14.  Love, Simon

15.  The Ballad of Buster Scruggs

16.  Deadpool 2

17.  Red Sparrow

18.  Ralph Breaks the Internet

19.  First Man

20.  Crazy Rich Asians

21.  Blockers

Both my top choice and my bottom choice were very clear.   Blindspotting didn't make much money, but it was a fantastic movie.   Blockers was watchable, but overall very mediocre lowbrow humor.  (By the way, I've got nothing against lowbrow humor, this just wasn't very well executed.)   As usual, I liked pretty much everything I saw, as I usually don't go to movies unless I'm pretty sure I'll like it.  

7 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Funny how you saw four super hero films but not the one that was the overall #1 box office movie for the year.

I'm actually a little tired of the Avengers series, plus the review in the Washington Post made it sound a little dark.   Its available on streaming now and I proposed watching it last weekend but my wife and son shot it down.    I'm sure I will see it eventually.

16 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I'm actually a little tired of the Avengers series, plus the review in the Washington Post made it sound a little dark.   Its available on streaming now and I proposed watching it last weekend but my wife and son shot it down.    I'm sure I will see it eventually.

It is dark, for Marvel at least.

It is more about Thanos than it is the Avengers and Thor gets more limelight in this one.

Halloween, a quiet place, a star is born, and Deadpool 2 were the best movies i saw all year. Saw Bohemian Rhapsody too. Rami Malek should win best actor but that movie has a ton of issues. 

I'm only going to name my top two.

1. A Star Is Born - Academy Award performances by Bradley Cooper and Lady Gaga. Neither won at the Golden Globes. Why? They are fantastic ! If the Academy doesn't give both of them an Oscar there is something wrong. Very wrong!  Go see it when it returns near Awards time.  Why they pulled it is beyond me. Is it sad? Yes? Will men cry? Yes if you have any feelings at all or can relate to anyone in your family who may have suffered from any addiction. I sat through that movie and hardly blinked the whole time it was on screen. Totally frozen to the screen. Bradey Cooper is so believable in his role it's incredible. I know several people who said they went back to see it again. When it returns I plans to go again.

2. The Mule - Clint Eastwood movie. If it weren't for his politics he would be nominated again. I went to see this movie because after reading over 15 reviews from Movie Critics and probably3o plus from movie goers I had to see what was up.  Excellent movie. There's a little bit of everything in it and Eastwood plays a man in his late eighties his current age. His acting is perfect. So believable it's like you are part of the film observing. The same can be said for A Star Is Born. When someone says it's his best role and someone says it's his worst you know something is wrong. Hollywood is totally messed up right now. Will they wise up someday?

On 1/12/2019 at 2:59 PM, section18 said:

I'm only going to name my top two.

1. A Star Is Born - Academy Award performances by Bradley Cooper and Lady Gaga. Neither won at the Golden Globes. Why? They are fantastic ! If the Academy doesn't give both of them an Oscar there is something wrong. Very wrong! 

Just curious, did you see the other movies where someone was nominated for best actor/actress?   Unless you did, it’s hard for you to say these two should have won.   I agree they were both very good.  Personally, I didn’t see any of the other performances that were nominated for best actress, and the only other best actor nominee I saw was John David Washington in BlacKkKlansman.   Washington was very good; I would have a hard time choosing between him and Cooper.   

Personally, of the movies I saw I’d go with Daveed Diggs (Blindspotting) for best actor and Elsie Fisher (Eighth Grade) for best actress.    Diggs was not nominated for the Golden Globe, while Fisher was nominated in the category Best Actress in a Musical or Comedy.

Re Clint Eastwood, I’m a big fan and haven’t seen The Mule yet.   However, I’d say the knock on him as an actor is that he always plays the same type of character.   He does it very well, but I don’t think he’s going to get a lot of nominations for playing yet another taciturn, tough, grumpy man of few words.    He got Academy Award actor nominations twice, for Unforgiven and Million Dollar Baby.   I think I could argue he deserved a nomination for Gran Torino.   But isn’t he essentially the same guy in all three of those movies?

On 1/2/2019 at 5:00 PM, Frobby said:

On 1/2/2019 at 5:18 PM, Can_of_corn said:

It is dark, for Marvel at least.

It is more about Thanos than it is the Avengers and Thor gets more limelight in this one.

I finally watched this last night on streaming.    Thought it had way too many characters and subplots.      I’d put it in the bottom 5 of the movies I listed.    Needless to say, there will be another one.  

I usually don't get to the theatre until the holidays.  I did see Sorry to Bother You earlier in the year.

Boy Erased

A Star is Born

Ben is Back (Lucas Hedges has been on quite a run)

Vice

The Mule

On Netflix I watched

Land of Steady Habits

started The Ballad of Buster Scruggs, but got interrupted.