Jump to content
Bahama O's Fan

Anyone Following Manny? (Signs with San Diego)

Recommended Posts

Just now, Can_of_corn said:

It is almost as if the players got together and planned it so one of them would release one of these statements every week or so.

It was Longoria's turn, now it's Verlander.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

You missed Buster Posey.

Yeah, and none of them blame Harper for turning down 10/$300M because it doesn't fit the message.   To them it isn't ManNY and Harper.  It's about inflating prices for the entire industry.  "A rising tide lifts all boats."

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, TonySoprano said:

Yeah, and none of them blame Harper for turning down 10/$300M because it doesn't fit the message.   To them it isn't ManNY and Harper.  It's about inflating prices for the entire industry.  "A rising tide lifts all boats."

Buster said the Orioles should be in win now mode.

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, NashLumber said:

This is such a bad look for the players and they're getting killed on Twitter for their comments. I don't understand why they don't just let the Player's Union speak for them and fight the battle. Isn't that the whole purpose of a union?

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, wildbillhiccup said:

This is such a bad look for the players and they're getting killed on Twitter for their comments. I don't understand why they don't just let the Player's Union speak for them and fight the battle. Isn't that the whole purpose of a union?

A Union is only as strong as its most valuable members.   I don’t know if I completely agree with these guys but I admire them for speaking up.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Frobby said:

A Union is only as strong as its most valuable members.   I don’t know if I completely agree with these guys but I admire them for speaking up.  

Eh Buster sounded like a fool in saying a 115 loss team should be in win now mode and Longoria had no credibility since he'd never been a free agent or even in arbitration.

They need to move the discussion to an area they can win, how underpaid young players are.

  • Upvote 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There is such a huge disparity between the upper echelon of spenders and the bottom feeders that it’s like there are two free agent periods that overlap one another. Of course guys like Machado and Harper will have limited appeal to clubs considering most clubs simply cannot field a winning team with a $30m/yr player sucking up such a large portion of payroll. Then you have the clubs anticipating bargain contracts when the big spenders get their fill. You’ve got players and agents doing their best to not be a bargain but yet holding out for ridiculous money. The system is broken, I agree but I don’t think it’s broken for the same reasons a guy like Verlander does. Institute a hard payroll cap and do something to create an incentive for clubs not to avoid the free agent market all together.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, oriole said:

There is such a huge disparity between the upper echelon of spenders and the bottom feeders that it’s like there are two free agent periods that overlap one another. Of course guys like Machado and Harper will have limited appeal to clubs considering most clubs simply cannot field a winning team with a $30m/yr player sucking up such a large portion of payroll. Then you have the clubs anticipating bargain contracts when the big spenders get their fill. You’ve got players and agents doing their best to not be a bargain but yet holding out for ridiculous money. The system is broken, I agree but I don’t think it’s broken for the same reasons a guy like Verlander does. Institute a hard payroll cap and do something to create an incentive for clubs not to avoid the free agent market all together.

If the younger players start costing more it will make free agents more attractive.

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

If the younger players start costing more it will make free agents more attractive.

I think that makes some sense but part of the appeal of unproven talent is the low financial risk. So if we’re talking about raising MLB minimum salaries to a million or so, then sure. But any more than that then you exacerbate the issue of payroll disparity by pushing free agents value higher plus making the unproven guys more risky. 

A payroll cap makes much more sense in my mind. I want to say a payroll floor as well but that seems like a slippery slope and probably (or definitely) not a good idea. But say a team can only spend $200 million a year on payroll and maybe anything past that deducts payroll space for the following year. That would even the playing field not only in wins and losses but in how teams value players. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, oriole said:

I think that makes some sense but part of the appeal of unproven talent is the low financial risk. So if we’re talking about raising MLB minimum salaries to a million or so, then sure. But any more than that then you exacerbate the issue of payroll disparity by pushing free agents value higher plus making the unproven guys more risky. 

A payroll cap makes much more sense in my mind. I want to say a payroll floor as well but that seems like a slippery slope and probably (or definitely) not a good idea. But say a team can only spend $200 million a year on payroll and maybe anything past that deducts payroll space for the following year. That would even the playing field not only in wins and losses but in how teams value players. 

The NFL has a cap, and the Patriots.

The NBA has a cap, and the Warriors.

I'm not sold a cap is the solution, heck they have a de facto cap going now.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

The NFL has a cap, and the Patriots.

The NBA has a cap, and the Warriors.

I'm not sold a cap is the solution, heck they have a de facto cap going now.

You got me there. I can’t argue that. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
51 minutes ago, Frobby said:

A Union is only as strong as its most valuable members.   I don’t know if I completely agree with these guys but I admire them for speaking up.  

I admired Curt Flood and Dave McNally.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

The NFL has a cap, and the Patriots.

The NBA has a cap, and the Warriors.

I'm not sold a cap is the solution, heck they have a de facto cap going now.

NBA- Only takes 6-7 players to win. 

NFL- Belicek and the joke that is the AFC East. 

MLB doesn’t want a cap because they want the Yankees and Red Sox in the WS every year. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.

Orioles Information


Orioles News and Information

Daily Organizational Boxscores

News

Tony's Takes

Orioles Prospect Information

2018 End of Season Top 30 Prospects List

Prospect Scouting Reports

Statistics

2019 Spring Training Stats

Baseball Savant Stats

Minor League Stats







×
×
  • Create New...