Sign in to follow this  
Tony-OH

2019 Spring Training Tracker

8 minutes ago, atomic said:

Didn't someone say he could probably play a decent second base?  

@Luke-OH had advocated for him to be moved to second instead of third when he got to Bowie, before he fills out. When I saw him in Frederick, he seemed stiff and wasn't that sure handed at short.

Next Saturday is the first Spring Training game, so I look forward to any news between now and then, especially if they have the "orange vs. black" split squad game again.

32 minutes ago, atomic said:

I don't believe he has the arm actions or strength to play a good second base, and he'll have below average range as well. I'd try him in Left Field before moving him to 1B.

25 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

I don't believe he has the arm actions or strength to play a good second base, and he'll have below average range as well. I'd try him in Left Field before moving him to 1B.

It is strange that if he doesn't have the arm strength to play second base why did we have him at third last season.  Transitioning to outfield isn't easy either.  Well if we need to platoon Trumbo and Davis to get him bats at DH or First Base I am fine with that. Hopefully if he moved to the outfield he would be better than Trumbo or Mancini out there.  

1 hour ago, atomic said:

Maybe but I haven’t heard that. I’ve heard DH or LF.

2 hours ago, atomic said:

It is strange that if he doesn't have the arm strength to play second base why did we have him at third last season.  Transitioning to outfield isn't easy either.  Well if we need to platoon Trumbo and Davis to get him bats at DH or First Base I am fine with that. Hopefully if he moved to the outfield he would be better than Trumbo or Mancini out there.  

I'm certainly far from an expert. I would think it's because you have to pivot and throw from 2nd, often off balance or even in the air. At 3rd you can set your feet and throw.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, scOtt said:

I'm certainly far from an expert. I would think it's because you have to pivot and throw from 2nd, often off balance or even in the air. At 3rd you can set your feet and throw.

I think they are moving him from most to least valuable defensive positions that they think he might be able to play (so no catcher or CF).

1 minute ago, Can_of_corn said:

I think they are moving him from most to least valuable defensive positions that they think he might be able to play (so no catcher or CF).

That could well be it also.

3 hours ago, atomic said:

I have on good info that the main reason for moving him to 3B mid-season 2017 was to try and fill a future Manny Machado sized hole. It was a shoe-horning. That wasn't the only consideration, they were also concerned about adjusting to batted balls on the other side of the infield, but it was the main one.  Some within the org wanted to move him to 2B instead of 3B and proposed that but those people weren't the decision makers. 

3 hours ago, Philip said:

Maybe but I haven’t heard that. I’ve heard DH or LF.

He wouldn't be good at 2B, but he's not a DH, he's more athletic than Valencia or Mancini. At the very least he's a 1B.

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, Legend_Of_Joey said:

Cael Brockmeyer is going to MLB camp now to take Sucre's place until his Visa issue gets resolved.

Wynnie will keep him under his wing and show him the ropes!

19 hours ago, Luke-OH said:

He wouldn't be good at 2B, but he's not a DH, he's more athletic than Valencia or Mancini. At the very least he's a 1B.

You seemed to have changed position with regards to 2B. Any reason?

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, Il BuonO said:

You seemed to have changed position with regards to 2B. Any reason?

I still think he should be moved there, I haven’t changed my position, but I know some who want an average glove at every position would be unhappy with it. I think he could be a Daniel Murphy type there.

I don’t think the goal should be to find the position he’s good at, but to find the most valuable position he can play passably. 

• Upvote 2