Tony-OH

1983 O's vs White Sox Game 3 on MASN now

17 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

Hey MASN, thanks for the streaming service, said no one ever.

Not seriously... ;) 

18 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

For a guy who is as clueless at the plate as Todd Cruz, he's not really that good of a fielder. 

I can only imagine the threads complaining about Cruz, and trading away DeCinces for Dan Ford if Orioles Hangout existed back in 1983. 🤣

• Upvote 2

26 minutes ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

I can only imagine the threads complaining about Cruz, and trading away DeCinces for Dan Ford if Orioles Hangout existed back in 1983. 🤣

Haha, no doubt. That DeCinces trade really set the team back a bit! They really thought Cal was his replacement! 

8 hours ago, Tony-OH said:

For a guy who is as clueless at the plate as Todd Cruz, he's not really that good of a fielder. 

He did hit those two homers in the second game of the year and have good facial hair though.

o

While we're on the subject of the the past, this was Brooks Robinson's final home run of his career (1977.)

o

6 hours ago, OFFNY said:

oWhile we're on the subject of the the past, this was Brooks Robinson's final home run of his career (1977.)

That really is great.  Brooks low fives a fan who came to celebrate with him at 3rd base.  No security tackling him.  Another fan climbs atop the dugout to try to join the celebration.  Not attention seekers, just avid fans.  Different times.

Edited by beantownrefugee
Formatting

On 2/5/2019 at 8:58 PM, Tony-OH said:

I remember when I was a kid the announcers saying Cruz was really a shortstop, so with him at third it was like having to good shortstops out there.  Being 12 I just nodded my head.

But... by bb-ref's figuring he was a +6 fielder for the '83 O's, and +7 in '84.  So +13 in about a season's worth of games is pretty darned good.  Brooks and Manny had a lot of years in that ballpark.

On 2/5/2019 at 9:18 PM, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

I'm still bitter about that trade.  Disco Dan Ford my #$%@$#%.  Doug DeCinces was the man, documented in the Doug DeCinces fan club newsletter posted in my treehouse.

Game 4 on MASN comes on in about 20 minutes at 830. 

Game 4 is the one of the greatest games in franchise history. 

4 minutes ago, eddie83 said:

Game 4 on MASN comes on in about 20 minutes at 830. 

Game 4 is the one of the greatest games in franchise history. 

The only time I ever missed a home football game at VT when in Blacksburg, I stayed in my dorm to watch that game.  

1 hour ago, SteveA said:

The only time I ever missed a home football game at VT when in Blacksburg, I stayed in my dorm to watch that game.  

I remember the game being on a Saturday. Channel 2 had Chuck and Brooks on the call but their entire coverage must not have been kept on tape. This version is the White Sox announcers. I know years ago MASN showed the Landrum HR with Chuck and Brooks call. When MASN first started they would show these little classic moments in commercial breaks and the Landrum HR was one of them.

I was just looking up Britt Burns. I had no idea he was only 24 years old in 83, his career was over in a couple of years. He came up as a 19 year old. Had degenerative hip issue. 

1 hour ago, SteveA said:

Out of curiosity I looked it up, I’m sure you know Va Tech beat Duke that day. A 9-2 season and no Bowl game. What a different world. 16 Bowl games in 83, this year 39. 

3 hours ago, eddie83 said:

Out of curiosity I looked it up, I’m sure you know Va Tech beat Duke that day. A 9-2 season and no Bowl game. What a different world. 16 Bowl games in 83, this year 39. 

Yep, and the famous San Diego Chicken made an appearance at the football game too which I missed out on.

But it was worth it.