Jump to content
ISU94

Orioles hire Mike Elias as Executive Vice President and GM

Recommended Posts

31 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

I also don't care about Elias.  Sorry.

I mean, nice hire, analytics, young, Yale, wow, I'm impressed.  Can this guy go into a room,  give Angelos (or his sons)  and/or Brady the finger and tell them to get out of the way?

Plenty a good baseball man hasn't been able to survive working for the Orioles for 25+ years now.  I'd be thrilled to be wrong but I'm not believing it until I see results.  And results include reports that PGA (I know, I know, he's apparently not involved anymore...want to buy a bridge?) or the sons are not involved on decisions.  

If you're gonna give this yuppie the job, it doesn't matter unless he has free reign.  Until then, it's more of the same.  A golf clap to the Orioles for at least making a turn towards analytics and advanced analysis, congrats on being 15 years too late to the party.

I think people are overplaying the Brady disdain, especially now that father Angelos isn't running the ship any longer. Most of the actions that have been happening so far have been the right moves since the trade deadline. Well, minus the actual trades themselves (they were terrible). 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, tntoriole said:

I agree completely.  I am very pleased with the hire.  Mike Elias was one of my very first picks for this job (and a number of people had the "Oh why would anyone ever come here" response).  But the devil is always in the details.  I will await the press conference and then to see where the winter offseason goes.   But Brady Anderson needs to go or nothing will change.  Nothing.  

I don't know that we can say that. Just by virtue of having a new GM and new field manager, things will change. It will be interesting, though, to see just how much clout Brady has with the Angelos sons. Maybe Elias likes Brady and will want to keep him on and adjust his role. We don't know yet. 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, LookitsPuck said:

I think people are overplaying the Brady disdain, especially now that father Angelos isn't running the ship any longer. Most of the actions that have been happening so far have been the right moves since the trade deadline. Well, minus the actual trades themselves (they were terrible). 

I dont think the Brewers think they got the better end of their trade.

 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, section18 said:


Great choice for many reasons and the Astros value pitching. They have several free agents he might want to bring here including the versatile Marvin Gonzalez (Agent Scott Boras - problem), Charlie Morton ( Agent Andrew Lowenthal) probably can get on a 1 or 2 year deal and Martin Maldonaldo (agent Praver Shapiro). He is 36 years old and worked for the Cardinals at one time. Would Joe Espada bench coach for Astros, 43 years old and from Puerto Rico be his choice for manager? Was with the Yankees as a special assistant to Cashman prior to the Astros. He was a coach with the Marlins prior to that.

when-is-dog-panting-abnormal-526272290.j

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Good morning all... is this Elias hiring official, as the thread title indicates? I just woke up, so I feel out of the loop a bit? Also, Roch said we were absolutely hiring a President type first... so is that out the window now? Thanks.

 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

Fire sale?  More like a wino in an alley trying to light a book of damp matches in order to keep warm.  We didn't get anyone good back.

I'm outta here for the next little bit, I've got some work to do.  I didn't mean to pee (too much) on this glorious day where the next sucker to work for the Angelos family has been hired.  I just can't help it.  We've been fooled too many times before.  

Alright you sons of... you know how I feel.

41aeMJBeGqL.jpg

WTF?  By the time you return, all of the rumors will be termed "fake news" but whatevs .... have a blessed day!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Greg Pappas said:

Good morning all... is this Elias hiring official, as the thread title indicates? I just woke up, so I feel out of the loop a bit? Also, Roch said we were absolutely hiring a President type first... so is that out the window now? Thanks.

 

It's not official yet. Roch has since changed his tune a bit to say that the titles could change, but that two hires would be made (President + GM *OR* GM + Assistant). In this case, that means Elias and Mejdal, we assume.

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, interloper said:

It's not official yet. Roch has since changed his tune a bit to say that the titles could change, but that two hires would be made (President + GM *OR* GM + Assistant). In this case, that means Elias and Mejdal, we assume.

Thank you. Elias would be a quality hire... and as long as he has autonomy, we should be off to a good start in this rebuild.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, interloper said:

It's not official yet. Roch has since changed his tune a bit to say that the titles could change, but that two hires would be made (President + GM *OR* GM + Assistant). In this case, that means Elias and Mejdal, we assume.

It sounds as if that is the deal.  Good catch. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, weams said:

It sounds as if that is the deal.  Good catch. 

It does sound like a good catch, unless you are a doom and gloomer.

For me, I dont care too much about titles, but what duties and responsibilities they have, and how much authority they have.  That is the key to all of this. IMO

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, interloper said:

I don't know that we can say that. Just by virtue of having a new GM and new field manager, things will change. It will be interesting, though, to see just how much clout Brady has with the Angelos sons. Maybe Elias likes Brady and will want to keep him on and adjust his role. We don't know yet. 

Well said. I don't know when Brady underwent this heel turn and devolved into a nigh sinister individual within the organization, but I believe that there's certainly a place for him here, and hopefully this person (or whoever is ultimately named) will help to find it for him.

As for said pending hire, I confess to not knowing much about him, so I'll have to do my Googles. But judging from the reactions I'm seeing here, sounds like I should be pretty excited about this guy.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Curse of the Bamdino said:

Well said. I don't know when Brady underwent this heel turn and devolved into a nigh sinister individual within the organization, but I believe that there's certainly a place for him here, and hopefully this person (or whoever is ultimately named) will help to find it for him.

As for said pending hire, I confess to not knowing much about him, so I'll have to do my Googles. But judging from the reactions I'm seeing here, sounds like I should be pretty excited about this guy.

I dont believe Brady is as evil and sinister as some believe. Some like to throw hate around here, and hide behind the keyboard.

  • Upvote 1
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


Orioles Information


Orioles News and Information

Daily Organizational Boxscores

News

Tony's Takes

Orioles Roster Resource

Orioles Prospect Information

2018 End of Season Top 30 Prospects List

Prospect Scouting Reports

Statistics

2019 Orioles Stats

2019 Orioles Minor League Stats

Baseball Savant Stats







×
×
  • Create New...