Roy Firestone

Please. Someone tell me what I can get excited about for this season.

1 hour ago, Roy Firestone said:

Sure, its a re-build. But tell me which players are going to attract fans and make people spend good money to want to see those players? If we move Bundy and Cobb and if we trade Trumbo, what is this franchise going to do for an attraction? Its still the entertainment business. You NEED players that excite or create a buzz.How does this fanbase respond to players that few really know, or care about?

It's not the players so much but a new GM. New Manager. New coaches. That's what has me excided. 

Reasons to be excited:

- A season of seeing a good amount of the youngsters from the farm from the last season and this season (Mullins, Wilkerson, Wynns, Fry, Hess, Hays, Stewart, ect)

- A season of seeing the workings of the new GM and manager, who both appear to actually be on the same page (when the last combo didn't even appear to be in the same library)

- A season where, since a lot of people are already seemingly predicting 162 losses, there is a lot of room for those "Orioles Magic" moments

- A season of finally feeling like there is a breath of fresh air now with "new" ownership taking over

- If you go to the games, a season of some pretty good giveaways

1 hour ago, Can_of_corn said:

It's baseball.  That makes it inherently better than non baseball things.

That's for sure. I'm not concerned about losses at this point. It's a rebuild and they have the correct guys to what's best for the team. 

Roy...if you're asking on behalf of the casual fan, I agree it's a harder sell.

However, you're Roy F****** Firestone! You are synonymous with the Baltimore Orioles. You're not the guy who buys weak advertising about a team with a bunch of big names and under performers. You know the game. You want substance. Now is the time to watch for substance. How are our pitchers being used? Are they getting better? Are they mixing pitches differently? Do we have guys with better plate appearances? Is the fielding any better? Are the things happening outside of the 25-man roster exciting? Along the way there will definitely be great stories. Someone forgotten by MLB will have a good year. Some unknown personality will emerge. Some scrappy middle infielder will blow us away with effort plays. Maybe a guy like Cobb, or Bundy, or *gasp* Davis can re-emerge as a high-level player. 

These are all things you should care about. If you want a payroll that's $100 million more than this and capable of winning 81 games, then you're forgetting that Roy F****** Firestone wants championships in Baltimore, and he knows what it will take to put this organization into a position to win those championships.

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Going Underground said:

Billy Joel at the yard.Patty Symth and Scsndal singing Goodbye to You to Chtis Davis in September. The Oriole team will hustle but mostly not fun to watch.

If I was in Baltimore I'd be cheering my ass off for the team. 

2 hours ago, Roy Firestone said:

Sure, its a re-build. But tell me which players are going to attract fans and make people spend good money to want to see those players? If we move Bundy and Cobb and if we trade Trumbo, what is this franchise going to do for an attraction? Its still the entertainment business. You NEED players that excite or create a buzz.How does this fanbase respond to players that few really know, or care about?

When the season is lost before it begins, one turns to gambling.  It's pretty much that simple.  Entertain yourself with an endless parade of side-bets that can be applied on a game-by-game basis, over the course of the season, or by player performance metrics...  I'm sure there are many on this board that will toss a few choice items before all is said and done in September...

I'm excited now for what this team will look like 3-4 years from now! I really am. I know we're going to lose a lot of ball games, that the yankee and red sox fans will take over the yard. I just can't wait to see some of young players, who we get in the draft, and watching the Elias makeover! Let's go!

2 hours ago, Moose Milligan said:

Don't spend good money, just watch on TV.

Or if you do spend good money to go, just have a good time and remind yourself what a joy OPACY is.  Remember how good it used to be and how good it can be again.

I figured you would recommend skipping watching the Orioles play and instead go to some dive bar and watch sundry rock “n” roll bands.  

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Roy Firestone said:

Please ........ someone tell me what I can get excited about for this season ???

o

Fonts and colors, when you make a good post.

ROY FIRESTON))) ENOTSERIF YOR

o

• Upvote 1

There's not a single player in the 25 man roster right now that fits what you're looking for.  And that's okay.  We're going to lose at least 90 games this year, and maybe 100+ again.  And that's okay.  What will keep me going is the hope of better things to come with competent management in place.

Seriously Roy? You're going to have 50....maybe 60 days and nights this summer to enjoy an Orioles victory. How doesn't that get your adrenaline pumping?