Jump to content
wildcard

Who are the 25 O's on the Opening Day Roster

Recommended Posts

On 2/12/2019 at 4:34 PM, Tony-OH said:

I wouldn't say it's a character problem, but reports of him not being too active in hunting out information to help himself and his pitchers have come from multiple sources. Not a big "want to" guy who is more "Californian cool" than a baseball rat who searches for ways to better himself and his pitchers. Some of it could be immaturity, but did you ever ask yourself why Buck buried him when the team was going nowhere?

Still curious about what sparked the "yank him from the starting line up just before first pitch, claim he is sick, then send him down to the minors for 10 days" part last June.

Also curious, what do you think the 25 man roster will look like?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Legend_Of_Joey said:

Still curious about what sparked the "yank him from the starting line up just before first pitch, claim he is sick, then send him down to the minors for 10 days" part last June.

Also curious, what do you think the 25 man roster will look like?

I'm going to put out my "crystal ball" assessment after our new Video show is released on Friday.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I haven’t one of these in about 5 days so let me take a crack. Haha

Bundy, Cobb, Cashner, Karns, Hess

Givens, Bleier, Castro, Arajuo, Wright, Hart, Ramirez

Wynns, Davis, Villar, Martin, Nunez, Rickard, Mullins, Mancini, Trumbo

Sucre, Jackson, DJ Stewart, Jace Peterson

We start the year out not trying to lose any of the players that our out of options in the bullpen. They get the first crack. Then with the Hitters we go with versatility on the bench since the initial everyday OF defense is going to be a little shaky. Peterson beats out EY because he can play more positions. Plus Peterson is actually a useful part. A good guy to mentor Jackson in the ways of a UTIL guy. 

Edited by sportsfan8703

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, sportsfan8703 said:

I haven’t one of these in about 5 days so let me take a crack. Haha

Bundy, Cobb, Cashner, Karns, Hess

Givens, Bleier, Castro, Arajuo, Wright, Hart, Ramirez

Wynns, Davis, Villar, Martin, Nunez, Rickard, Mullins, Mancini, Trumbo

Sucre, Jackson, DJ Stewart, Jace Peterson

We start the year out not trying to lose any of the players that our out of options in the bullpen. They get the first crack. Then with the Hitters we go with versatility on the bench since the initial everyday OF defense is going to be a little shaky. Peterson beats out EY because he can play more positions. Plus Peterson is actually a useful part. A good guy to mentor Jackson in the ways of a UTIL guy. 

What possible chance does Jace Peterson have?  He doesn’t hit, and he doesn’t defend, and although he is fast, for once, speed is  abundant.

And I really think Gilmartin has a strong chance to make the team. He did well last year. I don’t know his options status, and that may play a role, but I strongly feel that Wilkerson would be a better choice than Peterson. Actually, I think it almost anybody would be a better choice than Peterson. No offense to him.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Philip said:

What possible chance does Jace Peterson have?  He doesn’t hit, and he doesn’t defend, and although he is fast, for once, speed is  abundant.

And I really think Gilmartin has a strong chance to make the team. He did well last year. I don’t know his options status, and that may play a role, but I strongly feel that Wilkerson would be a better choice than Peterson. Actually, I think it almost anybody would be a better choice than Peterson. No offense to him.

Gilmartin is on a minor league contract and though he may come up a some point during the season I don't think he has good odds on breaking camp with the O's because of that contract.  Much more likely to see guys on the 40 man roster to begin the season.  Same with Peterson.

Wilkerson is on the 40 man but has an option.   Martin, Jackson as Rule 5 guys that have to be returned if not kept and Alberto who in on the 40 man but out of options have better chances of breaking camp with the O's.  Performance will count but if any of these three players show something the O's want to keep they have a  better chance to stay than guys not on the 40 man roster or fringe players with options.

Guys on minor league contracts have to fill a void that no one on the major league roster can in order to begin the season with he O's.  There are two that I give a chance.

Carlos Perez at catcher if the O's decide to send Sisco down.  Sucre is hurting his chances by not being in camp and I think Susac has to show a lot more than he showed last year  to stay in the majors.

And Yaz in RF or as an extra OFer.   I think he has chance because the O's need help in RF. I think he outplays Stewart this spring as he did last year at Norfolk.

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, sportsfan8703 said:

I haven’t one of these in about 5 days so let me take a crack. Haha

Bundy, Cobb, Cashner, Karns, Hess

Givens, Bleier, Castro, Arajuo, Wright, Hart, Ramirez

Wynns, Davis, Villar, Martin, Nunez, Rickard, Mullins, Mancini, Trumbo

Sucre, Jackson, DJ Stewart, Jace Peterson

We start the year out not trying to lose any of the players that our out of options in the bullpen. They get the first crack. Then with the Hitters we go with versatility on the bench since the initial everyday OF defense is going to be a little shaky. Peterson beats out EY because he can play more positions. Plus Peterson is actually a useful part. A good guy to mentor Jackson in the ways of a UTIL guy. 

I like this prediction. I think I would substitute Rio Ruiz for Jace Peterson and I would substitute ... wait for it... Little Yaz for DJ Stewart. I think Little Yaz is going to light up spring training. I know I'm coming out nowhere with that, but that's my call. 

I think Ruiz and Nunez will platoon at 3B on the big-league team throughout the year. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Bundy, Cashner, Cobb, Karns and Tate. Yes! I think he seizes on his opportunity and becomes their best starter. 😳

1B Mancini

2B Villar 

3B Nunez

SS Jackson 

LF Stewart 

CF Mullins 

RF Rickard 

C Wynns 

Davis, Martin, Peterson and Susac.

BP Araujo, Bleier, Castro, Givens, Ramirez and Ynoa. Ynoa can step into spot starts and be the long man. It’s time to bid farewell to Wright. And Donnie Hart is not a ML pitcher.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

In other news, I think it is very troubling that Ortiz says that it was very hard for him to lose 25 pounds. That tells me that he doesn’t have discipline And he has to struggle to do something that is very important to him being a worthwhile major leaguer. That’s one Big reason he’s been traded at least twice, despite being a very high draft pick. Just another troubling move by Dan.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Philip said:

In other news, I think it is very troubling that Ortiz says that it was very hard for him to lose 25 pounds. That tells me that he doesn’t have discipline And he has to struggle to do something that is very important to him being a worthwhile major leaguer. That’s one Big reason he’s been traded at least twice, despite being a very high draft pick. Just another troubling move by Dan.

You ever tried losing that much weight? Not exactly child’s play. As a number of posters have noted, if he’s doing it right (working out) then he’s adding muscle which makes it doubly difficult.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Il BuonO said:

You ever tried losing that much weight? Not exactly child’s play. As a number of posters have noted, if he’s doing it right (working out) then he’s adding muscle which makes it doubly difficult.

When I started dating my wife I weighed 216, now I weigh 195 and I’ve kept it off.

I understand that it is difficult.

So what, that’s his responsibility as a major-league baseball player, and if it’s so hard, I would rather he be playing for somebody else, because it’s always going to be a struggle for him

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


Orioles Information


Orioles News and Information

Daily Organizational Boxscores

News

Tony's Takes

Orioles Prospect Information

2018 End of Season Top 30 Prospects List

Prospect Scouting Reports

Statistics

2019 Spring Training Stats

Baseball Savant Stats

Minor League Stats







×
×
  • Create New...