weams

Frank Robinson has passed

Dammit.  RIP.

Unfortunately I'm too young to have seen him play, but my first memories of him are being the manager of the 1989 team.  And seeing his smile on the cover of the video that I have watched probably hundreds of times and have committed to memory:

s-l300.jpg

And I remember meeting him after that season at an autograph session at a mall in Rockville, got his autograph and Gregg Olson's autograph, too.  I still have that picture of him somewhere.

A truly great ambassador to the game and one of the all time greats.  He is missed.  

• Upvote 2

I never had a chance to see him play (a bit before my team), but truly one of the all time greats. Condolences to his friends and family and hoping they can find some peace in knowing that his legacy will live on forever. 

On 1/25/2019 at 10:03 AM, weams said:

Send up your prayers. My favorite Oriole. 

Goodness that's so sad. Prayers to his friends and family. 

Frank and Brooks came to my elementary school in 1967 and I remember Frank and Brooks calling each other the Robinson brothers and hugging each other..a lot...an important and powerful statement to us kids on race.

Frank was always willing to sign balls and take photos after games at Memorial Stadium...He was an AMAZING player...his menancing, glowering, right on top of the plate stance led to leading baseball in being hit by pitches...he never rushed a pitcher, he would usually hit a homerun the next time up.

He is an amazing trailblazer as manager and as executive....we mourn his passing, but honor and celebrate his amazing life!   God bless his family and keep 5hem in prayers in coming days. 

• Upvote 4

o

One of my earliest memories in baseball was when I became an Orioles fan, in October of 1971 when I was in 1st grade ........  it was Game Six of that season's World Series.  My family was rooting for the Pirates in the World Series because they liked Roberto Clemente, so I rooted for the Orioles.)I remember that we won Game 6 when an Orioles runner slid home underneath the Pirates' catcher who had leaped in the air for the throw ........ I later learned that it was Frank Robinson sliding underneath Manny Sanguillen. I remember all of the Orioles hugging each other at home plate immediately afterward. I also later learned that Robinson almost single-handedly won that game for the Orioles in that final inning, hustling from 1st base to 3rd base on a single in which he had no business doing so, and then doing the same thing by scoring on a Sac-Fly on a very shallow fly ball to centerfield ....... Robinson's hustle on both plays was the biggest factor as to why there would be a Game Seven played the next day (the Orioles had been down 3 games to 2 prior to that Game Six.)

O

• Upvote 3
  • Like 1

Jim Palmer is on MLB right now and he notes Frank had been fighting bone cancer for a number of years.  You can hear Jim tearing up, very emotional.

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, OFFNY said:

o

One of my earliest memories in baseball was when I became an Orioles fan, in October of 1971 when I was in 1st grade ........  it was Game Six of that season's World Series.  My family was rooting for the Pirates in the World Series because they liked Roberto Clemente, so I rooted for the Orioles.)I remember that we won Game 6 when an Orioles runner slid home underneath the Pirates' catcher who had leaped in the air for the throw ........ I later learned that it was Frank Robinson sliding underneath Manny Sanguillen. I remember all of the Orioles hugging each other at home plate immediately afterward. I also later learned that Robinson almost single-handedly won that game for the Orioles in that final inning, hustling from 1st base to 3rd base on a single in which he had no business doing so, and then doing the same thing by scoring on a Sac-Fly on an extremely shallow fly ball to leftfield ....... Robinson's hustle on both plays was the biggest factor as to why there would be a Game Seven played the next day (the Orioles had been down 3 games to 2 prior to that Game Six.)

O

Seared into my memory. I remember being glued to the TV as a 9 year old when it happened. All alone in my grandma's den, no one else was interested in watching. My favorite Frank memory that I recall seeing in real time. And the baseball card from that game with the leaping Sanguillen was one of my favorites ever. 

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

The New Year's Day MASN showing of several of the '70 World Series games are still on my DVR. I may watch as much of them in the coming days as I can. Thanks for the reminder, Moose, with that Game 3 HR clip. 

• Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, backwardsk said:

When I was a young kid a stood in line with his baseball card waiting for an autograph.  A grown man pushed me away to get in front of me.  Frank Robinson wouldn't sign for that guy, but told me that one day I'd get big enough to push that guy back.

The Orioles are very fortunate to have him as part of their family.

Back in 88 or 89 I was in Arlington, Tx with a baseball bat. I'm disabled. I saw Frank and asked him if he sign my bat? He did but another guy came up asking for his autograph. Frank refused to sign for this guy. Made me wonder if Frank felt sorry for me as the reason he signed the bat or maybe he had compassion for someone. He will be missed. 

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

Dammit.  RIP.

Unfortunately I'm too young to have seen him play, but my first memories of him are being the manager of the 1989 team.  And seeing his smile on the cover of the video that I have watched probably hundreds of times and have committed to memory:

s-l300.jpg

And I remember meeting him after that season at an autograph session at a mall in Rockville, got his autograph and Gregg Olson's autograph, too.  I still have that picture of him somewhere.

A truly great ambassador to the game and one of the all time greats.  He is missed.  

I thought about it and I’m reasonably sure he was manager of the first game I went to. One Opening Day either in ‘88, ‘89, or ‘90, a bunch of my family members rented a bus and we went to the game. I’m inclined to think it was 89 or 90 since I would have been not even 9 months in 1988. Unfortunately I don’t know who we played. He really was a great guy and baseball man. And I think underrated. Not by those who know baseball but the casual fan. He’s a lot more closer to Mays, Mantle, & Aaron than he’s nkt.

• Upvote 1