Sign in to follow this  
Frobby

Pretty awesome championship games

It’s hard to argue with the NFC and AFC championship games yesterday.   Both decided in overtime, both tied up on last minute field goals, both with some controversial calls here and there.   (That non-call for pass interference on the Rams is one of the worst missed calls I’ve ever seen, if not the worst.)    Really fun to watch.   

Both were great games unless you were a fan of the losing teams.  The Saints were totally screwed over.  As for the AFC game, the fact that Mahomes didn't get to touch the ball in OT is deplorable.  They have got to change the OT rules.  It's not that hard.  Just give both teams one offensive possession.  During the season if no one scores on that one possession call it a tie. In the playoffs, give each team one possession.  If it is still tied, next score wins.  Done.  

o

The referees called a shitty game in the NFC title game, including robbing the Rams of 2 chances to score a touchdown on 2 different occasions prior to the non-call on the pass interference.

In the 2nd quarter, the referees they didn't call an egregious defensive holding on 3rd down when the Rams were driving deep in Saints territory. Instead of having an automatic 1st down inside the Saints' 15 yardline, the Rams instead had to settle for a field goal.

Plus, there was a blatant facemask of Jared Goff late in the 4th quarter that was not called, which also likely cost the Rams a touchdown (they instead had to settle for a field goal.

They called 3 penalties against the Saints the entire game
, and 7 against the Rams. The Saints didn't lose that game because of that call, if you want to be impartial about it and consider the entire game. Immediately prior to that non-call, the Saints had a chance to take almost all of the time off of the clock, and instead chose to pass the ball twice, saving the Rams 40 seconds AND a timeout. So instead of giving  the Rams the ball back with less than a minute left and no timeouts, they gave them the ball back with 1:41 and one timeout.

So, while that non-call was obviously crucial when it occurred and very likely would have won the Saints the game if it had been called, it did not occur in a vacuum, completely unrelated to everything that happened in the previous 58 minutes and 15 seconds of game-time prior to that play. If everything that happened up until that point was necessarily fair and square, then I think that Saints fans (and others who agree with their position) they would have a case ........ I don't think that that claim is valid though, as evidenced by my points earlier in this post.

The Rams overcame the bad calls against them, and outplayed the Saints from late in the 2nd quarter onward. The Saints didn't overcome the bad calls against them, including some very questionable play-calling late in the 4th quarter (very poor clock management), and turning the ball over in overtime when they won the coin toss.

o

On 1/21/2019 at 10:17 AM, Frobby said:

It’s hard to argue with the NFC and AFC championship games yesterday.   Both decided in overtime, both tied up on last minute field goals, both with some controversial calls here and there.   (That non-call for pass interference on the Rams is one of the worst missed calls I’ve ever seen, if not the worst.)    Really fun to watch.   

That wasn't close to being the worst call you have ever seen.  It was close and the guy wouldn't have caught the ball anyway.

This is the most over reaction I have ever seen to anything.  If the Saints ran the ball on first down they would have won.  The pass play they called would have been a short gain anyway if it had succeeded.  

There us no reason for Saints to be given the game. I think it was a good call in the situation.  

36 minutes ago, atomic said:

That wasn't close to being the worst call you have ever seen.  It was close and the guy wouldn't have caught the ball anyway.

Nothing close about that call.   He mauled the guy long before the ball arrived.    Just an awful call.    

That said, the Saints didn’t stop the Rams from tying the game in regulation.    That’s on them, not the refs.  

4 hours ago, Frobby said:

Nothing close about that call.   He mauled the guy long before the ball arrived.    Just an awful call.    

That said, the Saints didn’t stop the Rams from tying the game in regulation.    That’s on them, not the refs.  

Exactly, not to mention there was a helmet to helmet hit to boot.  

12 hours ago, Frobby said:

I am guessing you don't watch much football. That was a pretty close play.  Sure if you look at it in super slow motion but other wise it was a bang bang play.  It is hardly an awful call.  You can find 20 worse misses on calls in every game. I don't know how many times the Ravens were called for Roughing the Passer or late hits on plays that were close to being either of those. 

The penalty was rightfully not called. You have to win these games not have them given to you by the Refs. 

7 hours ago, O's84 said:

Exactly, not to mention there was a helmet to helmet hit to boot.  

The helmet to helmet hit is a valid penalty.  But for pass interference really the hit was less than 1/4 of second early.  To me this is not a big deal.  Happens constantly.  If you called every play like this the games would never end.  And if the hit was on time the guy wouldn't have caught it.  

It is so hilariously stupid that some sacred coin flip was used to determine whether or not the probable league MVP, talk of the league, 50 TD wunderkind would even get to touch the ball on OT. The NFL spends the whole season building it all up only to have their own rules just undermine the whole story. I just want to enjoy talented players compete against eachother and create memorable moments and it is a shame to watch the NFL get in its own way and cheapen these moments.

15 hours ago, wd40 said:

It is so hilariously stupid that some sacred coin flip was used to determine whether or not the probable league MVP, talk of the league, 50 TD wunderkind would even get to touch the ball on OT. The NFL spends the whole season building it all up only to have their own rules just undermine the whole story. I just want to enjoy talented players compete against eachother and create memorable moments and it is a shame to watch the NFL get in its own way and cheapen these moments.

So you want the story to be all about one player than about the game being played. I think the rules are fine the way they are.  I think more people are interested in Tom Brady than the Chiefs QB.  He is a household name for people who don't even watch football.. No one other than hard core fans or people from Kansas City even know the Kansas City QB's name.  

24 minutes ago, atomic said:

So you want the story to be all about one player than about the game being played. I think the rules are fine the way they are.  I think more people are interested in Tom Brady than the Chiefs QB.  He is a household name for people who don't even watch football.. No one other than hard core fans or people from Kansas City even know the Kansas City QB's name.  

Of course not, as I said I want the focus to be on the game and the players. This whole season has been mired in officiating ineptness, more so than usual, which has taken away from that. In fact, I wanted the Patriots to win but I also wanted to see Mahomes get a chance to respond in OT.

OT has always been incredibly anti-climactic and not resembling real football. I would greatly prefer the teams to play a full quarter of actual football. Even if another full 15 minutes is too much, a 10 minute period or something would suffice as long as it is a set amount of time. I realize this is all a long shot but if people don't complain about what they don't like about the ruleset we will be stuck with the antiquated and monolithic rules of the NFL until real competition comes along and forces change.

9 minutes ago, wd40 said:

Of course not, as I said I want the focus to be on the game and the players. This whole season has been mired in officiating ineptness, more so than usual, which has taken away from that. In fact, I wanted the Patriots to win but I also wanted to see Mahomes get a chance to respond in OT.

OT has always been incredibly anti-climactic and not resembling real football. I would greatly prefer the teams to play a full quarter of actual football. Even if another full 15 minutes is too much, a 10 minute period or something would suffice as long as it is a set amount of time. I realize this is all a long shot but if people don't complain about what they don't like about the ruleset we will be stuck with the antiquated and monolithic rules of the NFL until real competition comes along and forces change.

That could be something for playoffs or more specifically championship games.  If you did it with full quarters the game could go on a really long time. You don't want to see teams playing two games in one day.  At least with the Championship games you would have time to recover from extremely long games with the two week break. 

8 hours ago, atomic said:

So you think the rules are fine as long as the more famous QB wins the coin flip? What if it had gone the other way and Tom Brady never had a chance to touch the ball in OT?

• Thanks 1

On 1/24/2019 at 8:36 PM, PaulFolk said:

So you think the rules are fine as long as the more famous QB wins the coin flip? What if it had gone the other way and Tom Brady never had a chance to touch the ball in OT?

I’m fine with the new rules.   Used to be that even a field goal could end the game with the other team not getting a chance.    If you want your QB to get a chance, stop the other team from scoring a frigging touchdown!

No overtime in the regular season.  Use wins instead of winning percentage for standings.  For example, an 8-7-1 team would go through the same tie breakers as an 8-8 team.

In the playoffs, use college rules, but have each team start at the 50.