in our system over Ortiz.

I haven’t yet read the rest of the comments on this post, but after having had a chance to evaluate him, what is your current opinion of him? In the interest of full disclosure, I have to say that my feelings about him are rather pessimistic, but I trust your thoughts.

1 hour ago, OFFNY said:

o

(JUNE 14th, 2019)

Luis Ortiz has been called up from AAA-Norfolk to start tonight's game against the Red Sox, in place of Andrew Cashner (blister on his finger.)

Ortiz is 2-6 with a 7.01 ERA and a 1.633 WHIP in 11 starts for the AAA-Tides so far this season, but ........ Ortiz is on normal rest, Bundy had an extended bullpen session yesterday and subsequently isn't available, and Hyde had to use too many relievers last night to cover last 5 innings to do a proverbial bullpen game.

o

o

BOSTON RED SOX 

Michael Chavis - 1B

Andrew Benintendi - LF

Julio Daniel Martinez - RF

Rafael Devers Calcano - 3B

Xander Bogaerts - SS

B.W. Holt - 2B

Christian Vazquez - C

Jackie Bradley, Jr. - CF

Eduardo Michelle Nunez Mendez - DH

Eduardo Jose Rodriguez Hernandez - LHP )) (6-4, 5.00 ERA)

https://www.baseballpress.com/lineups

o

1 hour ago, Redskins Rick said:

I remember Sid, he lost weight and lost speed off his Heater.

That's Cy, not Sid.

59 minutes ago, Philip said:

I haven’t yet read the rest of the comments on this post, but after having had a chance to evaluate him, what is your current opinion of him? In the interest of full disclosure, I have to say that my feelings about him are rather pessimistic, but I trust your thoughts.

He has a 7.01 ERA and a 1.63 WHIP in AAA this year. I cannot speak for Tony, but it's hard to imagine his profile has improved in Tony's eyes since November. We can always hope that he's just having a bad year for some reason. Maybe it's a change in coaching, information, mechanics, mental, or whatever. Maybe it clicks for the kid. I'm sure DD expected more back when he made the trade last year though.