weams

Frank Robinson has passed

I'm too young to have seen him play, but I was 13 in 1989 during the Why Not season and remember him as the Manager.  I remember one game where he got ejected for arguing a call and went on a Weaver-esque rant, holding his not to let the umpires know that they stunk, lol.  RIP to one of the greats.

• Upvote 1

I'm too "young" to have seen him play but the 1989 "Why Not?" team he managed was so fun to watch.  And came so darn close to the playoffs before the wild card era but the very year after one of the worst Orioles seasons ever.  

4 minutes ago, esmd said:

I'm too young to have seen him play, but I was 13 in 1989 during the Why Not season and remember him as the Manager.  I remember one game where he got ejected for arguing a call and went on a Weaver-esque rant, holding his not to let the umpires know that they stunk, lol.  RIP to one of the greats.

OMG I remember the holding the nose incident.  Classic Frank!  

• Upvote 1

26 minutes ago, FR500 said:

Thank you Mr. Robinson for some great years of Baltimore Baseball... and for giving this 68 year old many, many years of telling friends and family about one September night in 1971 when this 21 year old was fortunate to catch your 500th home run ball (on the fly) and was honored to give it back to you with no questions asked.

You have class, sir.

• Upvote 1

58 minutes ago, Redskins Rick said:

A true legend and very classy gentleman for sure.

Not to take anything away, I thought Oriole Magic was Wild Bill Haggy's claim to fame??????

I just meant that the Orioles’s winning ways began with Frank

o

I remember reading in one of his biographies when I was a kid that Robinson was beaned in the head early in his career when he played for the Reds. Robinson said that for the first time in his life, he actually had a problem with being afraid of the ball (pitch) immediately upon returning to the lineup after the beaning. Fortunately for him, he was able to overcome the fear by simply forcing himself to stand in the batter's box, and the fright gradually dissipated over time.

A side-note to Robinson's beaning ...... before the game, Robinson promised a sports reporter that he would give him a post-game interview.

Not wanting to renege on his promise, Robinson actually went to said sportswriter's office after being released from the hospital that night, and gave the interview to the man, who was absolutely stunned to see Robinson walk through the door and say, "Are you ready for the interview?"  )  :eek:

Fear is Banished

(The Milwaukee Journal, 1961)

https://news.google.com/newspapers?nid=1499&dat=19610803&id=P2AaAAAAIBAJ&sjid=-yYEAAAAIBAJ&pg=7404,1454817&hl=en

o

• Upvote 1

I wish I was old enough to have have seen him play. I know almost nothing of his career but what’s written about it.

An Orange HERE flag would be a cool giveaway this year.

A Baltimore Orioles legend!  As noted before, statues of the man in three baseball cities.  I was fortunate to have a few words with Frank Robinson during Ripken's HoF weekend after paying for his autograph.  I met lots of legends that day and all were nice, but Bob Feller and Frank Robinson were by far the two nicest.

A life well lived!  RIP Frank Robinson.