Sign in to follow this  
foxfield

# 19 Chris Davis 2019

21 minutes ago, jabba72 said:

Davis was blaming the weather for his cold start last April, im not positive but that might have been one of his better months statistically.  I dont like the shift either (when Davis is hitting, anyway) but its not the reason for his struggles. He's the reason only one or two teams are willing to go 8 years on Machado. 

If teams are using the Davis situation to inform their Machado decisions, that’s a mistake. 

Apples to antelopes comparison.

13 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

Someone tell him about how some batters are successfully battling the shift by hitting less balls on the ground.

Such sour grapes, I can't deal with it so I want it to go away.

I bunted twice and they still shift.

I have to agree he wasn’t nearly patient enough with the bunt tactic.   

1 minute ago, mdbdotcom said:

It's tough to figure how the shift hurt his ability to hit home runs.

The shift is just the scapegoat, I hope he isn’t silly enough to believe that’s really the root of his issues.

1 minute ago, Luke-OH said:

The shift is just the scapegoat, I hope he isn’t silly enough to believe that’s really the root of his issues.

He has dropped some weight.  He is probably trying to get into the best fitness of his life..

11 minutes ago, wildcard said:

He has dropped some weight.  He is probably trying to get into the best fitness of his life..

Or he's stopped lifting as much.

He looked smaller last year, didn't help him get down the line any faster.

14 minutes ago, wildcard said:

When your one tool is power and hitting for contact is one of your worst tools, this seems problematic.

• Upvote 1

Just now, mdbdotcom said:

Just a few weeks until we start to see signs of how his transformation to a slap hitter works out for him.

On the bright side that would cause them to stop shifting on him.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, wildcard said:

1 hour ago, Can_of_corn said:

Or he's stopped lifting as much.

He looked smaller last year, didn't help him get down the line any faster.

Or he got paid hundreds of millions of dollars which changed the risk/reward equation on using performance enhancing drugs.  Hell of an incentive shift. 

P.S.  I have no proof but anecdotal observations and history of baseball

2 hours ago, Frobby said:

I have to agree he wasn’t nearly patient enough with the bunt tactic.   

He never tried push bunting. Easier to do than trying to deaden the ball and more effective v the shift.

43 minutes ago, bird watcher said:

Or he got paid hundreds of millions of dollars which changed the risk/reward equation on using performance enhancing drugs.  Hell of an incentive shift. 

P.S.  I have no proof but anecdotal observations and history of baseball

This is how I have felt. How many guys in the steroid Era have gotten a big contract and then started losing weight (and power). They say they are getting in better shape but truthfully they are losing mass. 

20 minutes ago, turtlebowl said:

This is how I have felt. How many guys in the steroid Era have gotten a big contract and then started losing weight (and power). They say they are getting in better shape but truthfully they are losing mass. 

The same process can occur without steroids.  

I can't help but get the sense from the article in August and now, that Chris Davis does not understand why he is bad.  Or more directly, what the issue is..

https://www.baseball-reference.com/players/split.fcgi?id=davisch02&year=2018

The batting splits for Davis last year show remarkable consistency across almost any measure.  Situationally, on the road vs home, he simply had incredible difficulty getting on base through 470 at bats.  The shift certainly affected him.  I mean, it would not be used if it didn't work.  But there are three things that Davis could do to improve his chances against the shift.

1) Bunt more than twice...especially if the only reason the first two did not work were super human feats of defense to prevent getting on base.

2) Square up the ball.  Davis had 79 hits in 2018 and 42 of them came in the 69 at bats where he hit a line drive.  For comparison in 113 at bats he hit a ground ball and of those, he reached safely only 18 times.  And in 94 of his at bats, he hit fly balls and managed 19 hits, of which 15 were HR.

3) Davis has almost zero success on ground balls.  This could be improved by going the opposite way and explains why the shift will not go away for him.

Davis no longer consistently makes hard contact.  It will be interesting to see what the "new" approach brings.  Will a smaller Davis, be a quicker Davis?  Will a smaller Davis be able to make the type of contact that will return him to being a feared hitter?  But the comments seem to indicate he thinks the shift is a big part of his failings.  He also seems to think that while analytics can't hurt, he know what he needs to do and and seems resistant to actually change.

“The biggest thing for me is how do you adapt without changing who you are as a hitter, but also still doing something to be competitive? 

As Enjoy Terror says above.  When your one skill is power hitting but you cannot hit for contact...In, fairness I do not know what he should be saying.  But I would say that Mike Elias was on the right track.

Elias said:  “To me, this lineup and this team is at its best with a productive Chris Davis, a dangerous Chris Davis in the middle of the lineup, so I want to see that happen,” 

We all do Chris.