Sign in to follow this  
Dark Helmet

Matt Wieters

36 minutes ago, wildbillhiccup said:

I actually think O'Day will be pretty effective for the Braves if he's healthy. He'll be facing a whole new group of hitters in the NL who will have to learn to time his quirky delivery / arm angle. 

He is worth nowhere near what he is owed. 

49 minutes ago, wildbillhiccup said:

I actually think O'Day will be pretty effective for the Braves if he's healthy. He'll be facing a whole new group of hitters in the NL who will have to learn to time his quirky delivery / arm angle. 

If they didn't want him at all they would have cut him.

I think he is expected to break camp with them.

15 minutes ago, weams said:

He is worth nowhere near what he is owed. 

If he pitched like he did in 2012-15, he would be.   He averaged 2.4 rWAR per year in that stretch.    But he’s averaged 0.7 rWAR per year over 2016-18.     He’s been less effective and oft-injured.    But perhaps his luck will change this year.    

6 minutes ago, Frobby said:

If he pitched like he did in 2012-15, he would be.   He averaged 2.4 rWAR per year in that stretch.    But he’s averaged 0.7 rWAR per year over 2016-18.     He’s been less effective and oft-injured.    But perhaps his luck will change this year.    

I used to deny the effects of aging as well. 

On 12/4/2018 at 9:47 AM, 99ct said:

Lol I actually kinda hope we sign Wieters, Kakes, Jones and Schoop to cheap deals. We all agree that we're probably gonna suck for a while, why not have a reunion tour? If the price is right, I think it would be a blast. OF might be a bit crowded though, but as long as its a 1-year deal...can't hurt to help Elias get another good draft pick! 

I think you're onto something!

23 hours ago, Frobby said:

You have to give him a slight bump in value for changing leagues. He may not achieve a 2.4 rWAR this year, but I think he'll be a valuable reliever for Atlanta if he's healthy. 

1 minute ago, wildbillhiccup said:

You have to give him a slight bump in value for changing leagues. He may not achieve a 2.4 rWAR this year, but I think he'll be a valuable reliever for Atlanta if he's healthy. 

The NL beat the AL this year in interleague play for the first time in 14 years.    So, I don’t think there’s a big difference between pitching in the NL vs. the AL at the moment.   

3 minutes ago, Frobby said:

The NL beat the AL this year in interleague play for the first time in 14 years.    So, I don’t think there’s a big difference between pitching in the NL vs. the AL at the moment.   

Not sure I agree. O'Day (in his prime) was a good pitcher, but I think a lot of that had to do with his odd arm angle / delivery. I think if hitters are seeing him for the first it's going to talk at least a few ABs for them to get used to it and time him. 

46 minutes ago, wildbillhiccup said:

Not sure I agree. O'Day (in his prime) was a good pitcher, but I think a lot of that had to do with his odd arm angle / delivery. I think if hitters are seeing him for the first it's going to talk at least a few ABs for them to get used to it and time him. 

OK, that’s a different point than the one I thought you were making.    I thought you were talking about the quality of the competition, rather than facing batters who haven’t seen much of him.   For what it’s worth, O’Day has a career ERA of 2.56, but 2.07 in intraleague play.   So, maybe you’re right.    I’m a big O’Day fan and hope he’ll be healthy and do well for the Braves.