Bahama O's Fan

Anyone Following Manny? (Signs with San Diego)

5 minutes ago, jrobb21613 said:

Even if taking less in Salary to sign with the Yankees I imagine playing for New York would lead to more endorsements and better marketing for the Machado brand which would result in overall more money and with NY the best chance to win multible Championships.

Think how much salsa he could move!

• Haha 1

19 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

As I said earlier they need to frame their argument better.  Mention how Cesar Hernandez has been under team control since 2006.  Mention how Acuna is going to be making the ML minimum in 2020.  Act like you care about the minor leaguers and mention how they don't even make minimum wage.

That'd be a great way to frame it. But it seems like the MLBPA, NFLPA, NBAPA, and other sports unions have always favored the interests of veterans heavily. Kind of a, "It's my turn to get mine, you'll get your's later" sort of mindset.

Veterans need to look at themselves and ask why they've pushed for a CBA that ignores the financial interest of young players in favor of their own financial self interest - because it's a big reason why they are all having trouble getting the money they want once they hit free agency.... young players are just a much better value with the current rules.

7 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Think how much salsa he could move!

Salsa’s big in NYC. Well, in the 90s. 

• Haha 1

http://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/25979272/justin-verlander-baffled-rebuilding-teams-sign-machado-harper

Verlander: "100 or so free agents left unsigned. System is broken. They blame “rebuilding” but that’s BS. You’re telling me you couldn’t sign Bryce or Manny for 10 years and go from there? Seems like a good place to start a rebuild to me. 26-36 is a great performance window too."

5 minutes ago, MikeAD said:

http://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/25979272/justin-verlander-baffled-rebuilding-teams-sign-machado-harper

Verlander: "100 or so free agents left unsigned. System is broken. They blame “rebuilding” but that’s BS. You’re telling me you couldn’t sign Bryce or Manny for 10 years and go from there? Seems like a good place to start a rebuild to me. 26-36 is a great performance window too."

As a guy who was acquired to put his team over the top for a pennant drive and WS, he's got a funny understanding of team building and the strategy behind it.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

As a guy who was acquired to put his team over the top for a pennant drive and WS, he's got a funny understanding of team building and the strategy behind it.

And traded away from his old team because his contract impeded their ability to rebuild.

• Upvote 3

9 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

He also had a slight hiccup in his mechanics that Houston was able to fix, and get Verlander back to his glory days.

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

And traded away from his old team because his contract impeded their ability to rebuild.

The same team that let Schnerzer go away. :)

1 minute ago, Redskins Rick said:

He also had a slight hiccup in his mechanics that Houston was able to fix, and get Verlander back to his glory days.

He did, thats a good call.  Forgot about that, he had a couple down years.

1 minute ago, Redskins Rick said:

The same team that let Schnerzer go away. :)

And Scherzer, too.

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, NashLumber said:

And David Price. 

Wow. I've never put that all together. The Tigers had Price, Scherzer and Verlander. The 2014 team also had Rick Porcello and Anibel Sanchez. 

Dave Dombrowski (now with the Red Sox) ran the organization. Brad Ausmus was the manager.

How did they screw that up so bad? 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, LookinUp said:

Wow. I've never put that all together. The Tigers had Price, Scherzer and Verlander. The 2014 team also had Rick Porcello and Anibel Sanchez. 

Dave Dombrowski (now with the Red Sox) ran the organization. Brad Ausmus was the manager.

And the O’s beat all 3 in the ‘14 ALDS. 

The answer to your question was their horrible bullpen .

1 minute ago, LookinUp said:

Orioles, baby.  We took that team to the cleaners in the postseason that year.