Jump to content
Luke-OH

Orioles to Sign RHP Gregory Infante: Add another pitcher with high spin breaking ball(s).

Recommended Posts

Classified as "shoulder inflammation," this could be a good, low cost pick up if he is healthy. An 8.00 ERA in April in 10 appearances (after missing the whole Spring due to the shoulder) doesn't speak highly of him. Hopefully the shoulder won't be an issue.

After watching the videos you provided, I'm not entirely sold. Granted, they are all 1 video of 1 pitch.

His slider dropped off the table really well.

His curveball didn't have much curve to it. It started outside and tailed off and down just a little. The batter chased a bad pitch.

The fastball didn't have any movement to it from the camera angle. It might have tailed in to the righty a bit at the end and was 97, but it looked like a "straight" 97.

Gonna try and find some more videos of him to watch though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Legend_Of_Joey said:

Classified as "shoulder inflammation," this could be a good, low cost pick up if he is healthy. An 8.00 ERA in April in 10 appearances (after missing the whole Spring due to the shoulder) doesn't speak highly of him. Hopefully the shoulder won't be an issue.

After watching the videos you provided, I'm not entirely sold. Granted, they are all 1 video of 1 pitch.

His slider dropped off the table really well.

His curveball didn't have much curve to it. It started outside and tailed off and down just a little. The batter chased a bad pitch.

The fastball didn't have any movement to it from the camera angle. It might have tailed in to the righty a bit at the end and was 97, but it looked like a "straight" 97.

Gonna try and find some more videos of him to watch though.

He was solid in 2017 when healthy. 

Yeah, the fastball is pretty straight and flat.

High spin breaking balls don't have that big loopy break, it's more a tight late break, the benefit being that it helps the fastball play up since it's not easily distinguishable from the curveball until it's too late. 

This is Elias taking guys with certain attributes (high spin breaking balls) that the Astros had success in optimizing performance in by changing pitch mix and strategy. I would expect more to be coming with the idea that if you can unlock performance in one pitcher, you automatically have an additional controllable asset. 

  • Upvote 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Luke-OH said:

He was solid in 2017 when healthy. 

Yeah, the fastball is pretty straight and flat.

High spin breaking balls don't have that big loopy break, it's more a tight late break, the benefit being that it helps the fastball play up since it's not easily distinguishable from the curveball until it's too late. 

This is Elias taking guys with certain attributes (high spin breaking balls) that the Astros had success in optimizing performance in by changing pitch mix and strategy. I would expect more to be coming with the idea that if you can unlock performance in one pitcher, you automatically have an additional controllable asset. 

Yeah, he was solid in 2017 when healthy, but was a dumpster fire in 2018 with the shoulder issue. Hopefully the shoulder is healed and he gets back to the 2017 self, but, especially after the Tillman debacle and my own shoulder issue, I take the cautious view with those injuries on pitchers.

Thanks for clearing up that part about "high spin breaking balls don't have that big loopy break." I really though those were the "12-6" style curves.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Infante likely begins the season  at Norfolk.  He is out of options so he will not be on the Norfolk Shuttle.     Could get a call up at some point during the  season.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Cy Bundy said:

You’ll want the volume up.

 

Me gusta este lanzador!  Numero dos y entonces el fin con el ponche!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Enjoy Terror said:

My next question is: who are the remaining free agents with high spin rates?

There are a few, but they mostly have 6 years of service time. I imagine they’ll target types that they can grab cheap and then control multiple years if they work out like Brice and Infante. Do you know where I could find a good milb free agent list?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, Luke-OH said:

There are a few, but they mostly have 6 years of service time. I imagine they’ll target types that they can grab cheap and then control multiple years if they work out like Brice and Infante. Do you know where I could find a good milb free agent list?

Here's a list, but I'm not sure which have signed already:

https://www.baseballamerica.com/stories/minor-league-free-agents-2018/

  • Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Rumors and News






×