weams

Imagining that Hitting A Baseball is not the Hardest Thing in Sport

2 minutes ago, baltfan said:

Not an even comparison.  Scoring a goal in hockey is arguably the equivalent of a home run. 

Not really, but I agree that it’s not exactly analogous with getting a hit either.    

I think the truth is there is no one “most difficult thing to do in sports.”    In any sport, talent rises to the top and the better you are the better the competition you face.    Doing any sport at a professional level is incredibly difficult.    It’s chauvinistic to say hitting is the most difficult thing to do in sports.    I love baseball best, but all sports are very difficult.   

• Like 1

This is definitely the dumbest argument in sports. 

More related anectdotes: I could hit a baseball when I was a toddler. I can hit a baseball now when I’m in my early 50’s. It’s actually pretty easy for humans. Turns out sticks and stones are essential parts of the human toolkit and playing ball games with sticks is almost universal across ancient cultures. It’s literally in our genes. 

Just now, NashLumber said:

I think some folks were saying they preferred Britton in a clutch at bat than Davis in recent years. 

I even heard murmurs for Flash during his hot streak.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Frobby said:

Players routinely make contact with a pitch 77% of the times they swing, and hit safely in 25% of their at bats.    

I’d say it’s harder to score a goal in hockey.    Fewer than 10% of all shots on goal score, and that’s not counting the shots that go wide or high or are blocked.    You’re on skates, the puck is coming from a million different directions, there’s a goalie taking up much of the goal, and there’s other people hitting you, putting themselves between you and the net, and poking at the puck with their sticks.   

Let’s not even talk about scoring a goal in soccer.    In MLS teams score fewer than 2 a game on average.   Even getting a shot on goal off in incredibly difficult.   Teams average like 5 shots on goal in a 90-minute game, in which the players are continuously running.  

That's not really the point of the video. It's almost unbelievable that players can even make contact with a 95mph fastball because it takes longer to blink than the amount of time hitters have to register the image of the ball and then swing. It is amazing that the human body can even do it. 

While it might be more difficult to score a goal in soccer or hockey, the physical act of kicking a ball or hitting a puck that a player often has possession of isn't really pushing the limits of what the human body can do. The difficulty there is the skill - having yourself in the right position, knowing the goalie's tendencies, etc.

• Upvote 2

56 minutes ago, Ohfan67 said:

More related anectdotes: I could hit a baseball when I was a toddler. I can hit a baseball now when I’m in my early 50’s. It’s actually pretty easy for humans. Turns out sticks and stones are essential parts of the human toolkit and playing ball games with sticks is almost universal across ancient cultures. It’s literally in our genes. 

I think it's hard to do. 

6 minutes ago, Ohfan67 said:

Did you and your buddies hit 0.000 in little league?

I did but I was aces at leaning in and taking one off the arm.

51 minutes ago, Ohfan67 said:

I was being a bit facetious because Frobby nailed it. All of the “tasks” in most if not all professional sports are not that hard for many humans to do. Otherwise the sports wouldn’t be adults playing a kids game. I think the biological reality is that the amazing things your brain and the rest of your body do when you complete a long pass to a sprinting receiver is not very different from the amazing things your brain and the rest of your body does when you hit a baseball. We are all built to do these things. And of course professional athletes who play these sports are way, way, way better than your average person. It would be interesting to see if a biophysics/functional anatomy type scientist has thought about this question. But even their answer wouldn’t really tell us much (eg, they might find that more neurons are involved in one task or another but that doesn’t mean it’s “harder”). I understand why it is fun to consider these type of questions, but it ultimately equivalent to Batman versus Superman arguments of little kids. 

3 hours ago, Ohfan67 said:

More related anecdotes: I could hit a baseball when I was a toddler. I can hit a baseball now when I’m in my early 50’s. It’s actually pretty easy for humans. Turns out sticks and stones are essential parts of the human toolkit and playing ball games with sticks is almost universal across ancient cultures. It’s literally in our genes. 

Ancient astronaut theorists say "Yes!" 👽

Edited by OsEatAlEast
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Ohfan67 said:

I think it'd be difficult to be a hitter in the MLB. That's just me. I was never an athelete. Catching a football to me would be easier than hitting a baseball. JIMO

11 hours ago, bobmc said:

Tangerines and pomegranates, I say!  Actually hitting a baseball and scoring a goal are two very different things, IMO.  Hitting a baseball versus making contact on a slap shot are somewhat close, but even Adam (freakin') Sandler can hit a slap shot.  😇

I can score a goal on skates. I cannot hit an MLB fastball.  Or compete Ironman. 

I’m infinitely more impressed by Eliud Kipchoge, who ran a 2:01:39 marathon in Berlin last year, or by Alex Honnold, who scaled Yosemite’s El Capitan without ropes in 2017 than I am by any of the tens of thousands of people who have collected a hit in professional baseball.

8 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

I did but I was aces at leaning in and taking one off the arm.

I hit a home run with the bases loaded to win a game   They took me for ice cream. I don’t think I can hit in the 70 mph cage.