wildbillhiccup

LCD TV Recommendations

I'm looking to upgrade my TV to newer tech in the 55" range (probably can't do any bigger). Any first hand recommendations? The two below stood out a bit, but I would l love to find something less expensive. Thanks in advance for the insight. 

LG OLEDC8P

https://www.cnet.com/reviews/lg-oled55c8pua-review/

TCL 6 series (2018 Roku TV) 

https://www.cnet.com/reviews/tcl-65r617-2018-roku-tv-review/

It's been awhile since I looked into them, but I've always loved Samsung's models.  I currently own a 65" Mitsubishi and that thing is still going strong.  If you're looking in that price range, I would suggest looking for a model w/ a curved screen.  I love those things, but freely admit, they're an improvement over flat screens ... but not by that much.

If you didn't want to fight the crowd on Black Friday, I would suggest waiting until the Superbowl.  It's one of the best times of the year to buy a TV.  

7 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

Don't get the curved screen if you are going to wall mount.  Black Friday door Busters are made specifically for Black Friday.

I've heard the same. Everything I read says it's more of a novelty. Also, I do plan on wall mounting.  know it's not the preferred placement, but I mounted my current tv above my fireplace because my family room is on the small side and I didn't want to waste a wall space with an entertainment unit. Plan to do the same with the new one. 

...and  a 65" screen is tempting, but I think it would overwhelm the room too much. 55" is probably my sweet spot. 

• Upvote 1

17 hours ago, wildbillhiccup said:

I've heard the same. Everything I read says it's more of a novelty. Also, I do plan on wall mounting.  know it's not the preferred placement, but I mounted my current tv above my fireplace because my family room is on the small side and I didn't want to waste a wall space with an entertainment unit. Plan to do the same with the new one. 

...and  a 65" screen is tempting, but I think it would overwhelm the room too much. 55" is probably my sweet spot. 

By all means, get a 4K screen. I got a LG from Samsclub 2 years ago, 60 inch, and dont regret it one minute.

Even old 1950s black and white, pop on the 4k. I have the 4K in my living room and when I walk into my family room and the 1080, you can really tell the difference in quality.