Sign in to follow this  
jrobb21613

Orioles Hire Harford JUCO coach for minor league hitting coach

How can you not be excited the direction the organization is headed? I am absolutely pumped up. Mike Elias is going to lead the Orioles to a world series championship. I would bet money on that.

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1

Very happy for Tom. I am a pitching coach and former head coach in MDJUCO and experienced first hand for over a dozen years his team’s approach. I feel like we gave up most of the HR and BB but I suspect most of his opponents feel that way. He has taken a lot of grief for his style but he certainly stuck to his beliefs. Any idea where he’ll be? 

• Upvote 2

10 minutes ago, MCO'sFan said:

Very happy for Tom. I am a pitching coach and former head coach in MDJUCO and experienced first hand for over a dozen years his team’s approach. I feel like we gave up most of the HR and BB but I suspect most of his opponents feel that way. He has taken a lot of grief for his style but he certainly stuck to his beliefs. Any idea where he’ll be? 

Not sure, the O’s have job postings for MiLB coaches up on job sites, but the affiliates aren’t specified.

https://www.indeed.com/m/viewjob?jk=46a558293cf1052a&from=serp

• Upvote 1

Aberdeen makes sense because there was a hitting coach opening there and he’s already based in Harford County.  Seems like a perfect fit for him.

I think this hire points to the answer from an earlier thread, about a single stat for hitters that might correspond to Elias's focus on pitcher Ks: Walks. 

Actually both sides of that equation feature in Melewski's latest post on Kremer. Of course, HRs and extra-base hits won't hurt either, and it appears these are strengths of Eller's as well.

If I were the os I'd shop around for four more with similar traits from their college teams and hire them all for all of our minor league affiliates. Teach this philosophy from the top down. 

• Upvote 1

Just now, higgybaby said:

If I were the os I'd shop around for four more with similar traits from their college teams and hire them all for all of our minor league affiliates. Teach this philosophy from the top down. 

Sounds more like from the bottom up.  😉

2 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Sounds more like from the bottom up.  😉

As soon as I finished hitting reply I thought that too.  Lol