Sign in to follow this  
bpilktree

Nats Trevor Gott designated for assignment

3 hours ago, Yardball85 said:

You know full well the Orioles cannot release Hart.  They can't "quit" him. 

But yes, I think this would be a good guy to take a chance on.

I’ll never understand why Donnie Hart is such a focus lately for someone who has to go. He’s at least had some iota of major league success. He’s a tail end of the 40 talent but I’d take him over a lot of guys still on the 40 including: Wright, Wilkerson, Alberto, and Yacabonis.

Edited by TheOtherRipken

7 hours ago, TheOtherRipken said:

I’ll never understand why Donnie Hart is such a focus lately for someone who has to go. He’s at least had some iota of major league success. He’s a tail end of the 40 talent but I’d take him over a lot of guys still on the 40 including: Wright, Wilkerson, Alberto, and Yacabonis.

I can agree that Hart and Wright both need to go.  It looks like neither will make the team out of ST and neither has an option.  They can be outrighted which  must be why they are still around.

Wilkerson and Alberto will compete for spots on the infield.   There are two or three spots open in the infield.  ST will determine if they can be valuable.  Wilkerson has an option..     Yacabonis  has a good chance  at being a long man out of the pen.  The O's are going to need a couple of guys in the pen that can go 4 innings. He has an opton left.

• Upvote 1

Standard response for any player DFAd .... “They have to be better than Wright and Hart!”

Good ground ball guy. I know we’re all in swing and miss mode, but our own could use a ground ball guy. For years we had O’day, Brach, and Britton. It would be nice to add Gott given that he’s had some success in the MLB, and is a different than what we have. 

What team would even claim Wright or Hart?  The “good” teams have much better options. The “bad” teams wouldn’t  want older players that have no options. 

On the surface keeping Wright because he’s Brady’s boy seems harmless, but it’s one less roster spot for the GM to play the waiver wire game with. It’s probably all useless anyway, but what if we could have turned Wright’s spot on the 40 man into 2-3 players through the waiver wire claim/DFA game?  

Neither Wright nor Hart have ever been outrighted.    So if Elias keeps them on the roster until right before opening day and they puts them on waivers that is probably the better chance for them to go unclaimed.    If clear waivers they have to accept the assignment to the O's minors.   Elias may be considering this to add depth to the minor league system.

I just don't know if they last on the 40 man roster until opening day if Elias keeps adding FA and players off the waiver wire.

• Upvote 1

On 2/8/2019 at 8:31 PM, weams said:

Beat me to it! And I was just gonna post the Zepp version.

Never heard that one! :D

• Upvote 1