Greg Pappas

2019 NFL Draft

With the Super Bowl behind us, this felt like the right time to begin an NFL Draft thread. The Ravens are currently scheduled to receive the following eight picks:

• 1st (#22)
  • 3rd (#85)
  • 3rd (#102-- Ryan Jensen comp pick)
  • 4th (#113--Pick from Broncos in the Flacco trade)
  • 4th (#123)
  • 5th (#160)
  • 6th (#191-- Pick from Titans in Kamalei Correa trade)
  • 6th (#193)

Facts and other items of interest:

• NFL Draft is Thursday April 25th through Saturday April 27th.
  • The Draft Combine takes place between February 26 – March 4. 
  • Free Agency begins March 13th.
  • Here is the NFL's website with prospect info: https://www.nfl.com/draft/tracker/prospects

The current 1st-round draft order:

1 CARDINALS
2 49ERS
3 JETS
4 RAIDERS
5 BUCCANEERS
6 GIANTS
7 JAGUARS
8 LIONS
9 BILLS
10 BRONCOS
11 BENGALS
12 PACKERS
13 DOLPHINS
14 FALCONS
15 REDSKINS
16 PANTHERS
17 BROWNS
18 VIKINGS
19 TITANS
20 STEELERS
21 SEAHAWKS
22 RAVENS
23 TEXANS
24 RAIDERS
25 EAGLES
26 COLTS
27 RAIDERS
28 CHARGERS
29 CHIEFS
30 PACKERS
31 RAMS
32 PATRIOTS
  • Upvote 1

On 2/5/2019 at 1:19 PM, Greg Pappas said:

With the Super Bowl behind us, this felt like the right time to begin an NFL Draft thread. The Ravens are currently scheduled to receive a 1st, 3rd, 4th, 5th, and two 6th-round picks, and are also expected to add a 3rd-round compensatory pick for losing Ryan Jensen this past season in Free Agency.

• NFL Draft is Thursday April 25th through Saturday April 27th.
  • The Draft Combine takes place between February 26 – March 4. 
  • Free Agency begins March 13th.

The current 1st-round draft order:

1 CARDINALS
2 49ERS
3 JETS
4 RAIDERS
5 BUCCANEERS
6 GIANTS
7 JAGUARS
8 LIONS
9 BILLS
10 BRONCOS
11 BENGALS
12 PACKERS
13 DOLPHINS
14 FALCONS
15 REDSKINS
16 PANTHERS
17 BROWNS
18 VIKINGS
19 TITANS
20 STEELERS
21 SEAHAWKS
22 RAVENS
23 TEXANS
24 RAIDERS
25 EAGLES
26 COLTS
27 RAIDERS
28 CHARGERS
29 CHIEFS
30 PACKERS
31 RAMS
32 PATRIOTS

https://ravenswire.usatoday.com/2019/02/06/ravens-full-2019-nfl-draft-order/

• Upvote 1

So Kiper has us getting the first WR off the board Brown from Ole Miss

McShay has us taking Metcalf and in his mock Brown is already off the board.

4 hours ago, Roll Tide said:

So Kiper has us getting the first WR off the board Brown from Ole Miss

McShay has us taking Metcalf and in his mock Brown is already off the board.

A WR would be an exciting pick-up. Metcalf looks like the real deal and I'd love it.

A more sensible pick for our team would be OL unfortunately...with LJ under center, more time in the pocket might help his pass ability. Are you a believer? I hope he improves on this during the year, but don't think he will ever have anything close to Flacco's accuracy.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, FastEddie said:

A WR would be an exciting pick-up. Metcalf looks like the real deal and I'd love it.

A more sensible pick for our team would be OL unfortunately...with LJ under center, more time in the pocket might help his pass ability. Are you a believer? I hope he improves on this during the year, but don't think he will ever have anything close to Flacco's accuracy.

Metcalf is scary to me because of his neck injury. I'd have to be real sure that the chance of a reoccurrence is very low.

OL would also be a good choice ...but no I'm on the side that thinks he was a terrible selection and the likelihood of a bust is very high.

I don't think he will ever be a 60% passer.

I'd prefer to see us deal back and add another pick or two, and then take an O-lineman (G or C) in R2. This draft has plenty of solid OL to choose from, even guys considered Tackles that could slot inside. We'll see how it plays out, but moving back would be very cool with me.

8 hours ago, Greg Pappas said:

I'd prefer to see us deal back and add another pick or two, and then take an O-lineman (G or C) in R2. This draft has plenty of solid OL to choose from, even guys considered Tackles that could slot inside. We'll see how it plays out, but moving back would be very cool with me.

The problem with dealing back IMO is that the Ravens have a number of very good football players but they lack star talent. The type that you don't typically get when trading back in round 1.

2 hours ago, Roll Tide said:

The problem with dealing back IMO is that the Ravens have a number of very good football players but they lack star talent. The type that you don't typically get when trading back in round 1.

I understand and agree we need star talent, but unless WR Marquise Brown is available, I don't see any WR that merits a pick at 22, including Metcalf.  I do believe Josh Jacobs warrants consideration at 22, but would be surprised- given our historical aversion to take a RB early. 

• Upvote 1

This draft is interesting, in that it'll be Eric DeCosta's first as GM, with Ozzie Newsome staying on as an adviser.  As a protege of Ozzie, will DeCosta carry Ozzie's draft methodology forward or will he do things that clearly break free of that? Time will tell... it always does.

22 minutes ago, Greg Pappas said:

I understand and agree we need star talent, but unless WR Marquise Brown is available, I don't see any WR that merits a pick at 22, including Metcalf.  I do believe Josh Jacobs warrants consideration at 22, but would be surprised- given our historical aversion to take a RB early. 

I agree but there should also be a couple of premium pass rushers available when we draft. The Ravens need to get back to drafting the BPA! They have an extra 3rd coming and perhaps a 2-5 from the Redskins for Joe.

Considering what they paid for Smith, Joe would be a gift for a number 2.

Just now, Roll Tide said:

I agree but there should also be a couple of premium pass rushers available when we draft. The Ravens need to get back to drafting the BPA! They have an extra 3rd coming and perhaps a 2-5 from the Redskins for Joe.

Considering what they paid for Smith, Joe would be a gift for a number 2.

Taking a pass rusher at 22 would be cool, as it's an obvious need and this draft has plenty of quality options. I'd be very happy with a 2nd-round pick for Joe.

• Upvote 1