Sign in to follow this  
Tony-OH

Terps vs Purdue at Purdue

Close game but Purdue wih the momentum right now. Terps have gone cold and I'm always concerned when it a one two point game because that comes down to coaching a lot of times and that's not the Terps' strength. 

Jalen Smith has be MIA and not getting much playing time in 2nd half. Wonder if he's under the weather?

On the road and only listening.    Johnny announcing as if the refs swallowed their whistles on a few MD possessions recently.   True?

it did sound like they were in control the first part of the second half, but that is all I heard.    

As soon as I saw Cowan tearing down court with a chance to tie the game I knew he would throw it away. Kid never seen a turnover he didn't want to commit. A good coach would tell him he has to slow down in these situations but not Turgeon. Probably told hi to just go and "be you". Turgeon's best play is letting his PG hold onto the ball until 8 seconds left on shot clock, only to find out the player can't get open and then throw up a junk shot or turnover.

• Upvote 1

1:12 left, down by three and Turgeon calls a timeout after the Terps look utterly lost on their previous three of four possessions. who wants to bet they come out with another bad possession?

Just now, Tony-OH said:

1:12 left, down by three and Turgeon calls a timeout after the Terps look utterly lost on their previous three of four possessions. who wants to bet they come out with another bad possession?

A shot clock violation possession. Turgeon is awful. He should be a girls 8-year old rec league coach.

• Haha 1

Of course there was no good inbound play from Turgeon.

Not surprised that a Turgeon team would come up short in a road conference game when his team was ranked against an unranked team. Well, it was nice to have a top 25 team for a couple of weeks in December, but now that they are playing real teams, time for reality to settle in.

Talented team. If they had good coaching and some experience this team would have a chance to be really good. Unfortunately, Fernando will leave after the year and maybe Jalen Smith and we'll be back to square one next year.

That's Turgeon-led Maryland basketball. 

• Upvote 1

I've been fairly noncritical of Turgeon, but this was the first game where it was apparent the other team had better coaching.  Our offensive possesions in the second half were putrid.  Those last 5 minutes were awful.  It was basically Cowan dribbling around the arc while guys stood around.  If there was no post entry pass then the ball never moved beyond the arc.  There wasn't even any separation to get shots off.  Credit due to the Purdue defense, which was locked in.

I love Cowan but I think he holds on to the ball too much.  He needs to drive as much as possible and utilize his speed, which is his greatest asset, then find open guys.  He also needs to play smarter.  Some of those passes were really bad.

• Upvote 1

Cowan is just too out of control too much of the time.

I've never seen a coach squander as much talent as consistently as Turgeon. He just has no clue how to maximize talent, how to optimize player rotations .. there's zero game flow. So many awful possessions. Any legit coach will out coach Turgeon in their sleep. Other than Edwards, it was just a bunch of generic looking guys for Purdue (Wheeler had a good game but he isn't much).

• Upvote 2

Everyone has said basically the same thing we have been saying for years now. Same thing game after game. Why does Mark T have so many guards who play out of control or should I say DUMB?  A former guard himself. Let MT recruit and bring Gary back. In a close game MD is usually outcoached.  Close but..............................!  Gary Williams must be going insane watching Turgeon coach. I know we are 7-2.  Did you read Gary's comments recently about coaches patting guys on the back when they come off the floor after they have screwed up and made turnovers? Gary said something like are you kidding me? I deliberately didn't watch the final three minutes hoping I would change their luck.  I could tell what was about to happen. Be honest now. Didn't most of us on here think we would lose?  How many close games do the Terps lose every year? I hope I am wrong and we won't have to hear MT's postgame shows saying he needs to do a better job coaching or they have to have less turnovers. 17 again?  Cowan is an unusual guard yet similar to other recent MD guards. Sometimes he plays in control and sometimes he plays like a guy who just drank 3 bottles of coke. Why?

• Upvote 1