Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
wildcard

Interesting FAs

Recommended Posts

17 minutes ago, backwardsk said:

Baseball Reference likes Gonzalez significantly better 8.1 to 5.2.  I do to.  Love the position flexibility.  If I ran a team that was trying to win, I'd target him.  I have no idea what he's been offered.

He is one large man. Not a guy you want to run into in a dark alley. Really big and strong.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Gerardo Parra just signed a minor league deal with the Giants:

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2019/02/giants-sign-gerardo-parra.html

.5 WAR, hit .284 AVG, .342 OBP, .714 OPS, and 11 SB last year. Certainly not the best player in the world, but is it really surprising to anyone else that he has to compete for a job in Spring Training?

And likewise, Adam Jones was arguably a less valuable player last year. What happens with him?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, theocean said:

Gerardo Parra just signed a minor league deal with the Giants:

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2019/02/giants-sign-gerardo-parra.html

.5 WAR, hit .284 AVG, .342 OBP, .714 OPS, and 11 SB last year. Certainly not the best player in the world, but is it really surprising to anyone else that he has to compete for a job in Spring Training?

And likewise, Adam Jones was arguably a less valuable player last year. What happens with him?

 

Just because he signed a minor league deal doesn't mean he has to compete for a job.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, backwardsk said:

Baseball Reference likes Gonzalez significantly better 8.1 to 5.2.  I do to.  Love the position flexibility.  If I ran a team that was trying to win, I'd target him.  I have no idea what he's been offered.

More than 8 WAR is overvaluing him and I prefer bRef. But still, I think you’re right, Marwin is a nice piece to have. I’d prefer Iglesias as starting SS.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, Il BuonO said:

More than 8 WAR is overvaluing him and I prefer bRef. But still, I think you’re right, Marwin is a nice piece to have. I’d prefer Iglesias as starting SS.

The bulk of that was his outstanding 2017 season.  I wouldn't expect that going forward.  I'd expect more of his 2016 and 2018 production going forward.  I'm big on roster flexibility.

If I had a gaping hole at SS, and that's what I needed to solve, then yeah, give me Iglesias.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 http://www.espn.com/mlb/insider/story/_/id/25979312/ten-radar-free-agents-worth-look

10. Adam Jones, outfielder. He's 33 years old, has 266 career homers and is coming off a season in which he batted .281, or just about what he has batted during his time in MLB. But because he's not viewed as an everyday center fielder anymore by some evaluators, he seems to have fallen into the mud bog of corner outfielder/DH types in free agency. Look, when Avisail Garcia signed a one-year, $2.5 million deal with the Rays, at age 27, that was a really, really bad indication for those left on the corner outfield market. And Jones, a respected veteran and five-time All-Star, could be among those who feel the ripple of the industry change.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

 http://www.espn.com/mlb/insider/story/_/id/25979312/ten-radar-free-agents-worth-look

10. Adam Jones, outfielder. He's 33 years old, has 266 career homers and is coming off a season in which he batted .281, or just about what he has batted during his time in MLB. But because he's not viewed as an everyday center fielder anymore by some evaluators, he seems to have fallen into the mud bog of corner outfielder/DH types in free agency. Look, when Avisail Garcia signed a one-year, $2.5 million deal with the Rays, at age 27, that was a really, really bad indication for those left on the corner outfield market. And Jones, a respected veteran and five-time All-Star, could be among those who feel the ripple of the industry change.

 

 

A national media reporter laying out Adam's situation.  If he falls to 1/3m and will waive his 10/5 rights the O's should sign him.  He is better than Stewart, Rickard or Yaz in right field. And he can be traded at the deadline if he has a good season.  This would delay Hays' service clock which would be a good thing for a team that will likely be under .500 in 2019.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, wildcard said:

A national media reporter laying out Adam's situation.  If he falls to 1/3m and will waive his 10/5 rights the O's should sign him.

I'd rather have Cameron Maybin.  Cheaper, betterD, and some SBs. Probably get him on a milb deal at this point too.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, ScGO's said:

I'd rather have Cameron Maybin.  Cheaper, betterD, and some SBs. Probably get him on a milb deal at this point too.

Maybe does not have the arm to play RF.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, wildcard said:

A national media reporter laying out Adam's situation.  If he falls to 1/3m and will waive his 10/5 rights the O's should sign him.  He is better than Stewart, Rickard or Yaz in right field. And he can be traded at the deadline if he has a good season.  This would delay Hays' service clock which would be a good thing for a team that will likely be under .500 in 2019.

He might have a better arm, but I assure you that he can't cover the ground that Rickard can.  Not sure about Yaz or Stewart but Jones' range isn't great at all.

Look at it through this lens:  If Jones played his entire career for the Mets and was a FA this year, would we even be considering him?  Most likely not.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Moose Milligan said:

He might have a better arm, but I assure you that he can't cover the ground that Rickard can.  Not sure about Yaz or Stewart but Jones' range isn't great at all.

Look at it through this lens:  If Jones played his entire career for the Mets and was a FA this year, would we even be considering him?  Most likely not.  

Damn dude. I haven't even poured my coffee yet and you're already evaluating our RF situation ;)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, wildcard said:

A national media reporter laying out Adam's situation.  If he falls to 1/3m and will waive his 10/5 rights the O's should sign him.  He is better than Stewart, Rickard or Yaz in right field. And he can be traded at the deadline if he has a good season.  This would delay Hays' service clock which would be a good thing for a team that will likely be under .500 in 2019.

Not sure he’d get much of a return on a deadline trade.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, wildbillhiccup said:

Damn dude. I haven't even poured my coffee yet and you're already evaluating our RF situation ;)

Yeah, well.  It's one of the more interesting things about the team this year.  Which isn't saying much, but seeing who seizes the RF spot in ST is something I am watching out for.  And then, of course, if they can hold onto it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
<p>
3-Year Available Free Agent Starter fWAR (min 10GS)
  
Name			GS	IP	ERA	WAR
Dallas Keuchel		83	518.1	3.77	8.7
Gio Gonzalez		96	549.1	3.87	8.4
Ervin Santana		68	417.1	3.60	5.7
Miguel Gonzalez		53	303.1	4.54	3.6
Bartolo Colon		85	481.0	5.05	3.5
Brandon McCarthy	40	211.1	4.51	3.3
Doug Fister		59	336.2	4.68	2.7
Clay Buchholz		39	245.0	3.89	2.5
Bud Norris		22	232.2	4.49	1.6
Scott Kazmir		26	136.1	4.56	1.2
Chris Tillman		56	291.2	5.68	0.9
Yovani Gallardo		63	343.0	5.80	0.7
Jorge De La Rosa	24	241.1	4.74	0.4
Ariel Miranda		40	223.0	4.72	0.3
Edwin Jackson		43	252.0	4.75	0.3
Justin Nicolino		21	127.1	5.02	0.3
Vance Worley		16	158.1	5.06	0.2
A.J. Griffin		38	196.1	5.41	0.1
Phil Hughes		22	145.1	6.01	-0.1
John Lamb		17	80.0	6.53	-0.2
James Shields		87	503.1	5.17	-0.5
Travis Wood		14	155.0	5.28	-0.5
Jon Niese		20	121.0	5.50	-0.6
Aaron Blair		16	73.0	7.89	-0.7
Chris Young		15	118.2	6.52	-1.6
</p>

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
<p>
3-Year Available Free Agent Reliever fWAR (max 10GS, min 50IP, min 0.0 fWAR)
  
Name			SV	IP	ERA	WAR
Craig Kimbrel		108	184.1	2.44	6.0
Nick Vincent		3	181.1	3.62	2.7
Kelvin Herrera		55	175.2	3.18	2.5
Ryan Madson		36	176.1	3.57	2.4
AJ Ramos		67	142.1	3.79	1.6
Tyler Clippard		15	192.0	3.98	1.4
Jim Johnson		44	184.2	4.09	1.3
Jake Diekman		7	117.0	3.92	1.3
Matt Belisle		9	140.2	4.22	1.2
Adam Warren		1	174.1	3.46	1.0
Blake Wood		1	162.2	4.54	1.0
Dan Jennings		2	187.2	2.93	0.9
Aaron Loup		0	111.2	4.19	0.9
Bruce Rondon		2	81.2	6.50	0.9
Boone Logan		1	78.0	4.27	0.9
Chase Whitley		2	72.2	3.96	0.8
Robbie Ross Jr.		0	64.1	3.78	0.8
Adam Liberatore		0	59.0	3.20	0.8
Joaquin Benoit		3	98.1	3.75	0.7
A.J. Schugel		1	84.0	3.00	0.7
Mike Morin		0	79.2	5.20	0.7
Xavier Cedeno		1	77.2	3.48	0.6
Tony Zych		1	54.1	2.82	0.5
Fernando Salas		6	172.1	4.49	0.4
Santiago Casilla	48	148.1	3.76	0.4
John Axford		3	141.1	4.84	0.2
Asher Wojciechowski	0	62.1	6.50	0.2
Daniel Wright		0	59.1	5.61	0.2
Ross Detwiler		0	54.2	5.93	0.2
Peter Moylan		0	132.1	3.67	0.1
Jhan Marinez		0	128.2	3.57	0.1
Drew Storen		4	106.1	4.82	0.0
Erik Goeddel		0	101.1	4.17	0.0
Jose Torres		1	71.1	4.04	0.0

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

Rumors and News






×