Sign in to follow this  
Tony-OH

Terps (#13) @ Michigan State (#6)

That's a really good, deep team Michigan State has here. Maryland didn't play well, shooting 33.3% from the field while committing 12 turnovers, but a lot of that was just Izzo's team being a step ahead of Maryland all day on ball sides of the court.

Can't get too upset since Maryland is a young team, so the question is can they rebound after this thumping or do they let this stick in their crawl?  

Concerns: Jaylen Smith looks like he might be wearing down. He's getting beat often to contested rebounds and his offensive game has been pretty weak.

Pluses: Aaron Wiggens had a decent game, but only went 5-for-13 from the field.

46 minutes ago, Oriole4Life said:

I just want to see them get better offensive sets.  You're right, Izzo is light years ahead of Turgeon.  Some of it is on the players, they need to move.  Fernando is the only one trying really hard it seems.

Cowan was trying.  A little too hard.  He was trying to slash when his 3 points weren't falling.  The problem is that MSU's post play is just too good for that.

1 minute ago, Tony-OH said:

That's a really good, deep team Michigan State has here. Maryland didn't play well, shooting 33.3% from the field while committing 12 turnovers, but a lot of that was just Izzo's team being a step ahead of Maryland all day on ball sides of the court.

Can't get too upset since Maryland is a young team, so the question is can they rebound after this thumping or do they let this stick in their crawl?  

Concerns: Jaylen Smith looks like he might be wearing down. He's getting beat often to contested rebounds and his offensive game has been pretty weak.

Pluses: Aaron Wiggens had a decent game, but only went 5-for-13 from the field.

The entire team had butter fingers when it came to pulling down rebounds.  It's been a while since I've seen so many loose balls bounce off players' fingers.

3 minutes ago, Hallas said:

I don't really think there's anything Turgeon could have done differently this game.  This is the first game in a long time where Fernando didn't completely outmatch the opposing team's big men, and Maryland was ice cold from 3.  That's just a really bad combination.  If you asked me before the game how we would win this game, I would 💯% say "be on fire from 3, and play good defense." We played decent defense but we were ice cold all over the floor, not just from 3.

I don't think Turgeon is why we lost the game, but it is clear that Izzo's team has many more open looks and plays a much better style of defense than the Terps. That's coaching.

Michigan State is a much deeper, better team than Maryland. The Terps Freshman have been very good, but they are very inconsistent night in a night out which is not surprising for Freshman. I'm concerned that Jaylen Smith is starting to tire. He was overmatched tonight along with Ayala against Michigan state. 

Cowan just had an offnight but part was that they took away his driving into the lane (something this team as a whole does really well). Terps had nine shots blocked, turned the ball over 12 times, and only had seven free throws all night.

That is being dominated defensively. Hats off to Izzo. He knows how to beat Turgeon's generic offensive scheme. Izzo is just at a different level coaching wise and it always shows when then Terps play them.

I think it's pretty apparent that Jalen Smith needs another year in college. He doesn't have the offensive arsenal to play in the NBA yet. He also needs to bulk up. If he leaves after this year he's gonna end up in the D league indefinitely. 

Maryland looked slow. Michigan State has experience and depth. We have lots of talent but are young and have some depth, not a lot.

29 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

Michigan State is a much deeper, better team than Maryland.

I think it's mainly just that MSU is older and better coached. Bruno is a top 5-10 pick. Smith will be first round when he leaves. Have 3 or 4 other nice complimentary players. Give the Maryland players to Izzo and MSU guys to Turgeon .. would you really bet against Izzo winning?

12 hours ago, Finisher said:

I think it's mainly just that MSU is older and better coached. Bruno is a top 5-10 pick. Smith will be first round when he leaves. Have 3 or 4 other nice complimentary players. Give the Maryland players to Izzo and MSU guys to Turgeon .. would you really bet against Izzo winning?

No, I would never bet against Izzo winning because he's always a step ahead or Turgeon and many other coaches. Saying that, the Terps looked like a young team last night playing on a big stage against an older more experiences and well-coached team. Izzo knows how to shut down Turgeon's offense and they certainly did that last night. The only chance Maryland had was if Michigan State was ice cold, but they shot pretty well overall.

I don't know how much is scheme/coaching vs experience/talent, but I do know that Michigan State dominated that game from start to finish. It's just one game though so I'm not really worried. The Terps were due a bad game and I'm not going to be upset at the Terps going 3-1 over the last four games.

12 hours ago, Oriole4Life said:

I think it's pretty apparent that Jalen Smith needs another year in college. He doesn't have the offensive arsenal to play in the NBA yet. He also needs to bulk up. If he leaves after this year he's gonna end up in the D league indefinitely. 

Maryland looked slow. Michigan State has experience and depth. We have lots of talent but are young and have some depth, not a lot.

He would make a Justin Jackson-type of stupid decision if he tried to go pro next year. From what i can tell, Smith has a much better head on his shoulders so I don't see him doing anything but possibly doing the NBA-check thing like Bruno did last year. I have to imagine he'll be back because he's not close to being NBA ready.