Sign in to follow this  
Roll Tide

Free Agency thread

The Ravens have 20 players who will become free agents, 10 of them unrestricted. Top names include linebackers C.J. Mosley, Terrell Suggs and Za’Darius Smith, wide receiver John Brown and defensive end Brent Urban.

The Ravens will put a full-court press on Mosley, one of the top linebackers in the league. He will command top dollar, and Smith will also draw a lot of attention because of his ability to rush the passer.

Ideally, the Ravens would like to sign a big-name free-agent receiver, but that might be hard with Jackson’s reputation as an option quarterback and the offense that was built around him in 2018.

A better route might be through the draft. Other top needs include a free safety, guards, a fast and shifty running back, and outside linebackers, especially if second-year players such as Tyus Bowser and Tim Williams continue to struggle.

This is a quote from Mike Preston

I don't think they should overpay Mosley personally! I like him an think hes a solid MLB but he's not Ray Lewis/Urlacher Etc

****** I see no way that a top receiver would come here to block for Lamar Jackson*********

2 hours ago, Brian88 said:

Seems like a lot of new threads about the same topics.

Sorry Brian ....Trying to spurn some interest in the Ravens here. As you can probably see there is no content or mods ever in this section.

I have started threads as I believe the cap, free agency, the draft are separate issues.

27 minutes ago, Aglets said:

When do we have to make a decision on someone like Suggs?

Suggs is an unrestricted free agent! unless you are going to tag him which is not happening he becomes a free agent March 14th. I assume they can negotiate until then and probably will. Julius Peppers is a comparable IMO and received a 1 year $3.5 million salary for 2017 his age 36 and 2.25 million this year.

If Suggs is not willing to play for an amount in that ballpark he is probably allowed to walk.

Ravens talking to Mosley's agent

The Baltimore Ravens have had "recent contract talks" with C.J. Mosley's agent, Jimmy Sexton, as the linebacker is set to hit free agency this offseason, per The Athletic's Jeff Zrebiec

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2815831-nfl-rumors-cj-mosley-ravens-have-discussed-new-contract-ahead-of-free-agency

Sounds like he wants to stay!

"I've never been a guy that's liked change or gone to a new place and start over," Mosley told ESPN's Michael DiRocco and Jenna Laine 

They need to get something done as the TAG is worth $15 million. Mosley is a good player but not worth that amount.

5 minutes ago, Brian88 said:

I'd rather use the money on Z. Smith.

4 minutes ago, Aglets said:

Agreed.  I'd like to see him stay but right player right price and all that.

I dont think the two are exclusive as we have plenty of money to spend with expected cuts and the cap rising.

I think Mosley is worth about $8 million per season on a 3-4 year deal. I suspect he wants much more than that. If so I would pass.

For reference.  

Mosely (above average) #22 LB rating by PFF

Smith (Above average) #34 LB rating by PFF

Smith does get credit for his pass rushing but the two different roles accounts for that.

I agree I am not going to break the bank for Mosely, but his important to this defense.  What the Ravens dont have is a great coverage LB who can cover the good TEs you see in the AFC, but that is also something a good safety can do too.

25  free agents

1) Demarcus Lawrence  DE

3) Clowney    DE

5) Trey Flowers  DE

7) Dee Ford OLB

15) Mathieu S

23) DIX S

*************** Mosley #10 and Z Smith #20^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I'd be after 1 of Dix/Mathieu to replace one of our current safeties and replace Suggs with Lawrence/Clowney/Flowers/Ford. Ford would be my choice because he's more can do more than blitz.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000001011078/article/top-25-nfl-free-agents-of-2019-defenders-dominate-rankings

4 hours ago, Roll Tide said:

25  free agents

1) Demarcus Lawrence  DE

3) Clowney    DE

5) Trey Flowers  DE

7) Dee Ford OLB

15) Mathieu S

23) DIX S

*************** Mosley #10 and Z Smith #20^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I'd be after 1 of Dix/Mathieu to replace one of our current safeties and replace Suggs with Lawrence/Clowney/Flowers/Ford. Ford would be my choice because he's more can do more than blitz.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000001011078/article/top-25-nfl-free-agents-of-2019-defenders-dominate-rankings

Cant sink that much into defense.  Have to invest in the line after letting two lineman go in the last two years. 

1 hour ago, Camden_yardbird said:

Cant sink that much into defense.  Have to invest in the line after letting two lineman go in the last two years. 

It would depend who they draft and cut ...They will likely have 40+ in cap space so they can get a couple guys now that they've moved on from Joe and likely expensive Suggs, Weddle, Jimmy Smith, and possibly Mosley? So they have plenty of dough to work with!

I think they will draft a OL and look to bring in one on the 2 OL lineman that are highly ranked are both coming off injuries Paradis the C had a broken leg. They likely wont be tagged for that reason but you have to be real careful when signing injury guys to big contracts IMO You cant sign guys that arent there just because you have money to spend. Perhaps they could trade a guy like Smith in exchange for a teams stating OL?