Sign in to follow this  
Frobby

Major league payrolls dropped $18 mm in 2018

5 minutes ago, Frobby said:

First drop since 2010.   The average salary also dropped by about $1500, the first drop since 2004.   http://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/25715085/mlb-payrolls-dropped-18-million-2018-first-decrease-2010

MLB atttibuted the drop to various drug suspensions that caused players to lose pay, plus Colby Rasmus walking away from $1.5 mm.

MLB Sees Record Revenues Of $10.3 Billion For 2018

5 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

You know the union can’t be happy that their percentage of the growing pie is shrinking.    I think one thing we will see them push for is a drastic increase in year 1-3 salaries, and possibly earlier entry into arbitration and/or free agency.         Also maybe a drastic increase in luxury tax thresholds.    It could get ugly. 

14 minutes ago, Frobby said:

You know the union can’t be happy that their percentage of the growing pie is shrinking.    I think one thing we will see them push for is a drastic increase in year 1-3 salaries, and possibly earlier entry into arbitration and/or free agency.         Also maybe a drastic increase in luxury tax thresholds.    It could get ugly. 

I'm expecting some sort of strike/lock out.

24 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I'm expecting some sort of strike/lock out.

I’ve heard that a few times, but as the current contract still has 3 years to run, I can’t get too worked up about it right now.    I’m just hoping that by then the O’s will have turned the corner and I’ll actually have a reason to care whether the 2022 season starts on time.   

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

First drop since 2010.   The average salary also dropped by about $1500, the first drop since 2004.   http://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/25715085/mlb-payrolls-dropped-18-million-2018-first-decrease-2010

MLB atttibuted the drop to various drug suspensions that caused players to lose pay, plus Colby Rasmus walking away from $1.5 mm.

Makes sense. 

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

Cano for the full 80 was a big one.

They couldn't keep hockeysticking forever.  At some point it's going to plateau, maybe dip for a little bit.  They'll keep going up over the long haul but I've got a hard time shedding a tear for the millionaires that play the game and billionaires that run it.  Even the league minimum was 545,000 last year.  If I made 545,000 in a year, I'd be so f'ing psyched, it'd be awesome.  Beers on me.  

• Haha 1

It’s worth noting that over at Roster Resource, Jason Martinez projects Boston’s current luxury tax payroll to be at a hefty $239.7MM. Even accounting for a bit of wiggle room, that doesn’t leave Boston with much room if the team hopes to remain south of the top luxury tax penalization bracket.

Boston is going with no closer.

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2019/01/red-sox-rumors-dombrowski-large-expenditure-closer-craig-kimbrel.html

Or at least anyone that they don't already have. 

5 hours ago, Moose Milligan said:

They couldn't keep hockeysticking forever.  At some point it's going to plateau, maybe dip for a little bit.  They'll keep going up over the long haul but I've got a hard time shedding a tear for the millionaires that play the game and billionaires that run it.  Even the league minimum was 545,000 last year.  If I made 545,000 in a year, I'd be so f'ing psyched, it'd be awesome.  Beers on me.  

I get it, but I still would rather see more of the money in the player's pocket when the owners are getting more.   If I made 545k in a year, some single malt whiskey on me!

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, murph said:

I get it, but I still would rather see more of the money in the player's pocket when the owners are getting more.   If I made 545k in a year, some single malt whiskey on me!

I don't disagree entirely.  But I think it's just going to come to a point where owners are going to balk at salaries and contract lengths.  I think we're seeing that now with Machado and Harper.   I don't think there's a team that would want to go over 300 million, I don't think there's a team that wants to give 10 years.  We'll see what happens in the end.

5 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

I don't disagree entirely.  But I think it's just going to come to a point where owners are going to balk at salaries and contract lengths.  I think we're seeing that now with Machado and Harper.   I don't think there's a team that would want to go over 300 million, I don't think there's a team that wants to give 10 years.  We'll see what happens in the end.

That point was reached last year.  Teams are going younger and cheaper and unlike during the collusion period it makes sense for them to be acting like they are.

I do think the Nats are currently offering more than 10/300 for Harper and I hope they choke on the contract he ends up with.

3 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

That point was reached last year.  Teams are going younger and cheaper and unlike during the collusion period it makes sense for them to be acting like they are.

I do think the Nats are currently offering more than 10/300 for Harper and I hope they choke on the contract he ends up with.

Yea, I was looking for that and found one reference:

Jim Bowden of The Athletic was told by a source that the Nationals' last offer to Bryce Harper was "much more than the $300 million being reported by the media."
Bowden says that the reported 10-year, $300 million offer the Nats made at the end of the regular season was just their first offer. It's unclear when the club might have bumped up their initial offer, but worth noting is that Chelsea Janes of the Washington Post reported earlier this week that Harper and his agent, Scott Boras, had a five-hour meeting with owner Ted Lerner on the Saturday before Christmas. It's tough to peg a favorite to land Harper at this point, but we can't rule out him ultimately returning to Washington.

I do agree a reset has or is still occurring, but still would not be shocked by 300M plus for both of them.

I keep seeing comments about Owners not making more money. I hate to be Captain Obvious but no Owner, no Team, no money.

If you take the risk, you deserve a reward.

• Upvote 1