Jump to content
Greg Pappas

2019 NFL Draft

Recommended Posts

With the Super Bowl behind us, this felt like the right time to begin an NFL Draft thread. The Ravens are currently scheduled to receive the following eight picks:

  • 1st (#22)
  • 3rd (#85)
  • 3rd (#102-- Ryan Jensen comp pick)
  • 4th (#113--Pick from Broncos in the Flacco trade)
  • 4th (#123)
  • 5th (#160)
  • 6th (#191-- Pick from Titans in Kamalei Correa trade)
  • 6th (#193)
     

Facts and other items of interest:

  • NFL Draft is Thursday April 25th through Saturday April 27th.
  • The Draft Combine takes place between February 26 – March 4. 
  • Free Agency begins March 13th.
  • Here is the NFL's website with prospect info: https://www.nfl.com/draft/tracker/prospects

The current 1st-round draft order:

1 CARDINALS
2 49ERS
3 JETS
4 RAIDERS
5 BUCCANEERS
6 GIANTS
7 JAGUARS
8 LIONS
9 BILLS
10 BRONCOS
11 BENGALS
12 PACKERS
13 DOLPHINS
14 FALCONS
15 REDSKINS
16 PANTHERS
17 BROWNS
18 VIKINGS
19 TITANS
20 STEELERS
21 SEAHAWKS
22 RAVENS
23 TEXANS
24 RAIDERS
25 EAGLES
26 COLTS
27 RAIDERS
28 CHARGERS
29 CHIEFS
30 PACKERS
31 RAMS
32 PATRIOTS
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/5/2019 at 1:19 PM, Greg Pappas said:

With the Super Bowl behind us, this felt like the right time to begin an NFL Draft thread. The Ravens are currently scheduled to receive a 1st, 3rd, 4th, 5th, and two 6th-round picks, and are also expected to add a 3rd-round compensatory pick for losing Ryan Jensen this past season in Free Agency.

  • NFL Draft is Thursday April 25th through Saturday April 27th.
  • The Draft Combine takes place between February 26 – March 4. 
  • Free Agency begins March 13th.

The current 1st-round draft order:

1 CARDINALS
2 49ERS
3 JETS
4 RAIDERS
5 BUCCANEERS
6 GIANTS
7 JAGUARS
8 LIONS
9 BILLS
10 BRONCOS
11 BENGALS
12 PACKERS
13 DOLPHINS
14 FALCONS
15 REDSKINS
16 PANTHERS
17 BROWNS
18 VIKINGS
19 TITANS
20 STEELERS
21 SEAHAWKS
22 RAVENS
23 TEXANS
24 RAIDERS
25 EAGLES
26 COLTS
27 RAIDERS
28 CHARGERS
29 CHIEFS
30 PACKERS
31 RAMS
32 PATRIOTS

https://ravenswire.usatoday.com/2019/02/06/ravens-full-2019-nfl-draft-order/

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So Kiper has us getting the first WR off the board Brown from Ole Miss

 

McShay has us taking Metcalf and in his mock Brown is already off the board.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Roll Tide said:

So Kiper has us getting the first WR off the board Brown from Ole Miss

 

McShay has us taking Metcalf and in his mock Brown is already off the board.

A WR would be an exciting pick-up. Metcalf looks like the real deal and I'd love it.

A more sensible pick for our team would be OL unfortunately...with LJ under center, more time in the pocket might help his pass ability. Are you a believer? I hope he improves on this during the year, but don't think he will ever have anything close to Flacco's accuracy.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, FastEddie said:

A WR would be an exciting pick-up. Metcalf looks like the real deal and I'd love it.

A more sensible pick for our team would be OL unfortunately...with LJ under center, more time in the pocket might help his pass ability. Are you a believer? I hope he improves on this during the year, but don't think he will ever have anything close to Flacco's accuracy.

Metcalf is scary to me because of his neck injury. I'd have to be real sure that the chance of a reoccurrence is very low.

OL would also be a good choice ...but no I'm on the side that thinks he was a terrible selection and the likelihood of a bust is very high.

I don't think he will ever be a 60% passer.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'd prefer to see us deal back and add another pick or two, and then take an O-lineman (G or C) in R2. This draft has plenty of solid OL to choose from, even guys considered Tackles that could slot inside. We'll see how it plays out, but moving back would be very cool with me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Greg Pappas said:

I'd prefer to see us deal back and add another pick or two, and then take an O-lineman (G or C) in R2. This draft has plenty of solid OL to choose from, even guys considered Tackles that could slot inside. We'll see how it plays out, but moving back would be very cool with me.

The problem with dealing back IMO is that the Ravens have a number of very good football players but they lack star talent. The type that you don't typically get when trading back in round 1.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Roll Tide said:

The problem with dealing back IMO is that the Ravens have a number of very good football players but they lack star talent. The type that you don't typically get when trading back in round 1.

I understand and agree we need star talent, but unless WR Marquise Brown is available, I don't see any WR that merits a pick at 22, including Metcalf.  I do believe Josh Jacobs warrants consideration at 22, but would be surprised- given our historical aversion to take a RB early. 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This draft is interesting, in that it'll be Eric DeCosta's first as GM, with Ozzie Newsome staying on as an adviser.  As a protege of Ozzie, will DeCosta carry Ozzie's draft methodology forward or will he do things that clearly break free of that? Time will tell... it always does.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, Greg Pappas said:

I understand and agree we need star talent, but unless WR Marquise Brown is available, I don't see any WR that merits a pick at 22, including Metcalf.  I do believe Josh Jacobs warrants consideration at 22, but would be surprised- given our historical aversion to take a RB early. 

I agree but there should also be a couple of premium pass rushers available when we draft. The Ravens need to get back to drafting the BPA! They have an extra 3rd coming and perhaps a 2-5 from the Redskins for Joe.

Considering what they paid for Smith, Joe would be a gift for a number 2.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Roll Tide said:

I agree but there should also be a couple of premium pass rushers available when we draft. The Ravens need to get back to drafting the BPA! They have an extra 3rd coming and perhaps a 2-5 from the Redskins for Joe.

Considering what they paid for Smith, Joe would be a gift for a number 2.

Taking a pass rusher at 22 would be cool, as it's an obvious need and this draft has plenty of quality options. I'd be very happy with a 2nd-round pick for Joe.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


Orioles Information


Orioles News and Information

Daily Organizational Boxscores

News

Tony's Takes

Orioles Prospect Information

2018 End of Season Top 30 Prospects List

Prospect Scouting Reports

Statistics

2019 Spring Training Stats

Baseball Savant Stats

Minor League Stats







  • Posts

    • Thought this guy deserves a thread after being pretty dominant so far... 4 shutout innings as a starter today gives him 8 scoreless innings at GCL so far. no walks and 6 K’s on the year leaves him.038 whip. so 0.00 ERA and .038 whip after 3 games. GCL shut out the GCL Red Sox today 2-0
    • What reasoning are you using to come to that conclusion?  He didn't in AAA, by 82 points of OPS.  He didn't in AA by 168 points.  He didn't in high A by 44 points.  Why would he in the majors?
    • So the two guys the orioles got back in the cashner trade have to be on the new list of 25 DSL prospects to watch. I would also assume that the Prado kid has to be our top DSL prospect right now based on his age and performance. 
    • Well, we'd still be contractually obligated to pay him, but I won't pretend there are differences.  And I do base part of that comment on the fact that I doubt others will try him out as a reclamation attempt.  If I were Davis, I wouldn't try another team if cut loose.  Well, hopefully Hyde does get decisions with the lineup and Elias gives him the 40 man.  I'd like to think they talk a bit, but if I were Hyde, I'd play the same game.  I'm not saying Elias is sabotaging the team on a level that others would.  My only point is cutting him doesn't really net anything at this point.
    • Go through an objective checklist.  Women's soccer today is a lot more like 1800s or early 1900s baseball than it is today's major leagues.  Small crowds, small salaries, leagues folding, limited history, teams playing in essentially community parks.   Just the salaries are a big indicator - the max individual salary for the league is $46k, and this is one of if not the top league in the world.  I have administrative assistants who make more than stars in the NWSL. The minimum salary is $16k - you can make that working fast food.  I'd guarantee you players have dropped out of the league because they can't make any money.  The talent pool expands and contracts with salary, and $46k isn't buying much talent.  The USWNT players make a lot more, the rank and file make the kind of salary you get as a starting elementary school teacher in Alabama. In 1871 many of the best players in the world were in the National Association.  It was the best baseball league in the world.  But objectively the NA is a low-level minor league compared to today. You can wish and want that today's NWSL is a high-level pro league.  But it simply is not.  Objectively it's on par with the BaySox or the Baltimore Blast.  It's a minor league paying minor league salaries, playing in front of minor league crowds, and on shaky financial footing.  
    • I agree, I'm just not expecting much of a return. Just dump his salary because Duquette should never have taken it on in the first place. The idea that we'd be able to flip a very flawed player like Villar for something of value was never made sense to me. 
    • I cherry picked the lowest year exactly because that was the lowest point once they got all the dead weight off the books.  To me that makes perfect sense.  As to your figure or my figure, I've recently mentioned that payroll estimates vary, I wasn't being duplicitous I was just using. http://www.stevetheump.com/Payrolls.htm That site had the Astros at $22,062,600 in 2013.  If the number isn't accurate, sorry but it certainly wasn't intentional.   My point is that the O's payroll in a similar spot in the rebuild is significantly higher than what the Astros had, that is true even accounting for payroll inflation.  I think that the higher starting point means we should not expect the Orioles to follow the same payroll expansion the Astros had.
  • Popular Contributors

  • Popular Now

×
×
  • Create New...