weams

Rich Dubroff: Joe Angel not returning.

6 minutes ago, jtschrei said:

Sad news. Joe was great. We have been very fortunate over the years with our radio guys. Would Jon Miller ever come back? Could we get him back? I can't imagine. Anyway, I hope the next person is great too. 

I might sound crazy, but Hunter on the radio and Hunter on tv are totally different to me. I don't mind Hunter on the radio. I chuckle at his homerism. On tv, I cannot stand the guy. Like, I want to poke holes in my eyeballs. 

Ben McDonald is awesome and so much superior to Bordick, it's ridiculous. Can't we just hire Bordick as an instructional coach, let him handle the infield defense and get him out of the booth. That's where Bordick's heart is. C'mon Elias! 

I bet Miller is gonna be with the Giants till retirement. He’s a Bay Area native. As for Bordick, I doubt Elias has any say in broadcasters. But yeah there’s something about Hunter. He’s too cheerful. I don’t need a cynic but he’s always been too upbeat for a franchise that’s been subpar more than not during his time here. 

Joe Angel is an instituion for O's fans, and O's fans will have to be institutionalized if they listen to the broadcast duo of Mike Bordick and Jim Hunter.  Nice guys but bad broadcasters - though actually Hunter - as bad as he is on tv - was not bad on radio.    

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, clapdiddy said:

I think Hunter is a fine radio guy.   He is too much of a homer, but I think he does a pretty good job of calling the game.

I agree, he is better on the radio.  

I'll echo the sentiment here.

I actually enjoy listening to Hunter on the radio, but find him fairly intolerable on TV.  Not really sure if I've ever felt that way about another announcer before.   Then again it is hard to hold a candle to the Thorne / Palmer dynamic duo.

Very sad to add Joe Angel to the Jon Miller, Chuck Thompson history pages.  As someone who doesn't get to see games, but listens almost nightly, I cannot tell you how sad this is.  There have been nights I got so nervous, I just got in the car and drove.  Once I made it all the way to Fredricksburg before I realized I was two hours from home.  I swear I can no longer recall the exact game, but I do seem to recall it was in the 7th inning when I left.  Anyway, my wife still jokes that I didn't even bother to pick up milk while I was out....

I'll edit to say this is perhaps a good time to begin a new chapter and I hope that whoever takes over...that we will soon be treated to the same standard Oriole fans have come to love and expect.

• Upvote 3
  • Like 1

42 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

I agree, he is better on the radio.  

Yeah...his problem with television is that he calls it like he's still on radio.   That's what made Jon Miller so good.   He could change his style dependent on the media.

1 hour ago, clapdiddy said:

I think Hunter is a fine radio guy.   He is too much of a homer, but I think he does a pretty good job of calling the game.

I’m not as down on Hunter as some here, but it seems he’s more suited to the opening day on field ceremonies. Sort of born to be a game show host kind of guy. I’ll miss Joe. And bring on Ben and Brian Roberts when available. 

• Upvote 2

I'll never forget growing up listening to games - we had an intercom system in the house with a centralized tuner in the kitchen. After dinner and before bed, I would go around to everyone's rooms and make sure their speakers were turned all the way down. Then right before I went to sleep I would make sure the dial (yes, the dial) was tuned to 1280AM and I'd slog on up to bed and turn mine all the way down until after Mom had come to tuck me in. Then I'd close the door almost all the way and settle in for the game. I loved Jon Miller and Tom Marr, but when Miller & Angel called games together it was really something special. I'd guess I was probably 11-12 years old at that point.

Thanks Joe!!!!!

I cringe thinking about listening to games without that guy only because there will be no more of these:

Baltimore Oriole's Delmon Young's Three-Run Double in the 8th by wbalradio | Free Listening on SoundCloud

• Upvote 3

53 minutes ago, Hank Scorpio said:

I'll never forget growing up listening to games - we had an intercom system in the house with a centralized tuner in the kitchen. After dinner and before bed, I would go around to everyone's rooms and make sure their speakers were turned all the way down. Then right before I went to sleep I would make sure the dial (yes, the dial) was tuned to 1280AM and I'd slog on up to bed and turn mine all the way down until after Mom had come to tuck me in. Then I'd close the door almost all the way and settle in for the game. I loved Jon Miller and Tom Marr, but when Miller & Angel called games together it was really something special. I'd guess I was probably 11-12 years old at that point.

Thanks Joe!!!!!

I cringe thinking about listening to games without that guy only because there will be no more of these:

Baltimore Oriole's Delmon Young's Three-Run Double in the 8th by wbalradio | Free Listening on SoundCloud

Intercom system?
You were lucky.
All I had was a transistor radio
Couldn't afford headphones so I'd keep it turned down really low
My old Dad used to say to me, 'Money doesn't buy you happiness.'
'E was right. I was happier then and I had NOTHIN'.
We used to live in one room, all hundred and twenty-six of us, no furniture. Half the floor was missing; we were all huddled together in one corner for fear of FALLING!
And you try and tell the young people of today that ... they won't believe you

BlankInconsequentialEsok-max-1mb.gif

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, TonySoprano said:

Intercom system?
You were lucky.
Couldn't afford headphones so I'd keep it turned down low
We used to live in one room, all hundred and twenty-six of us, no furniture. Half the floor was missing; we were all huddled together in one corner for fear of FALLING!

You had half a floor?  You lucky stiff.  :)

• Upvote 2

18 minutes ago, TonySoprano said:

Intercom system?
You were lucky.
Couldn't afford headphones so I'd keep it turned down really low

And went  to school every day.No snow days.Amazing always walking uphill in the snow.Snowed even in May.The newspaper on my feet were great snowshoes. The groul they served in the schoolhouse was delicious. 

8 hours ago, Ruzious said:

Joe Angel is an instituion for O's fans, and O's fans will have to be institutionalized if they listen to the broadcast duo of Mike Bordick and Jim Hunter.  Nice guys but bad broadcasters - though actually Hunter - as bad as he is on tv - was not bad on radio.    

Just find someone new.   There must be plenty of talented guys looking for their big break.  

• Upvote 1

On 2/9/2019 at 10:03 AM, bobmc said:

I loved Joe - loved his Spanish pronunciation of Encarnacion vice Gary's.  Loved his homie touches.  Good man.

But Gary is!  😍

Angel has most recently worked with Jim Hunter on radio broadcasts. Hunter has filled in on MASN telecasts when Gary Thorne, who is returning this season, is away.

Generally speaking, I'm a big fan of Thorne's. I think he and Palmer are phenomenal together... I still weep over losing Jon Miller (thanks, PA). He is the best to ever do it, IMO. I'm sure he's hating it out in San Fran, though. 

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Frobby said:

Just find someone new.   There must be plenty of talented guys looking for their big break.  

I wouldn't mind Adam Pohl giving it a shot.

• Upvote 1