ISU94

Orioles hire Mike Elias as Executive Vice President and GM

2 minutes ago, NCRaven said:

Elias or Mejdal? Or both?

Well, both would be. But I was referencing Mejdal. 

Don't get me wrong though. Elias was, if not the best, top 2-3 at worst among possible candidates I'd say. 

4 minutes ago, ISU94 said:

Well, both would be. But I was referencing Mejdal. 

Don't get me wrong though. Elias was, if not the best, top 2-3 at worst among possible candidates I'd say. 

We might be getting a chunk of the OG Astros analytics team

https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/careersandeducation/sources-analytics-guru-sig-mejdal-leaving-astros/ar-BBPlHHI

Multiple sources with knowledge of the situation said Mejdal allowed his contract with the team to expire and will pursue other opportunities. Mejdal told MLB.com the decision was his alone.

The Chronicle has also learned Ryan Hallahan, the club’s senior technical architect who joined Mejdal and Mike Fast on that original analytics team in 2012, will leave the organization as well.

Fast, formerly the team’s director of research and development, departed the organization in September.

• Upvote 1

Great choice for many reasons and the Astros value pitching. They have several free agents he might want to bring here including the versatile Marvin Gonzalez (Agent Scott Boras - problem), Charlie Morton ( Agent Andrew Lowenthal) probably can get on a 1 or 2 year deal and Martin Maldonaldo (agent Praver Shapiro). He is 36 years old and worked for the Cardinals at one time. Would Joe Espada bench coach for Astros, 43 years old and from Puerto Rico be his choice for manager? Was with the Yankees as a special assistant to Cashman prior to the Astros. He was a coach with the Marlins prior to that.

• Upvote 1

Great GM hire but VP of BB operations is important too.  It might have made more sense to hire the VP of BB ops before signing our GM.  Maybe we have an agreement with the VP of BB ops but you'd think that would have come out by now or maybe later this AM.  Hopefully.  :)

This would be a terrific hire, even better with Mejdal. I am still skeptical and curious on specifics of course...like how will he adjust working under the great Brady Anderson.....

29 minutes ago, Rene88 said:

This would be a terrific hire, even better with Mejdal. I am still skeptical and curious on specifics of course...like how will he adjust working under the great Brady Anderson.....

I don’t know how the Brady thing will work out, but I’d be shocked if a guy like Elias who has plenty of opinions would sign up to work under Brady Anderson. So that makes me think Anderson won’t be a factor.

• Upvote 1

Elias is currently the Houston Astros assistant general manager, in charge of scouting and player development. He has been with the organization since 2012 and has been working in Major League Baseball since 2007.

If he joins the Orioles, Sig Mejdal could follow after serving as the Astros special assistant to the GM, per Mark Feinsand of MLB.com.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2805968-mike-elias-reportedly-to-be-named-orioles-general-manager