weams

Rich Dubroff: Joe Angel not returning.

17 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

I honestly didn't know that! 

I didn't either. Thought he just spoke Spanish really well. He doesn't have the slightest accent.

1 hour ago, scOtt said:

I didn't either. Thought he just spoke Spanish really well. He doesn't have the slightest accent.

He’s had 62 years of practice.  

3 hours ago, PaulFolk said:

Angel is a native Spanish speaker. He was born in Colombia and didn't speak English until he was nine.

I know. Still, he weirdly pronounced "Rodriguez."

On 2/9/2019 at 1:35 PM, Going Underground said:

Ben McDonald ,when he was being interviewed about Frank Robinson said he would be doing more broadcasts this year.

Ben McDonald is the worst. 

7 minutes ago, atomic said:

Ben McDonald is the worst. 

Wow! You're just against everything.

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, scOtt said:

Wow! You're just against everything.

I am not against anything. And the only announcer I dislike is Ben McDonald.  I like Bordick, Hunter, Palmer, Dempsey and Thorne.  Like Joe Angel as well.  

8 minutes ago, atomic said:

I am not against anything. And the only announcer I dislike is Ben McDonald.  I like Bordick, Hunter, Palmer, Dempsey and Thorne.  Like Joe Angel as well.  

I think Ben is the first breath of fresh air ...on the air... since Palmer? Brian Roberts is decent, Ben is GREAT. Your mileage obviously varies.

To each his own. :noidea:

• Upvote 2

28 minutes ago, scOtt said:

I think Ben is the first breath of fresh air ...on the air... since Palmer? Brian Roberts is decent, Ben is GREAT. Your mileage obviously varies.

To each his own. :noidea:

I am sure if Ben was doing all the games the same people complaining about Bordick would be complaining about Ben. 

1 hour ago, atomic said:

Hunter? C'mon.

17 hours ago, PaulFolk said:

Angel is a native Spanish speaker. He was born in Colombia and didn't speak English until he was nine.

I thought I'd heard that somewhere.  I think I'll trust him on the Rodriguez pronounciation.  

• Upvote 2

9 hours ago, Moose Milligan said:

Hunter? C'mon.

For as negative as atomic is about the O's, it's always been funny to me that he likes Jim Hunter. Maybe it's an equilibrium kind of thing.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, atomic said:

I am sure if Ben was doing all the games the same people complaining about Bordick would be complaining about Ben. 

No, they're different.  Bordick suffers from a similar problem as Dempsey - they're rose-colored glasses wearing homers.  Ben doesn't strike me the same way, but maybe if we give him enough time.

You also get a bit more rope if you sound like you just rolled out of the bayou, and don't act like you know everything.  Like Dizzy Dean, who was a well-loved announcer in the 50s.  Not because he was objectively good in a Mel Allen or Chuck Thompson way, but because he constantly said goofy things in an exaggerated (but natural) Arkansas accent.  The 2019 Orioles don't need Mike Bordick telling us with a straight face that Austin Wynns is a couple of adjustments from hitting .320, they need Ben to tell us funny stories when the O's are down 13-2 in the 4th.

• Upvote 3

Sad news. Joe was great. We have been very fortunate over the years with our radio guys. Would Jon Miller ever come back? Could we get him back? I can't imagine. Anyway, I hope the next person is great too. 

I might sound crazy, but Hunter on the radio and Hunter on tv are totally different to me. I don't mind Hunter on the radio. I chuckle at his homerism. On tv, I cannot stand the guy. Like, I want to poke holes in my eyeballs. 

Ben McDonald is awesome and so much superior to Bordick, it's ridiculous. Can't we just hire Bordick as an instructional coach, let him handle the infield defense and get him out of the booth. That's where Bordick's heart is. C'mon Elias!