weams

Rich Dubroff: Joe Angel not returning.

1 minute ago, Moose Milligan said:

It's not always about you, CoC.  Sheesh.  

I was just warning you before you had what you thought was a bright idea.

1 minute ago, Can_of_corn said:

I was just warning you before you had what you thought was a bright idea.

I mean, I was gonna invite you to watch Interloper flail about while Hunter and Dempsey blabber away.  

2 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

I mean, I was gonna invite you to watch Interloper flail about while Hunter and Dempsey blabber away.  

You bringing appetizers?

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, scOtt said:

I always thought oh was an exclamation. Should have been Oh! I have slipped... :noidea:

Yes but it doesn’t work. “Oh” is the poetic equivalent of the, “yeah yeah yeah” we constantly hear in pop tunes. It just takes up a beat in the meter.

• Upvote 1

47 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

8Qpm.gif

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

o

"The Yankees are upset that the Orioles didn't schedule a doubleheader today ??? Big deal."

Joe Angel, 2 days after Mike Flanagan's suicide in 2011

o

1 minute ago, OFFNY said:

o

"The Yankees are upset that the Orioles didn't schedule a doubleheader today ??? Big deal."

Joe Angel, 2 days after Mike Flanagan's suicide in 2011

o

o

During his meeting with local reporters on Sunday, Showalter invoked longtime Orioles pitcher, executive, and broadcaster Mike Flanagan, who committed suicide last week. "I felt that some of the stuff was a little disrespectful to Flanny, quite frankly," he said. "That didn't sit with me very well. I can tell you that."

Showalter Fires Back at Irked Yankees

(By Erik Boand)

https://www.newsday.com/sports/baseball/yankees/showalter-fires-back-at-irked-yankees-1.3128015

o

1 hour ago, OFFNY said:

o

During his meeting with local reporters on Sunday, Showalter invoked longtime Orioles pitcher, executive, and broadcaster Mike Flanagan, who committed suicide last week. "I felt that some of the stuff was a little disrespectful to Flanny, quite frankly," he said. "That didn't sit with me very well. I can tell you that."

Showalter Fires Back at Irked Yankees

(By Erik Boand)

https://www.newsday.com/sports/baseball/yankees/showalter-fires-back-at-irked-yankees-1.3128015

o

I always hated Joe Girardi 

Oh, I am going to miss Joe. Probably caught a 100 games a year on radio. TV sound down. Radio up. Go ahead, Joe. Don’t know what I’ll do now, with at least a 3-5 rebuild ahead. Joe made the last half of the 14 year rebuild bearable. This is just as bad as when Jon Miller was let go, and Mel and Brother Lowh. Oh, no. Don’t forget Brooksie. In their stead, we get Hunter, Cerone and Bordo. Not saying the circumstances are the same. 

If this is Joe’s choice, he know’s the grind ahead, and he is due for a rest. I traveled at least 2 nights a week for 11 months a year for 16 years. Bus rides, taxi rides, bag drags, airport hassles, motels, no home cooked meals, getting in at  5AM after a 16 hour day including all of the above.  
I loved my job, too, but when my employer said I could retire, I did so with a smile. I hope he saved a penny or two along the way and finances are not a concern.

I remember Cerone. Don’t know how he got the job. A dyed in the wool Yankee. Always talking about them. Thankfully gone after a year.

Ken Levine. Another personality that was in over his head as a talking head. I heard a story that Jon Miller was not impressed and basically said,”I have to go to the can.”and left Levine holding the mike for 45 minutes. Thankfully gone after a year, too. 

Baltimore has been fortunate in having a stellar quartet of pbp announcers on radio in their 65 year MLB history. Ernie Harwell, Chuck, Jon Miller and Joe. Very fortunate. 

• Upvote 3

Ah man, what a bummer this is. Joe was such a joy to listen to, he was one of the best to do it. He will be missed, that’s for sure! Enjoy retirement, good sir. 

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, fansince1988 said:

Thank you Joe for your dedication to Orioles baseball! I grew up listening to Joe on the radio, and my dad still watches every game with the TV volume off and the radio turned on, mainly to listen to Joe. I'm going to miss his signature call at the end of each Orioles victory, "Orioles...are in...the win! column!"

I'm hoping Adam Pohl gets an opportunity to broadcast Orioles games. He has been calling Frederick Keys and Baysox games since 2006 and really knows the young players in the system.

https://staatalent.com/client/adam-pohl/

Adam is fantastic. 

• Upvote 1

Orioles fans have been fortunate enough to have either Chuck Thompson, Jon Miller, or Joe Angel (sometimes two of the 3) in the radio broadcast booth for at least some games in 55 of the past 57 seasons.    Each was great in his own way.   Heck, add Ernie Harwell to the list and we've had one of those four greats doing games in 61 of the team's 65 seasons.  

Whoever we hire (apparently on short notice) to take Joe's place will have some might big shoes to fill.