Sign in to follow this  
Tony-OH

2019 Spring Training Tracker

42 minutes ago, Philip said:

Should we be surprised that Alex Wells did not get an invite?

No, not really. The only surprise in my mind was the lack of invite to Keegan Akin, but I'm wondering if it has more to do with his penchant for showing up to spring training in less than great condition.

51 minutes ago, Philip said:

Should we be surprised that Alex Wells did not get an invite?

8 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

No, not really. The only surprise in my mind was the lack of invite to Keegan Akin, but I'm wondering if it has more to do with his penchant for showing up to spring training in less than great condition.

Wells hasn’t played above A ball yet, so it’s not surprising at all that he didn’t get an invite.   Akin spent all year in AA and was Eastern League pitcher of the year and Orioles MiL co-pitcher of the year.   I was quite surprised he didn’t get an invite, but it may just be a case of not wanting too many pitchers in camp who aren’t really candidates to start 2019 on the 25-man roster.    

Orioles Pitchers and Catchers now report on February 12th instead of the 13th. First full squad workout is February 18th.

One extra day might not really mean much. This gives the posters in Florida or who are traveling there an extra day to see some of the team.

http://forum.orioleshangout.com/forums/index.php?/topic/33784-orioles-bump-up-reporting-dates/

Adding this here for others, so they don't have to dig (as this is now on page 7)

On 2/4/2019 at 12:02 PM, Tony-OH said:

Melewski wrote a pretty good article today about what Akin’s been doing this winter.    As to not getting invited to big league camp, Akin said “I get it, got to work your way up there with new management.”   Good attitude.   http://www.masnsports.com/steve-melewski/2019/02/os-keegan-akin-on-michigan-winter-workouts-2019-outlook.html

Here’s a suggestion. Mountcastle, by all accounts, has terrible defense, and we are desperately hoping that we can find a position where he can play. The complaints about his defense are so common and so severe that it must be a legitimate problem. However, he’s a top-five prospect, so how about trying him at first base, seeing if he plays well enough there and then exploring trading him?

Trumbo plays horrible defense in the outfield.

Trumbo has consistently failed to hit when he is the DH.

Mancini plays below average defense in the outfield but has shown that he can hit when he is the DH.

My preference is that they play Trumbo at 1B to try to rebuild his value without doing terrible harm to team defense.

Mancini should DH.

Davis should start at 1B until Trumbo is ready and then be benched.

2 hours ago, NCRaven said:

Let's just hope and pray that Davis can play baseball.

• Upvote 1

On 2/6/2019 at 3:21 PM, Enjoy Terror said:

Let's just hope and pray that Davis can play baseball.

I just be glad when ST starts. 

On 2/6/2019 at 12:48 PM, NCRaven said:

Trumbo plays horrible defense in the outfield.

Trumbo has consistently failed to hit when he is the DH.

Mancini plays below average defense in the outfield but has shown that he can hit when he is the DH.

My preference is that they play Trumbo at 1B to try to rebuild his value without doing terrible harm to team defense.

Mancini should DH.

I prefer Mancini at 1st. Davis as the DH. I don't think Trumbo can be counted on. 

1 hour ago, Tx Oriole said:

I prefer Mancini at 1st. Davis as the DH. I don't think Trumbo can be counted on. 

My assumptions are that at some point Trumbo will be healthy and on the 25 man roster and that management will want to maximize his trade value (if any) by the end of July.  

But, more importantly, you don't think that Trumbo can be counted on so you're going to put Chris Davis at DH?  Davis is the one that you're going to count on out of those two.  Oooookaaaaaay....

1 hour ago, NCRaven said:

My assumptions are that at some point Trumbo will be healthy and on the 25 man roster and that management will want to maximize his trade value (if any) by the end of July.  

But, more importantly, you don't think that Trumbo can be counted on so you're going to put Chris Davis at DH?  Davis is the one that you're going to count on out of those two.  Oooookaaaaaay....

Wasn't thinking right.

On 2/6/2019 at 12:59 PM, Philip said:

Here’s a suggestion. Mountcastle, by all accounts, has terrible defense, and we are desperately hoping that we can find a position where he can play. The complaints about his defense are so common and so severe that it must be a legitimate problem. However, he’s a top-five prospect, so how about trying him at first base, seeing if he plays well enough there and then exploring trading him?

Didn't someone say he could probably play a decent second base?