Roy Firestone

Please. Someone tell me what I can get excited about for this season.

On 1/11/2019 at 12:51 PM, Diehard_O's_Fan said:

Don't be so pessimistic Roy. Things can't go any worse than last year. The Orioles are now the modern day money ball team. I am extremely excited. I look for the Orioles to be as good as the Astros one day. Just need to give it some time. It won't take 14 years. I guarantee you that.

I think this season could be every BIT as bad as last year..possibly worse. Hell, we had a historically bad year WITH Manny and Schoop and Gausman etc. We have a real shot at being worse.Sorry, but thats true.

2 minutes ago, Roy Firestone said:

I think this season could be every BIT as bad as last year..possibly worse. Hell, we had a historically bad year WITH Manny and Schoop and Gausman etc. We have a real shot at being worse.Sorry, but thats true.

But Buck and his -8 Pythag is gone.

1 hour ago, Roy Firestone said:

Could be, but extremely different circumstances. Last year they were hopelessly thinking they were contenders. This year they're in a total rebuild from the front office to the field and have changed the whole organizational philosophy, for me in a very positive way. So, I'd say enjoy the new found optimism and enjoy the process of new, younger players, or check in a couple of years, when we start contending for the post season

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

But Buck and his -8 Pythag is gone.

If you look at WAR we should have won 63 games last season.  I think it will be hard to win less than 47 games next season.  New manager wont be playing favorites. GM should have almost total control of roster.  People will be playing to stay in the majors.  If we win less than 47 Elias is a bad GM.  

5 minutes ago, atomic said:

If you look at WAR we should have won 63 games last season.  I think it will be hard to win less than 47 games next season.  New manager wont be playing favorites. GM should have almost total control of roster.  People will be playing to stay in the majors.  If we win less than 47 Elias is a bad GM.  

WAR does not work that way. There are some guys here who can help you with that. 

4 hours ago, Roy Firestone said:

Sorry Roy, but this (focusing on W-L at the start of a rebuild) is the equivalent of pointing to pitcher wins or batting average--i.e., irrelevant. Who cares how many they win or lose next year? It's how they play the game. ;)

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, atomic said:

I wouldn't go that far.

Roy, you get officially excited after the first two drafts. If we can groom a good collection of minor leaguers at corner positions and have at least capable pitching, which we have been missing, then it is time to get excited. Will this year suck? Yes, it will truly suck, but a true baseball guy will be watching development at the minor levels, and progress on the field. If we win 65 games, I will be doing back flips if younger players are playing to their capacity at the end of the year.

Things you should be excited for;

Bobble head nights for Alex Cobb, Mychal Givens, and Trey Mancini. 

Donnie Hart leading the MLB in GS.

The Villar trade sweepstakes.

Celebrating 5 seasons since Delmon Young’s double  

15 hours ago, Roy Firestone said:

Huh? Why does that matter right now? For the first time in decades the organization might really be seeing legitimate change. The front office is now intelligent. It's respected. It will communicate as it should. We will participate in the international market. We will be a modern baseball organization.

You're thinking about win totals right now? I would trade every single 2019 win for knowing that the organization is finally getting it's act together for the foreseeable future.

• Upvote 1

16 hours ago, Roy Firestone said:

The 1915 A's won 43 games, then in '16 they declined to 36-117.  But keep your head up, Roy.  A mere 12 years later they were better than the Ruth-Gehrig Yankees.

• Haha 1

16 hours ago, Roy Firestone said:

Roy, you worry me.

Daddy Peter has stepped aside.

They did a pretty good scrubbing of the personal from the ranks.

They appeared to be hiring some good replacement, and hopefully better folks.

True, they might suck this year.

But, you don't think, they are going to be building for the long term and to be competitive in a couple of years?

I might not be looking forward to this season, but I am looking forward to the future of the franchise.  I think we all probably need to focus a bit more on the light at the end of the tunnel. It might be dull, but it's growing a bit brighter with each passing day. 

All that said, I'd be amazed if this team won more than 55 games this season (and that's ok).