Bahama O's Fan

Anyone Following Manny?

2 minutes ago, NashLumber said:

And the O’s beat all 3 in the ‘14 ALDS. 

They didn’t really beat Verlander in Game 2, they beat the Tigers’ bullpen.  Verlander didn’t pitch great but the Tigers had the lead when he left the game.  

2 minutes ago, Frobby said:

They didn’t really beat Verlander in Game 2, they beat the Tigers’ bullpen.  Verlander didn’t pitch great but the Tigers had the lead when he left the game.  

Why you gotta let facts get in the way. 

The Tigers had 3 aces and let them all get away. I wonder if they had someone like Britton instead of Joba Chamberlain, and ultimately won the world series, would they have tried to sign them all? Their fans have to be sick knowing that. 

5 minutes ago, LookinUp said:

The Tigers had 3 aces and let them all get away. I wonder if they had someone like Andrew Miller instead of Joba Chamberlain, and ultimately won the world series, would they have tried to sign them all? Their fans have to be sick knowing that. 

Changed it a bit.

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

That’s right.

How’s this: The O’s beat the Tigers in the games Verlander, Price and Scherzer started in the ALDS. You didn’t quote my last sentence in my reply to the poster regarding their bullpen. 

1 minute ago, Frobby said:

I don’t know why anyone would fault the players for being uneasy about what’s going on.    

Sure I don't blame them.

I also don't feel much in the way of sympathy.  They collectively bargained themselves into this mess and are, in my opinion, not doing a good job with their messaging.

8 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I don’t know why anyone would fault the players for being uneasy about what’s going on.    

It certainly isn't getting them any sympathy points from the average Joe so why do it?  I said it before, but they really should be having these discussions behind closed doors. No one is going to take a multi-millionaire complaining about money seriously. 

43 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Sure I don't blame them.

I also don't feel much in the way of sympathy.  They collectively bargained themselves into this mess and are, in my opinion, not doing a good job with their messaging.

“Sympathy” is definitely not the word I’d choose.    

The players need to focus on not being paid more earlier in their careers, the 0-3 years of service time and talk about that. The big pay days for veterans is a ship that has sailed far away for good. 

Nothing will change either way until the next CBA is negotiated but pointing out how younger players are not being paid their worth will put more pressure on MLB. Many fans have too much data that support why their favorite teams aren’t spending big on Free Agents. 

One more thing. When it is all said and done Manny and Harper will still get big paydays. It just will not be as big as their agents and friends in the media hyped for years.   

4 minutes ago, eddie83 said:

One more thing. When it is all said and done Manny and Harper will still get big paydays. It just will not be as big as their agents and friends in the media hyped for years.   

That’s why I wouldn’t use the word “sympathy” here.    That said, it does look they’ll be “underpaid” as compared to other players who were signed to big contracts in previous years, especially considering that they are much better bets than a lot of those players were.  

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

I guess I'd share their concerns if Harper wasn't offered 10/$300M++ and Manny wasn't offered 8/$175M - $250M or whatever.  The fact that the offers are below the players' expectations is a problem with the industry?   

• Upvote 1