Bahama O's Fan

Anyone Following Manny? (Signs with San Diego)

18 hours ago, scOtt said:

Never had shwarma but I know I'd love it. NY does have the best pizza...

False. As GoldGlove21 indicated above, New York has "the best of every kind of food." Except pizza. New Haven has the best pizza, and it's not close.

• Like 1

On 12/29/2018 at 12:28 PM, ExileAngelos said:

We are so far from contending that I don't even care if he goes to MFY's.  Won't sting nearly as much when Mussina signed.  I still haven't gotten over that one.  

I have to agree with this one a bit. Mu$$ina leaving was a kick to the gut because we were still good and the Yankees were actually a rival of ours, not just the team we see at the top of the standings while we wallow at the bottom.

I lost a lot of respect for Manny after his antics in the playoffs. Stepping On Steve Pearce's foot on first base , after Pearce was one of the few players to openly back Machado when the press was after him for his other ridiculous antics was the final straw for me. With all the money he had on the line, I honestly have to question his mental makeup, something I never did in the past when it was easy to blame his earlier antics as an Oriole on youth.

Manny is a great talent and a generational player that can help a team win whether he plays SS or 3B, but their is baggage that is going to come with him. A team will have to not only assess what Machado has done, but what he's going to do once he gets paid a lot of money. If Manny can't control himself with hundreds of millions of dollars on the line during the playoffs and World Series when tens of millions of people are watching, how will he be able to control himself during a long season after he's set for life financially no matter what he does?

I've been reading comments by some Yankees fans and not all want him due to his antics. The Yankees know the media spotlight will be all over Machado and they have to question how he will handle that if he starts of slow of struggles? Now baseball executives over the years have been quite willing to look the other way for extreme talents like Machado, but I'm not sure a guy has hit the market with as much talent and as much questions over his mental makeup as Machado.

I'm more interested in seeing what kind of money and years he gets then the team he ends up with. I would prefer him to not sign with the Yankees because I honestly don't want to face him 19 times a year within the Division. But if he does end up with the Yankees, they will be adding an immensely talented player who will dance to the beat of his own drum, and will have little recourse if Manny's fragile psyche takes a turn for the much worse once he's paid. 

• Upvote 2

18 hours ago, scOtt said:

You gotta get up to New Haven for the best pizza! NY, as good as it is, pales in comparison!

10 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

I have to agree with this one a bit. Mu$$ina leaving was a kick to the gut because we were still good and the Yankees were actually a rival of ours, not just the team we see at the top of the standings while we wallow at the bottom.

We weren’t still good when Mussina left.   We won 79, 78 and 74 games his final three years and finished 35, 20 and 13 games behind the Yankees those three years as they won three consecutive World Series.   At the trade deadline before Mussina left, we traded away Clark, Johnson, Surhoff, Bordick and Timlin.    Cal and Brady were on life support.   Belle was under contract for two more seasons but unable to play.   We were headed for a rebuild, just like now, but with Syd Thrift running the show.   

I doubt Mussina would have jumped ship if the team had been competitive, but we’ll never know, because they weren’t.   

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Babkins said:

False. As GoldGlove21 indicated above, New York has "the best of every kind of food." Except pizza. New Haven has the best pizza, and it's not close.

Right which is why all the French chefs come to NY to learn and not the other way around.  🙄

Yes NY has a lot of really great restaurants but it isn't the be all end all of the food world.

19 hours ago, scOtt said:

There are some good pizza spots in Brooklyn and Queens and John's in the Village is good, but New Haven has far and away the best, Sally's!!!

Image result for sally's pizza new haven connecticut

Edited by El Gordo
  • Upvote 1
  • Like 1

It wont be the Mets so I am hoping its the Yankees so I can at least see him play.  Loathe the Phillies and their fans so really anyone but Philly or Nats would be an alright place.  I will watch him a few times a year wherever he ends up. 

I think it speaks volumes that the team that traded for him at mid-season is not pursuing him and is pursuing Harper.  I believe they saw him up close and said no thank you.

Great player, but I’m not sorry he is gone.  I really disliked his body language and demeanor when he was here.

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, vatech1994 said:

I think it speaks volumes that the team that traded for him at mid-season is not pursuing him and is pursuing Harper.  I believe they saw him up close and said no thank you.

Great player, but I’m not sorry he is gone.  I really disliked his body language and demeanor when he was here.

Manny had his bad side, but I’ll choose to remember the way he always rooted on his teammates, his handshake antics with Schoop, and how he would try to hide a grin after making a great defensive play but could never quite do it.    I miss him, and hope we don’t have to wait another 15-20 years for another player that good to come our way.   

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

Manny had his bad side, but I’ll choose to remember the way he always rooted on his teammates, his handshake antics with Schoop, and how he would try to hide a grin after making a great defensive play but could never quite do it.    I miss him, and hope we don’t have to wait another 15-20 years for another player that good to come our way.   

:) Hiding that grin was fun to watch. 

6 hours ago, vatech1994 said:

Frobby has a point, but I'll weigh in with Tony and vatech on this. Have to like the new direction Hyde expresses: no baggage allowed.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, vatech1994 said:

Come on. Seaver is coming back and they have an expensive and stacked lineup. There’s room in the OF and they just made more. That’s why Harper is a better target for LA. 

I swear you’d think he wasn’t the only nationally relevant player we’ve had in the past decade. 

3 hours ago, vatech1994 said:

He could flip off the fanbase and I'd be OK with it if he put up eight win seasons.

Not like he was drunk driving, beating up in-laws or committing hate crimes.

He's a Chad, I wouldn't want to hang out with him but being a Chad isn't a crime.

3 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

He could flip off the fanbase and I'd be OK with it if he put up eight win seasons.

Not like he was drunk driving, beating up in-laws or committing hate crimes.

He's a Chad, I wouldn't want to hang out with him but being a Chad isn't a crime.

Remember, it's not just the body language and demeanor, it's also the mental mistakes on defense and especially baserunning. As if "it's all good, bro." Well, it's not all good, if you're playing to win it all.