Sign in to follow this  
Rene88

Hyde: New O’s Manager

1 minute ago, Diehard_O's_Fan said:

I really like this hire. Does he have any managing experience?

2005-2009 with the Marlins organization.

Managed the Marlins for one day. June 19th 2011.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Diehard_O's_Fan said:

I really like this hire. Does he have any managing experience?

He did manage in the minors in the Marlins' organization at one point.

Name: Brandon Hyde

Current position: Chicago Cubs bench coach

Playing experience: An undrafted free agent, he played four seasons in the minors with the Chicago White Sox organization as a catcher and first baseman. Was a career .256 hitter with a .375 on-base percentage in his time in affiliated ball. Reached as high as Triple-A Charlotte for nine games in 2000. He also played in 17 games with the Chico Heat of the independent Western League in 2001 before ending his playing career. He played collegiately at Cal State Long Beach.

Coaching/managing experience: A longtime minor league manager, Hyde also has managed in the majors: One game on June 19, 2011, when he was temporarily promoted from bench coach after Edwin Rodriguez resigned. Hyde managed that lone contest, a 2-1 loss to the Tampa Bay Rays, before Jack McKeon took over for the remainder of the season. His minor league managerial career is much lengthier and more impressive: He managed for five years in the Marlins’ organization, leading the Double-A Jacksonville Suns to a title in 2009. He has spent the past five seasons with the Cubs, serving as bench coach (to Rick Renteria and Joe Maddon) and first base coach. He has worked as the Cubs’ field coordinator and development director.

Interesting nugget: The last time Hyde managed a club for a full season was in 2009 when the Jacksonville Suns won the Southern League playoffs. Hyde managed a 19-year-old outfielder who led his club in homers with 16 despite playing in only 79 games. That teen-ager’s name was Giancarlo Stanton.

Skinny: Hyde’s been a pretty hot managerial candidate recently, and was considered by the Twins, Rangers and Angels, among others, for their vacant spots. He has won a World Series with the Cubs, has been a bench coach in two different spots and is still in his mid-40s. He’s worked underneath Maddon and McKeon, two of baseball’s renowned managerial communicators, and seems to be a combination of new school preparation and old school management. So, he knows an MLB dugout, but hasn’t run one (except for a day).

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Diehard_O's_Fan said:

The Orioles are going to need a Joe Maddon type coach in order to handle the losing and keep things loose in the clubhouse.

Yup...Maddon's a good guy to have as an example.   I think I like this move.

3 minutes ago, TonySoprano said:

Name: Brandon Hyde

Current position: Chicago Cubs bench coach

Playing experience: An undrafted free agent, he played four seasons in the minors with the Chicago White Sox organization as a catcher and first baseman. Was a career .256 hitter with a .375 on-base percentage in his time in affiliated ball.

Solid .OBP. 

7 minutes ago, ISU94 said:

I don't know much about him, but I like the idea of getting someone who worked with/under Maddon.

You can have Dave Martinez...sigh...