Sign in to follow this  
scOtt

George HW Bush died

Despite my political leanings, I have/had a lot of respect for HW. In WWII he was flying a torpedo bomber in the Pacific. Was shot down by the Japanese. Bailed out BEFORE ejector seats. Think about it... struggled to get his canopy opened, climbed out, jumped, missed the tail of the plane... parachuted down. He made it to a deserted island. Hid out for days til a submarine spotted him and got him home.

Later he was the Director of the CIA. It doesn't get much more badass than all that.

RIP

• Upvote 1

The last President who nobody really despised.    He was a true gentleman but tough when he needed to be.    His prosecution of the Gulf War, both building the international coalition behind it and then executing the military operation, was nothing short of brilliant.   He was a little out of touch with the common man, but overall history will treat him kindly, I think. 

Rest In Peace, Mr. President.  

• Upvote 2

DtVjxpgWkAEldPS.jpg

Tom Boswell did a nice article in 1989 reviewing his baseball career and persona at the time.

"He's the real thing -- a legit ballplayer -- although he habitually soft-pedals it. In the first college World Series ever played, in 1947, Bush's Yale team played the illustrious University of California, led by Jackie Jensen, in the national championship game. The next year, Yale reached the national finals again, this time against Southern California. Back in that post-war golden age of baseball talent, no college played a higher level of ball than Yale, which thumped schools like North Carolina and Clemson and, during one 11-game Bush-era winning streak, outscored its foes by 76-20. The Elis coach, Ethan Allen, was a career .300 hitter in the majors. Three of Bush's teammates reached the big leagues and others played in the minors. Yale then was Stanford or Miami now. How good was Bush? Good enough that he never missed a game at first base in three years and, his senior year, was team captain. Good enough that, his last year, he fielded .990 on 190 chances and batted .264 with six doubles, two triples, a home run and a 28 runs produced in 25 games. And, finally, good enough that Yale teammate Dick Tettelbach (Yankees and Senators) has seriously compared him to Keith Hernandez as a defensive first baseman."

"... he still claims to have a "Walter Mitty" joy in throwing out first balls. In fact, it will take more than a faraway coup d'etat to keep him from doing the honors in Baltimore on Monday. He even plans to bring Egyptian President Hosni Mubarak with him.Pitching, and P.R., Tips From Ryan Nolan Ryan, one of Bush's longtime baseball friends, has filled the President's ear with First Ball advice. "Nolan says throw it high because amateurs get out there, no matter how good they are, and throw it into the dirt . . . You get more of an 'ooooh' {from the crowd} if you heave it over the {catcher's} head instead of going with the fast-breaking deuce into the dirt." History notes, and Bush knows, that Ronald Reagan's initial First Ball cleared Rick Dempsey's leap by two feet and was met with majestic "ooooohs." Bush even plots his First Ball strategy for getting to the mound. "I will stride to the mound," he said, "then stop a couple of steps short of the rubber and encourage the catcher ahead of time to {cheat out} in front of the plate."

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, bobmc said:

DtVjxpgWkAEldPS.jpg

Tom Boswell did a nice article in 1989 reviewing his baseball career and persona at the time.

"He's the real thing -- a legit ballplayer -- although he habitually soft-pedals it. In the first college World Series ever played, in 1947, Bush's Yale team played the illustrious University of California, led by Jackie Jensen, in the national championship game. The next year, Yale reached the national finals again, this time against Southern California. Back in that post-war golden age of baseball talent, no college played a higher level of ball than Yale, which thumped schools like North Carolina and Clemson and, during one 11-game Bush-era winning streak, outscored its foes by 76-20. The Elis coach, Ethan Allen, was a career .300 hitter in the majors. Three of Bush's teammates reached the big leagues and others played in the minors. Yale then was Stanford or Miami now. How good was Bush? Good enough that he never missed a game at first base in three years and, his senior year, was team captain. Good enough that, his last year, he fielded .990 on 190 chances and batted .264 with six doubles, two triples, a home run and a 28 runs produced in 25 games. And, finally, good enough that Yale teammate Dick Tettelbach (Yankees and Senators) has seriously compared him to Keith Hernandez as a defensive first baseman."

"... he still claims to have a "Walter Mitty" joy in throwing out first balls. In fact, it will take more than a faraway coup d'etat to keep him from doing the honors in Baltimore on Monday. He even plans to bring Egyptian President Hosni Mubarak with him.Pitching, and P.R., Tips From Ryan Nolan Ryan, one of Bush's longtime baseball friends, has filled the President's ear with First Ball advice. "Nolan says throw it high because amateurs get out there, no matter how good they are, and throw it into the dirt . . . You get more of an 'ooooh' {from the crowd} if you heave it over the {catcher's} head instead of going with the fast-breaking deuce into the dirt." History notes, and Bush knows, that Ronald Reagan's initial First Ball cleared Rick Dempsey's leap by two feet and was met with majestic "ooooohs." Bush even plots his First Ball strategy for getting to the mound. "I will stride to the mound," he said, "then stop a couple of steps short of the rubber and encourage the catcher ahead of time to {cheat out} in front of the plate."

Bush batted right and threw left, an extremely rare combination.   Rickey Henderson is the only major leaguer I know offhand.

1 minute ago, SteveA said:

Bush batted right and threw left, an extremely rare combination.   Rickey Henderson is the only major leaguer I know offhand.

Boswell mentioned Cleon Jones also as being decent at it but few were - Joey Rickard?

1 minute ago, bobmc said:

Boswell mentioned Cleon Jones also as being decent at it but few were - Joey Rickard?

oh yeah how could I forget Joey!

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, Frobby said:

The last President who nobody really despised.    He was a true gentleman but tough when he needed to be.    His prosecution of the Gulf War, both building the international coalition behind it and then executing the military operation, was nothing short of brilliant.   He was a little out of touch with the common man, but overall history will treat him kindly, I think. 

Rest In Peace, Mr. President.  

LOL perhaps but would you consider Tom Boswell a "common man"?

"President Bush’s gift for personal connection, naturalness and self-deprecating warmth was extraordinary, as was wife Barbara’s, as many have noted. I’m certain I was never in his top-million acquaintances, yet during one phone call he said, “Have you and Wendy seen any good movies lately?”

My thought, “Sir, isn’t there something else you should be doing?” Once the Gulf War began, he had a lot to do. And there was no more time for sportswriters.

Many serious people will have memories about this excellent yet somehow still modest man who, at every stage of his life, prepared himself for his nation’s highest office more thoroughly than perhaps any president before or since."

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/george-hw-bush-had-a-love-of-sports-and-an-affinity-for-at-least-one-sportswriter/2018/12/01/328a2e66-f5b0-11e8-80d0-f7e1948d55f4_story.html?utm_term=.8a46d0486a07

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, SteveA said:

Bush batted right and threw left, an extremely rare combination. Rickey Henderson is the only major leaguer I know offhand.

4 hours ago, bobmc said:

Boswell mentioned Cleon Jones also as being decent at it, but few were - Joey Rickard?

o

Jones' reason for his unusual combination of batting right-handed and fielding left-handed is extremely interesting. 

The reason being was that when he was a kid playing wiffle ball with his friends in their neighborhood, the entire right side of the field was deemed to be foul territory because they did not have enough defenders to cover the entire field ........ so even though he was a natural lefty, Jones adapted to the neighborhood rules for their wiffle ball games by batting right-handed, presuming that he would just have hit a ton of foul balls had he batted from his natural left-handed stance.

I read about this when I was a teeneager in the early 80's in a book called The Summer Game, by Roger Angell.

Image result for The Summer Game

o

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, bobmc said:

LOL perhaps but would you consider Tom Boswell a "common man"?

"President Bush’s gift for personal connection, naturalness and self-deprecating warmth was extraordinary, as was wife Barbara’s, as many have noted. I’m certain I was never in his top-million acquaintances, yet during one phone call he said, “Have you and Wendy seen any good movies lately?”

My thought, “Sir, isn’t there something else you should be doing?” Once the Gulf War began, he had a lot to do. And there was no more time for sportswriters.

Many serious people will have memories about this excellent yet somehow still modest man who, at every stage of his life, prepared himself for his nation’s highest office more thoroughly than perhaps any president before or since."

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/george-hw-bush-had-a-love-of-sports-and-an-affinity-for-at-least-one-sportswriter/2018/12/01/328a2e66-f5b0-11e8-80d0-f7e1948d55f4_story.html?utm_term=.8a46d0486a07

I didn’t mean at all that Bush was a snob.    He famously treated others with respect no matter from what walk of life.   I was mostly thinking of this famous incident from his presidency:  https://www.nytimes.com/1992/02/05/us/bush-encounters-the-supermarket-amazed.html

• Upvote 2

Look up Jim Vance and George H.W. Bush on YouTube.  The one about the fishing trip on the Potomac.  It's a great clip of the late local news anchor and the President.

a remarkable man for sure.

Wow, to have been married to the same woman for 73 years. What an amazing feat that was, and from the outside looking in, they were a legit couple, and not just two people sharing the same last name and house.

Also he did a great job shepherding the world into the post-Soviet era (or at least didn't take any aggressive actions that may have provoked more support for a hard-line anti-reform coup in the Soviet Union).  I think it's very strange how everyone seems to forget what a remarkable event the peaceful dissolution of the Soviet Union was. 

Easily could have resulted in a civil war or hard-line military coup in a country bristling with nuclear weapons and ICBMs.   

On ‎12‎/‎1‎/‎2018 at 3:53 PM, SteveA said:

Dave McNally