Frobby

What was the highest level of baseball that you played?

What is the highest level of baseball at which you played?  

134 members have voted

1. 1. What is the highest level of baseball at which you played?

• Professional
    • D-1 college
    • D-2/3 college or juco
    • High school team
    • Non-academic uniform team while in high school
    • Uniform team before high school
    • T-shirt League
    • Never played organized baseball

I thought it would be interesting to see how many posters played organized baseball and at what level.    I know we have at least some posters who played professionally or in college.   

• Upvote 2

Uniform team before High School. Played all the way up from Tee Ball. I could throw and catch, just couldn't hit.

Stopped playing as soon as I got to High School and just played football. 1 All County selection later, I don't regret it much.

My last organized baseball was a T-shirt league in the 7th grade.   I think I hit about .125.    My highlight was in the first game of the year, when our first 8 batters had been retired and I was hit by a pitch in an 0-2 count.    That started a big rally and we won that game.    It was all downhill from there. 

I’m a pretty good hitter in softball, and still play, but never had the reflexes to hit the hard stuff.   

One season of JuCo before real life needed actual attention and my shoulder started to just be done. I really feel if I had better coaching and a great push in the right direction from a training and practice stand point I could have been D1 talent. I just didn't have the self motivational drive or knowledge to do what it took, and I had NOTHING around me for guidance or the push. I just relied on natural talents which were pretty decent for my age IMO. 

21 minutes ago, Legend_Of_Joey said:

Uniform team before High School. Played all the way up from Tee Ball. I could throw and catch, just couldn't hit.

Stopped playing as soon as I got to High School and just played football. 1 All County selection later, I don't regret it much.

Im so old, we didnt even have tee-ball.

Started out coach pitch and then kid pitch.

I played what was called, at that time, in that location, Senior Babe Ruth (16-18) after my freshman year of college. Made the all-star team that summer after being passed over at sixteen and seventeen (no, I'm not bitter) but said "screw 'em," bought a Honda 750K and went off on a 3700 mile solo road trip out west. One of my better decisions.

My other notable experience was playing in a junior babe ruth all star tournament where I had the dubious pleasure of facing a pitcher named D. Mattingly. That team was operating at a whoooole 'nother level. We had not business being on the same field as that kid. And, we weren't bad.

• Upvote 1

53 minutes ago, bobmc said:

204513_1874222705889_3265048_o.jpg?_nc_c

Second from right, top row.  I played for a Div 3 college team at Harpur College in Binghamton, NY (1961 - 65).  Now it's D 1, called Binghamton U and is in the America East (with UMBC).  I played SS the last 3 years.  

Honestly, you’re very recognizable in that picture.    You haven’t changed a bit, so long as you have a cap on!

PS -  looks like the pitching was a bit thin on that team...

I played D1.  Played in La Liga de Honor in Spain for a few years after college.   Technically I was paid so it was professional, but the talent level was pretty poor.  Hilarious stories, though....got a yellow card once after striking out on two pitches.  

• Upvote 2

Was Rod Serling on the team?  I was born not too far from there. Ithaca,NY.  Binghamton the home of merry go rounds.  Serling based the Walking Distance Twilight Zone episode on his home town of Binghamton.  His most personal episode.

I pitched in high school but was a wild lefty who could throw hard but not much control.

• Upvote 2