Bahama O's Fan

Anyone Following Manny? (Signs with San Diego)

Just now, Can_of_corn said:

I think Manny wants the Yankees more than the Yankees want Manny.

The Yankees are in a better position to dictate their terms knowing his preference and their need. He needs to let go of the fantasy. I don’t think a 7-8 deal totaling needs to be accepted. 

Shorter deal, higher AAV and the ability to hit the market again (or not) based on performance.

19 minutes ago, SteveA said:

He should only do that if he thinks the market will be better next year.

Will it?  The free agent market is trending down the past few years.

If he signs a 1 year deal, Harper will probably get a long deal and be gone next year.

I don't know if it's a market trend or just that Manny and Harper are both on the market at the same time.

11 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

He's not going to ask 10 years.

Maybe can get him for five, six on the outside.

Also, he doesn't throw bats at people.

I heard he is looking for 10/300+ on MLB network. 

5 minutes ago, weams said:

I heard he is looking for 10/300+ on MLB network. 

You can always ask.

A 29 year old isn't getting 10/300 unless his name is Trout.

• Upvote 1

33 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

He should have accepted immediately.

If it happened.

If they offered it, they won’t walk away from it.   

As irritating as it would be if the Yankees get Manny, it’s really going to be irritating to see them getting him at a relative bargain.   

• Upvote 2

38 minutes ago, Frobby said:

If they offered it, they won’t walk away from it.   

As irritating as it would be if the Yankees get Manny, it’s really going to be irritating to see them getting him at a relative bargain.   

What if that bargain was closer to the deal the Orioles gave Davis?    :leaving:

Just now, TonySoprano said:

What if that bargain was closer to the deal the Orioles gave Davis?    :leaving:

I don't hold a grudge and hope the Yankees have as much success as the O's have had with Davis.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

15 hours ago, TonySoprano said:

What if Nats lose Harper to the Giants, then sign Manny to a “cheaper” deal. Then move Turned back to the OF.

It would then only be fitting for Buck to come in and win the whole thing in 2020.  

Edited by sportsfan8703

Who signs first Harper or Machado?My guess is Harper  especially since it  appears like Machado is going to sign for significantly less than anticipated which would negatively effect Harpers market. The lesser of the two players should set the market for the other. It’s hard for me to believe the Nats offered Harper 300mill and he hasn’t signed it. If Harper does end up signing a contract at that value or close Machado should definitely exceed it. Is the Nats rumored offer still on table?  If I’m Machado I’m holding out till Harper signs, which should be this week.

5 minutes ago, TonySoprano said:

Jon Heyman is reduced to searching ManNY's instagram for clues.  Sad!

That is what happens when the player isn't a Boras client.

On 2/9/2019 at 1:46 PM, Frobby said:

It won't be irritating when he makes a boneheaded baserunning error in the playoffs, though.  Focus on the positives.

I don't understand the latest on Harper.  Before he was a free agent, the Nats reportedly offered Harper 10 years and over $300M.  Now, he's considering a short-term deal with SF?  IF ManNY really has a NY state-of-mind, will he accept a shorter-deal now as well?  It sounds to me like the agents for both really overplayed their hands and the spin whenever they sign will be fun to watch.  Also, the excuses out of D.C. to how they let this all happen for a lousy comp-pick, well... make that a double batch of popcorn.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, TonySoprano said:

I don't understand the latest on Harper.  Before he was a free agent, the Nats reportedly offered Harper 10 years and over $300M.  Now, he's considering a short-term deal with SF?  IF ManNY really has a NY state-of-mind, will he accept a shorter-deal now as well?  It sounds to me like the agents for both really overplayed their hands and the spin whenever they sign will be fun to watch.  Also, the excuses out of D.C. to how they let this all happen for a lousy comp-pick, well... make that a double batch of popcorn.

https://ftw.usatoday.com/2019/02/verlander-mlb-broken-harper-machado

• Upvote 1