Jump to content
interloper

Orioles sign Nate Karns

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

....  Also, they can cut him before spring training is over and save most of the money if it’s clear he can’t pitch, right?

This is a guaranteed major league contract. The O's are on the hook for $800k unless Karns violates one of the standard contract provisions.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, jrobb21613 said:

I do not fully understand arbitration. Would someone explain what it means for the orioles if anything that he has 1 yr arbitration eligibility left?

The first few years of your career in the majors, you have no choice but to take what the team offers you each year, basically the major league minimum for a guy with your service time.   (I think it starts at a little over $500K).   Maybe they will be nice and tack on an extra $50K because I like you, but otherwise, unless you negotiate a long term deal, you get pretty much the minimum.

After a certain amount of service time you become eligible for arbitration.   If you have not signed a long term deal and are still playing for you team on a year to year contract basis, you now don't have to get the minimum anymore.

You basically will get paid based on how much an arbitrator thinks you are worth, based on your performance over the past few years, sort of to simulate what you might get if you were a free agent, without actually setting you free to negotiate with other teams.

So you sumit a figure, and the team submits a figure.   The arbitrator has to choose one or the other, he can't split the difference.  So you are motivated not to ask for TOO much or the arbitrator would choose the team's figure; and the team is motivated not to offer TOO little becuase the arbitrator would choose your figure.   (You can avoid arbitration if you and the team can agree on a deal, usually one that splits the difference).

So having one year of arbitration left means that Karns can go to arbitration next year to determine his 2020 salary, and then he will be eligible for free agency in 2021.   So if he does well for us, he'll get a lot more than $800K next year.   But if we want to keep him, we have him under team control for 2019 and 2020 even though he just signed a one year contract today.

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, TheOtherRipken said:

Who are we going to cut loose for him?

 

1 hour ago, Legend_Of_Joey said:

Most likely Reinhiemer.

 

1 hour ago, Luke-OH said:

Reinheimer

 

1 hour ago, Legend_Of_Joey said:

 

I like my odds.

 

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, Enjoy Terror said:

First, you can’t have unlikely facts. 

Second there is plenty of evidence that ownership mismanaged this team into the ground and not Dan Duquette.

He was at the helm for three playoff seasons in seven years. Not everything he did paid off. I don’t agree with everything he did. He was here when we were competitive. 

He wasn’t incompetent.

Personally I would of been happy if DD came back. I believe the collapse in 17 and the 115 loss season last year had mire to do with Buck losing the team than it did with DD that being said I’m very Happy to have Elias manning the ship during this rebuild and even more so do have Sig Mejdal who I don’t believe we get without Elias.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, jrobb21613 said:

Personally I would of been happy if DD came back. I believe the collapse in 17 and the 115 loss season last year had mire to do with Buck losing the team than it did with DD that being said I’m very Happy to have Elias manning the ship during this rebuild and even more so do have Sig Mejdal who I don’t believe we get without Elias.

Sig is big deal.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
57 minutes ago, Enjoy Terror said:

First, you can’t have unlikely facts. 

Second there is plenty of evidence that ownership mismanaged this team into the ground and not Dan Duquette.

He was at the helm for three playoff seasons in seven years. Not everything he did paid off. I don’t agree with everything he did. He was here when we were competitive. 

He wasn’t incompetent.

It is indeed possible that a likelihood or unlikelihood can be a fact. As I said, Dan is gone, so there’s no need to rehash his era, but the people who doubt his competence have valid reasons to do so.

we’ll see how he does in his new GM job.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, SteveA said:

Donnie Hart has 9 lives

He’s the Stockstill of lefty relievers  

 

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, SteveA said:

Donnie Hart has 9 lives

nah, watch

 

analytics are gonna happen with Hart

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If he returns to form, his FIP numbers are really promising, especially with his K/9 numbers.  Throw that curve 40% of the time, see what happens.

Whose next? OF depth? Cuban SS?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Philip said:

It is indeed possible that a likelihood or unlikelihood can be a fact. As I said, Dan is gone, so there’s no need to rehash his era, but the people who doubt his competence have valid reasons to do so.

we’ll see how he does in his new GM job.

DD got a new GM job?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


Orioles Information


Orioles News and Information

Daily Organizational Boxscores

News

Tony's Takes

Orioles Prospect Information

2018 End of Season Top 30 Prospects List

Prospect Scouting Reports

Statistics

2019 Spring Training Stats

Baseball Savant Stats

Minor League Stats







×
×
  • Create New...