weams

Imagining that Hitting A Baseball is not the Hardest Thing in Sport

Players routinely make contact with a pitch 77% of the times they swing, and hit safely in 25% of their at bats.    

I’d say it’s harder to score a goal in hockey.    Fewer than 10% of all shots on goal score, and that’s not counting the shots that go wide or high or are blocked.    You’re on skates, the puck is coming from a million different directions, there’s a goalie taking up much of the goal, and there’s other people hitting you, putting themselves between you and the net, and poking at the puck with their sticks.   

Let’s not even talk about scoring a goal in soccer.    In MLS teams score fewer than 2 a game on average.   Even getting a shot on goal off in incredibly difficult.   Teams average like 5 shots on goal in a 90-minute game, in which the players are continuously running.  

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Players routinely make contact with a pitch 77% of the times they swing, and hit safely in 25% of their at bats.    

I’d say it’s harder to score a goal in hockey.    Fewer than 10% of all shots on goal score, and that’s not counting the shots that go wide or high or are blocked.    You’re on skates, the puck is coming from a million different directions, there’s a goalie taking up much of the goal, and there’s other people hitting you, putting themselves between you and the net, and poking at the puck with their sticks.   

Let’s not even talk about scoring a goal in soccer.    In MLS teams score fewer than 2 a game on average.   Even getting a shot on goal off in incredibly difficult.   Teams average like 5 shots on goal in a 90-minute game, in which the players are continuously running.  

I've got a much better shot at hitting a major league fastball than I do running an ironman triathlon.

• Haha 1

18 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Tangerines and pomegranates, I say!  Actually hitting a baseball and scoring a goal are two very different things, IMO.  Hitting a baseball versus making contact on a slap shot are somewhat close, but even Adam (freakin') Sandler can hit a slap shot.  😇

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, bobmc said:

Tangerines and pomegranates, I say!  Actually hitting a baseball and scoring a goal are two very different things, IMO.  Hitting a baseball versus making contact on a slap shot are somewhat close, but even Adam (freakin') Sandler can hit a slap shot.  😇

He can also (supposedly) golf.

Catching a pass going across the middle with a safety lurking nearby.  Not hard to catch the pass but are you gonna put your arms up and risk getting rocked in the ribs?  Might not be the hardest thing to do but I'd say it could be one of the scariest.  And therefore one of the hardest.

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

But, but, but that’s not what Ted Williams said. 😃

12 minutes ago, VaBird1 said:

Just because you are a pitcher, doesn't mean you can't hit.  

You’d have a tough time proving that. 

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

Not an even comparison.  Scoring a goal in hockey is arguably the equivalent of a home run.   Same for scoring a goal in soccer. 

However, both of your examples aren’t really the equivalent of hitting a baseball.  The actual kicking or striking of the ball/puck so that it is on goal would be the equivalent of hitting a baseball. 

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, baltfan said:

Not an even comparison.  Scoring a goal in hockey is arguably the equivalent of a home run. 

If MLB games averaged six homeruns per game.

• Upvote 1

20 minutes ago, VaBird1 said:

Just because you are a pitcher, doesn't mean you can't hit.  

I think some folks were saying they preferred Britton in a clutch at bat than Davis in recent years. 

• Haha 2

44 minutes ago, Cy Bundy said:

Is Zach a better hitter than Buck?  Manager?  (Oh Buck Britton)

• Haha 1