Sign in to follow this  
wildbillhiccup

Machado Trade Revisited. What If...

What is the purpose of this thread, to beat up on the front office, yet again?

All the players (no pun intended) are gone from the warehouse.

A new regime is in place. Its a new beginning, lets look to the future.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, wildbillhiccup said:

Of course it is, but the point I was trying to make in my original post was that this is the type of package the Orioles could have gotten if they traded Machado in the off season (when they should have). 

You get back a comp pick as well this way. 

3 minutes ago, Redskins Rick said:

DD might have also had his hands tied at the time.

Very true and I wasn't really trying to single out one person. Just pointing out (in general) what a I missed opportunity it really was. 

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, backwardsk said:

Are there examples of a player being traded 1 year out from FA and extending with that team?  What were some of the bigger deals?

Alex Smith, but that's a different sport. 

Very true and I wasn't really trying to single out one person. Just pointing out (in general) what a I missed opportunity it really was. 

You might be right, but that's total speculation. I don't recall being blown away by any rumored offers last offseason. Based on what was public at this time last year, I personally wanted the O's to wait until last trade deadline when hopefully teams were more desperate. If we really wanted a great return, we should have traded Manny at least 1.5 years ago. That just wasn't the team's mindset.

Either way, it's crying over spilled milk at this point. As Rick said, what good does it do to beat up the old regime with what appears to be an old way of doing things?

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, LookinUp said:

You might be right, but that's total speculation. I don't recall being blown away by any rumored offers last offseason. Based on what was public at this time last year, I personally wanted the O's to wait until last trade deadline when hopefully teams were more desperate. If we really wanted a great return, we should have traded Manny at least 1.5 years ago. That just wasn't the team's mindset.

Either way, it's crying over spilled milk at this point. As Rick said, what good does it do to beat up the old regime with what appears to be an old way of doing things?

They gone. Complaining about Peter is off limits. It's done. Brave New World. 

huxley brave new world

• Like 1

2 hours ago, wildbillhiccup said:

Again, he should have been traded in the off season. This isn't an "all things considered" evaluation. My main point is that if they didn't passively aggressively shop him during the Winter Meetings and make a trade demand so ridiculous (we want two MLB read SPs) that no one could meet they could have gotten a better package. Also, asking for two MLB ready SPs, when they ended up signing Cashner and Cobb anyway, showed a real lack of long term vision by the club. Yes they got a decent return for trading Machado when they did, but that doesn't overlook the fact that the whole situation was completely mismanaged by someone.

We don’t really know what offers were made for Manny last winter.   He was coming off a down year, whereas he was having a career season offensively when he was traded.    I was strongly in favor of shopping him last winter but in the absence of knowing what offers were rejected it’s impossible to say if they would have done better than they did at the deadline.    Just because our demands were high doesn’t mean offers weren’t made.   

Just now, Frobby said:

We don’t really know what offers were made for Manny last winter.   He was coming off a down year, whereas he was having a career season offensively when he was traded.    I was strongly in favor of shopping him last winter but in the absence of knowing what offers were rejected it’s impossible to say if they would have done better than they did at the deadline.    Just because our demands were high doesn’t mean offers weren’t made.   

...or teams were so turned off by the Orioles' ridiculously specific demands that they didn't make an offer at all. I mean honestly, can you name a single team in baseball that can afford to trade two MLB SPs without decimating it's rotation? You're absolutely right that it's all speculation, but in looking back it's also amazing how poorly the situation was handled. All hindsight at this point, but part of me will probably wonder "what if" especially if the Dodgers' prospects don't pan out. 

I am fine with what we got for Machado and Schoop.  Wish we got more for Gausman and Britton but at this point nothing we can do about it. Lets just hope some of the players we received in the trades help us going forward. 

2 hours ago, Redskins Rick said:

What is the purpose of this thread, to beat up on the front office, yet again?

All the players (no pun intended) are gone from the warehouse.

A new regime is in place. Its a new beginning, lets look to the future.

Not all of them ;)

It's kind of a meh return for Goldschmidt imo. I don't think it's ant better than what they got for Manny. Teams aren't giving up the prospects l ije they used to. I was pretty happy with the rwturn for Manny. I think Diaz is going to be a good player. I think Kremer will be the star of the deal when it's said and done. I think Pop could be a serviceable Closer and possibly a dominant setup man. Mannys deal has alot of potential. 

Your going to get a little more for service time remaining, but anymore it' seems you get what your going to get regardless.

Edited by Dark Helmet

Not all of them ;)

I know, lets beat up Brady even more.

Elias is far from stupid. He must think Brady is worth keeping around, for whatever reason.

I suspect Brady will have a different role here under Elias, but we shall see.

16 minutes ago, Redskins Rick said:

I know, lets beat up Brady even more.

Elias is far from stupid. He must think Brady is worth keeping around, for whatever reason.

I suspect Brady will have a different role here under Elias, but we shall see.

Or he was told Brady was untouchable.

Either or.